How to make some links!!!

Talk about materials, fabrication, fasteners, soldering, and anything else here.
Heathen
Approved Member

Re: How to make some links!!!

Post by Heathen » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:30 pm

Dukk wrote:^ What are you looking for? Metal Supermarkets doesn't have much for tube or pipe this small but they do have solid round bar that can be drilled and tapped. A hobby shop should be able to get whatever K&S Engineering offers and it's all over ebay too.

And the difference between pipe and tube is that tube is usually heavier but most importantly, pipe is nominally measured internally while tube is nominally measured externally, ie a 1" tube will slide inside a 1" pipe.
I am makeing custom dual M4 steering links for my Dragoon as will as getting set up for my next build. viewtopic.php?f=46&t=29240&start=15
You mite have seen this post,
http://forums.rcpitstop.com/index.php?topic=32831.0

I do not have a drill press so round stock is not really an option for me.
Hooked since 95

charliechristmas58
Approved Member

Post by charliechristmas58 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:35 pm

You really dont need a drillpress but it helps. For years i used a drill and a vice you just need to get a punch tool to make your center notch and a stedy hand .
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming to the Lord,
"Wow, What a ride!"

Dukk
Approved Member

Post by Dukk » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:45 pm

^ Right. If doing a full set of links (16 holes to drill) it is probably worth the few mins to make a drill guide like shown on the first page.