Durability of 4 link ends ????

Talk about materials, fabrication, fasteners, soldering, and anything else here.
taz11
Approved Member

Durability of 4 link ends ????

Post by taz11 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:57 am

I'm planning on making some upper 4 link bars for my current project viewtopic.php?f=46&t=28233&start=15

I've been looking around at the available parts and it dawns on me that I've never had a 4 link truck. I have no idea how much abuse the upper bars/ball ends take. It looks like my options are nylon/plastic m3 rod ends or m3/m4 steel or aluminum rod ends. The plastic ones are obviously the cheaper way to go but how tough are they? Do they wear quickly?
This truck is a little heavier than most available aluminum units I see on here. Not sure if I need steel ends or not.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
No space for shelf queens.....use it or loose it!

SFC K
Administrator

Re: Durability of 4 link ends ????

Post by SFC K » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:02 am

I have had pretty good luck with Traxxas and Axial ball ends. The Traxxas large (Revo) ones would probably be the best for that beast because they have metal balls that you pop in and are large, I have not had one break. I don't think they take as much abuse as you are think they will have on them. It all kind of ties together. What are you going to use for the upper mount on the axle?
Jeff

taz11
Approved Member

Post by taz11 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:11 pm

I'm still working on the mounts. I have some aluminum blocks I'm working on cutting down that attach to the front two gearbox bolts. I've also considered buying the Hot Racing ones that slip down in the stock steering linkage holes..... I was thinking they might loosen up over time since they are only tied in at the very bottom. I wanted to try my custom ones first.

My other thought was to get the Hot Racing ones and drill and tap them for an extra bolt higher up. I just worry about them slopping around in the holes and eventually breaking the case. I tend to drive my trucks pretty hard.

The way the truck is set up, the lower links take most of the force.
No space for shelf queens.....use it or loose it!

WantaClod
Approved Member

Post by WantaClod » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:10 am

I have had pretty good luck with the du bro monster end links

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:56 pm

WantaClod wrote:I have had pretty good luck with the du bro monster end links
They are good ones too, but more expensive than the Traxxas ones.
Jeff

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:20 pm

Yeah, they are comparable to the traxxas ones, but I like the revo (traxxas) ends better.

rocpede
Approved Member

Post by rocpede » Fri May 02, 2014 6:26 pm

I also like the revo rods ends and use them in all my builds. I have broke Du Bro's rod ends in the past, but never broke a revo rod ends
if you can't dodge it then ram it