Basic aluminum polishing - how to

Talk about materials, fabrication, fasteners, soldering, and anything else here.
Loaded_Heavy
Approved Member

Post by Loaded_Heavy » Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:47 pm

Real good write up, and i too would like to say thanks, I've honestly NEVER messed with any type of polish before in my life through my time in being involved in this hobby or even in general, I have always sanded my parts, only my grits of paper wasn't so fine and i never did wet sanding on any type of metal other then an old bikecycle i had way back in the day, but with the info you've got here, i now know a much more important added step i can add to my polishing as my polishing always consisted of sanding and no polish. I've done my Bennett ad JPS which look real awesome but now i plan to go all out and do em again using the info you've posted here and see how much more awesome i can get em looking. I'm gonna do every step up until the polish, thats the part i don't ever find myself in bothering with as i've never did.

Dustin

Shelby VNT
Approved Member

Post by Shelby VNT » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:44 pm

Thanks Dustin. Glad the write up has been some help. The alum. polish is a quick and simple finish. It takes the least amount of time. The nice thing about it is that the polish seals the alum. and helps prevent any oxidation so the parts shine longer.
-Nathan-

Sufferin' Succotash

Loaded_Heavy
Approved Member

Post by Loaded_Heavy » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:24 am

Shelby VNT wrote:Thanks Dustin. Glad the write up has been some help. The alum. polish is a quick and simple finish. It takes the least amount of time. The nice thing about it is that the polish seals the alum. and helps prevent any oxidation so the parts shine longer.

ok well what about if you were to sand and get it all shiny and then have the parts clear anodized to help keep the shine lasting long as a polish would?

Shelby VNT
Approved Member

Post by Shelby VNT » Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:10 pm

That'd work good too. Probably more permanent.
-Nathan-

Sufferin' Succotash

Ballin Jenice

Post by Ballin Jenice » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:41 am

why didn't you just call them about it?
[size=0]Rent and Lease
Driver Lyric Taxi[/size]

Shelby VNT
Approved Member

Post by Shelby VNT » Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:04 pm

My tin can telephone does't have that kind of quality, long distance reception? :mrgreen:
-Nathan-

Sufferin' Succotash

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:09 pm

Shelby VNT wrote:My tin can telephone does't have that kind of quality, long distance reception? :mrgreen:
You should use a wax sheilded string, it cuts down on interference and improves reception. You should choose a long distance provider that uses copper technologies for maximum gain. It's spendy, but well worth the investment!

:P :P :P
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

oldShovelhead
Approved Member

Post by oldShovelhead » Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:10 pm

Here's another really great product - I think it's way better than Mother's, but that's just MHO.
http://www.satingloss.com/metal%20polish.htm

I may have posted this link before and if so sorry for the duplicate.

Loaded_Heavy
Approved Member

Post by Loaded_Heavy » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:00 pm

oldShovelhead wrote:Here's another really great product - I think it's way better than Mother's, but that's just MHO.
http://www.satingloss.com/metal%20polish.htm

I may have posted this link before and if so sorry for the duplicate.

AHHH!!!!!!!!! looky looky what we have here, much thanks for posting this bad boy. I think i'm gonna buy a bottle of this stuff and what also sold me was because REAL BIG RIGGERS USE THIS STUFF TOO!!! :lol: ok i'll just admit now that that is completely what just sold me :lol: also, like when guys see my shine, they'll be like DAYUM!!! how ya get that thing look'n that good and i'll be like..... well i use that same sht them semi truck guys use on their rigs, whats that? Mommy's polish "cough" mean Mothers polish, then i'll be like naaaw not that, it's SATIN GLOSS!!! run about 17 bucks a bottle. :wink: :lol:

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear » Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:06 am

You will get the best shine if you use a deburring wheel, cloth wheel, and different rouges.

BUT

The problem I have is I can't polish anything that has corners or pockets. The piece has to be generally flat. :? So this write up showed me I could do those parts with sandpaper!

Great! :D

Leadsledcaprice

Re: Basic aluminum polishing - how to

Post by Leadsledcaprice » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:35 pm

I know this topic is old, but I can say I know now I have a long project ahead of me w/my new Clod chassis coming! I plan on polishing it up a little before I bolt the whole thing together. Might take a while, but the parts, in general, are small tubes, so it shouldn't take too long. Great stuff!
Load it like a freight car and drive it like a NASCAR
Flatbedder's do it better with straps and chains!

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:38 am

It's always nice to revive old threads if you find them helpful. BTW, improving the FAQ forum was due in part to your project questions. Please put your two cents in as to an order of modification importance.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

mugen69
Approved Member

Post by mugen69 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:14 am

:D That is great info, the Axles look brand new. Ill send you my JPS rims. Just joking.