what blade for cutting aluminum

Talk about materials, fabrication, fasteners, soldering, and anything else here.
offroadford4x4
Approved Member

what blade for cutting aluminum

Post by offroadford4x4 » Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:01 pm

I have a sheet of aluminum that I'd like to cut into a shape for use as a temporary chassis for my clod. I've heard of people using scroll / jig saws but was wondering what the best blades would be to use. Like a fine tooth similar to a hack saw? Or course / large tooth like would be used on wood?

Thanks for any help,
Ron
:confuse:
Stock TLT 4wd/4ws 15x2 Orion
TLT crawler custom chassis & Bronco body
Xtended pede with Tamiya F150 body
Bennett Clod
HPI RS4 Pro3 w/ 53 F100 body
1/6 CXT w/ Nylint crawler tires
65 GTO ProStreet Project / Ghopper chassis

132NHAF
Administrator

Post by 132NHAF » Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:26 pm

My dad used a plain ol' wood blade. I'm sure they make metal cutting blades for scroll saws, but I haven't seen one yet.
Scott T

Stickers...Get your ClodTalk stickers here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25953

It's not WHAT toys you play with, but that you play with toys at all that is important.

jwrape
Approved Member

Post by jwrape » Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:26 pm

Personally I think a scroll saw is the best, you have more control over how it is cut so you can get better detailed cuts which means less trimming after you get done cutting.
I went to a paw shop and just bought a delta scroll type saw with a large table top that works great. It actually uses a hand hax saw blade but moves up and down real fast while you move the piece your cutting in any direction. Great for small parts like chassis or any other thing you can think of. It's just little bigger than a bench sander but about the same demensions and shape.
Thorp Big Brute,JrX10 (RC10 and JrX2 combined), 26.5" Nitro Swamp buggy, TLT/Emaxx Hybrid, 2 TLT Custom Scale Jeeps, 1 TLT Unimog, Blackfoot, Grasshopper w/black`foot conversion, 1/6 Jeep TJ & Misc. Vintage Sears RC

jwrape
Approved Member

Post by jwrape » Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:47 pm

Yea, I have issues cutting aluminum or drilling it for that matter. The aluminum usually cloggs the bit or blades before I get half way through. It sux.
Thorp Big Brute,JrX10 (RC10 and JrX2 combined), 26.5" Nitro Swamp buggy, TLT/Emaxx Hybrid, 2 TLT Custom Scale Jeeps, 1 TLT Unimog, Blackfoot, Grasshopper w/black`foot conversion, 1/6 Jeep TJ & Misc. Vintage Sears RC

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:12 pm

Aluminum does that and it gets worse the faster you try and cut it. You want a fairly coarse blade so that the shavings will drop out instead of lodging in the teeth.

Other hints:

1 - Put plastic packing tape (one layer ) on the top side of whatever you're cutting. The plastic helps to lubricate the blade and keep it from burning or binding when cutting wood, I'd suspect it would be similar for cutting aluminum as well.

2 - Go slow, the faster the blade speed and the feed speed, the hotter things will become as well as the blade will want to wander off course.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Ultima ST

Post by Ultima ST » Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:53 pm

Personally I like the band saw, no vibration!...

offroadford4x4
Approved Member

Post by offroadford4x4 » Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:36 am

cool. Thanks for the tips yall :mrgreen:
:confuse:
Stock TLT 4wd/4ws 15x2 Orion
TLT crawler custom chassis & Bronco body
Xtended pede with Tamiya F150 body
Bennett Clod
HPI RS4 Pro3 w/ 53 F100 body
1/6 CXT w/ Nylint crawler tires
65 GTO ProStreet Project / Ghopper chassis

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:23 pm

Ultima ST wrote:Personally I like the band saw, no vibration!...
Unfortunately, you can't do inside cuts with a bandsaw. :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ultima ST

Post by Ultima ST » Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:17 pm

Halgar wrote:
Unfortunately, you can't do inside cuts with a bandsaw. :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ya ya can! cut it (with the other band saw) then stick it in the hole and CA it back together! :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: Thanks Halgar, I didn't realize he wanted inside cuts.

allan
Approved Member

Post by allan » Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:08 pm

when cutting metal you'll want at least 3 teeth touching the metal at all times, so tooth count depends on thickness of metal being cut.

unlimitedhobbys

Another thing you can do to lessen the Galling

Post by unlimitedhobbys » Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:28 am

You can also take (Pectin) a light Wax used in Canning of Jams and jellys

and without Melting it rub it briskly over your aluminum to leave a slight layer of Wax then while you are cutting it helps to lube the teeth so to speak and also use the Pectin on the teeth of the Saw as well as it will help to keep the noise down and it keeps the teeth clean of Galling

also if you have sheets of Aluminum that you need Cut but you cannot find a suitable marker that works well for you . what you can do is Spray paint the surface with black primer in 2 light coats so as to keep it thin..then you can take your metal scribe and draw your design out and you will be able to see it clearly against the black contrast when cut Just use Carb cleaner or Jet paint remover to get rid of the black paint pirimer

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Sun Oct 17, 2004 5:14 pm

unlimitedhobbys - I think that you mean paraffin, not pectin! Pectin is a "gum" found naturally in fruits that causes jelly to gel. Paraffin is the lightweight wax used in candle making and various other products, and could be rubbed onto the surface of the aluminum to act as a lubricant.

If paraffin is used in this manner, then this info may be useful:

Paraffin is mostly found as a white, odorless, tasteless, waxy solid, with a typical melting point between about 47°C and 65°C. It is insoluble in water, but soluble in ether, benzene, and certain esters. Paraffin is unaffected by most common chemical reagents, but burns readily. In the United Kingdom and South Africa, the fuel known elsewhere as kerosene is called paraffin oil, and the solid forms of paraffin are called paraffin wax.

WeaverPulling

Re:

Post by WeaverPulling » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:47 am

Halgar wrote:
I know this is an old thread but technically a bandsaw can do inside cut ... especially the high end metalworking ones. Check this out ... http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-VS-V ... ter/G8144Z ... awesome bandsaw.
.... I'm always pulling for someone or something :lol:

Halgar
Administrator

Re: Re:

Post by Halgar » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:58 pm

WeaverPulling wrote:I know this is an old thread but technically a bandsaw can do inside cut ... especially the high end metalworking ones. Check this out ... http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-VS-V ... ter/G8144Z ... awesome bandsaw.
I think you're mistaking the ability of the saw to cut an "inside" arc and an "outside" arc for doing actual inside cut work where it requires sticking the blade through a predrilled hole in the work piece and cutting completely within an enclosed space. For that the blade needs an end, it cannot be a continuous band, therefore, a bandsaw cannot do inside cut work.

Think of it this way, you have a washer with a 1/2" inner diameter hole and you want that hole to be 3/4". Without cutting through the ring of the washer, a bandsaw cannot get to the center, unlike a scrollsaw or hacksaw where the blade can be inserted through the hole then reinstalled into the saw. I know, I know, if you wanted a larger hole in a washer you'd just use a drill bit, but you still get my point! :mrgreen:

charliechristmas58
Approved Member

Re: what blade for cutting aluminum

Post by charliechristmas58 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:39 am

Thank you MR WIZARD. on that wax thing. i would have use just plain ol ear wax. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming to the Lord,
"Wow, What a ride!"