Please help support ClodTalk.com! Any contribution helps!! Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Keeping LEDs in headlight buckets

Talk about what bodies fit, as well as your painting, and body fabrication techniques here.
LAV25
First real R/C car: Tamiya Hornet

Keeping LEDs in headlight buckets

Post by LAV25 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:46 am

Sorry if this has been addressed before, but I couldn't find a thread for it.

What's the best way to secure an LED into an older (Clod, Bullhead) headlight bucket? The newer Tamiya models like the TT-01 have a screw-fixed bracket that keeps the LED from slipping backwards out of the bucket, but the older models just have a hole to slide the bulb into. They're about 5mm or 3mm, but not tight enough to hold fast under the pounding of offroading. I was thinking hot glue might work, Shoe Goo or CA would seem to be too permanent.

Suggestions?
Yeah, I'm the guy you saw hammering in screws with a pipe wrench, why do you ask?

132NHAF
Site Admin

Re: Keeping LEDs in headlight buckets

Post by 132NHAF » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:43 pm

I'd say hot glue, or Shoo Goo. Don't think the CA glue will hold up over time.
Scott T

Stickers...Get your ClodTalk stickers here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25953

It's not WHAT toys you play with, but that you play with toys at all that is important.

mavrick0
Approved

Re: Keeping LEDs in headlight buckets

Post by mavrick0 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:52 am

Shoe goo would be your best bet. Hot glue doesn't adhere very well and with the banging around it'll come loose.
A off roader may be able to jump and run around a track. A on roader may be able to run circles around the road but a monster truck will run over anything and everyone.