Narrowed tires, cut and re-glued, explain the advantages....

Talk about materials, fabrication, fasteners, soldering, and anything else here.
Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear » Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:37 am

"from my experiences, thats not a good thing Lowgear"

well your more prone to getting a tire wedged in a crevas but you can navigate a course easier

kevinlongisland

Post by kevinlongisland » Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:21 pm

that was my point. i'm not saying a smaller contact patch is the same, because theory is not always the same as reality. But i was trying to show mathematically that contact patch size should not make a difference in traction with the same applied downward force. i could be wrong. I was trying to show that with a bigger contact patch, you have less pressure per unit of area, but you have more area, so your sum total is the same as a small contact patch. So you may not gain traction with a narrowed tire, but you may gain an advantage somewhere else. I have to set up a test and get some data to provide a scientific answer to this question. Or maybe I should just shut up, narrow some tires, and go crawl!!!!!! Sorry, I’m unemployed and spend too much time in front of this computer.

WR450F

Post by WR450F » Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:58 am

well i have more to say now :D

since i posted the coment about the crevices ive had some time driving my new cut stockers around and they are waaaaaaaaaaay better than the single duallys. they dont flop over, they have side walls now! :P and they arent as prone to "crack diving :lol: " as much as the singles.

and another thing ive experienced with narrower tires is that on off camber situations the truck tends to roll over alot more than my giant tracs. but thats expected :? .

and all that math mumbo jumbo lost me! :oops: :roll:

exploder

Post by exploder » Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:33 am

big tire divided by little tire......times the circumfrence of the multitude of the laturall unit.....equals i like skinny tires better than wide ones. :D

kevinlongisland

Post by kevinlongisland » Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:20 pm

exploder wrote:big tire divided by little tire......times the circumfrence of the multitude of the laturall unit.....equals i like skinny tires better than wide ones. :D
lol, yes, i'm going to shut up now and have fun out on the rocks! i just have to cut up some tires and try it out!!!

russell

Post by russell » Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:45 am

Its no use calculating weight per tyre if only half of the tread is touching in one certain spot , it has to come down to differing terrain,type of truck,weight of said truck ,type of wheels , tyres tread pattern ,colour of undies on said day and wind pressure. :? :shock: :D :P
In other words wde tyres are good for some things and narrow tyres are good for others.I was one of the first to cut and shut a set of tyres ,a set of Jumbo Claws on my truck Bumpy.Personally i think my tyres work extremly well......in some conditions in others i would prefer my Baja's .
My Baja's have a greater surface area and there fore are better on smooth rock , they act more like a drag car tyre,lots of surface area to grip.
On edgy,sharp rock i would prefer my cut and shut Claws cause they turn well,good for manauvarability,and they have lots of edges on all sides of the tyre.
So go for what you like or think about what sort of tyre would work well on the terrain you like to drive.

shagrat69
Approved Member

Post by shagrat69 » Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:17 pm

how bout have several sets of tires in diffrent sizes/styles/widths and change them out for the diffrent driving your doin. LOL thats what i'm tryin to get goin. i have a set of cut tread stockers, huge green MP tires (work real good and real soft), and a set of dually skinny's. i have acouple sets of stock clod tires that i'll be modding some time and then i'll have them too. i want to do the cut and shut thing with cut tread and them glued on side bitters. LOL also i have to agree that the skinny tires roll to EZ and if i don't need to worry about how wide the truck is, i prefer to run wider tires. they get more wrap around the rocks and grab on more then grip LOL. but thats also the type of rocks i'm on. more like coral rock and not smooth at all. the MP tires work real good without the foams on this type of jagged rock IMO. :D :D :D

kevinlongisland

Post by kevinlongisland » Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:38 pm

russell, well said. thats the answer to my question. thanks.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:57 pm

I like them because they are skinny! :lol: :roll:

First to "Cut and Shut" Russell

First to "Narrow" Dirk Digler
hahaha
:lol:

Russell.....had to throw that one in for old time sake.

kevinlongisland

Post by kevinlongisland » Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:05 pm

define "cut and shut" and "narrow" whats the difference?

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:06 pm

there is none.

just a little inside joke between russell and myself.

russell

Post by russell » Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:40 am

Yeah ,,,Dirk has this crazy notion that he is'' the man '' when he really knows that the only '' man '' is me .......LOL.

I now have nine sets of tyres to fit to either my Clod or my Jugg depending on conditions.

All that and i still cant drive to save my life.. :roll: :wink:

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:40 pm

Russell,
We are cut from the same mold.
I came in last place in my own competition....on the courses I built!!!! :cry:

Grizzly4x4

Post by Grizzly4x4 » Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:13 pm

In the words of Rick Flair (Pro Wrestler)

"Before you can be the man.....you must first beat the man! Wooooo"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am the same way as you guys. Every week I come up with something to better my rig when spending that time driving my rig would probly do more good. :lol:
If yer gonna be a bear.....be a Grizzly

PinchFlat

Post by PinchFlat » Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:45 pm

And I beat the man who beat the man... what does that make me? LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: