Removing Glued Tires... Help please

Talk about materials, fabrication, fasteners, soldering, and anything else here.
Clod-a-Leaver Bob

Removing Glued Tires... Help please

Post by Clod-a-Leaver Bob » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:30 pm

I just bought a set of Proline Giant traction tires that are glued to stocked white clod rims. With foam inserts. He went way over board with the glue. And I want to remove the tires but save the rims, inserts and tires obviously. So just prying them off is out of the question for me. Thanks for any suggestions guys.

Irio - esos
Approved Member

Re: Removing Glued Tires... Help please

Post by Irio - esos » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:41 pm

I've always heard boil them, not sure what that'll do to the foam though?

cher9498
Approved Member

Post by cher9498 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:48 pm

boil them for atleast a half hour it will soften the glue right up to peel the tires off safely
duct tape is like the force it has a light side and a darkside and binds the universe together
(from a scientist on the history channel)

Clod-a-Leaver Bob

Post by Clod-a-Leaver Bob » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:26 pm

Won't boiling ruin the wheel???? It deformed every wheel Iv ever boiled

Tink-Tink
Approved Member

Post by Tink-Tink » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:50 pm

I've never had a prob boiling, you can also use acitone

cher9498
Approved Member

Post by cher9498 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:10 am

Clod-a-Leaver Bob wrote:Won't boiling ruin the wheel???? It deformed every wheel Iv ever boiled
it has always worked good for me you can't put weight on the wheel if the plastic touches the metal in the pan it will deform it.
i always bring it to a slow boil too (not to much heat too fast) i turn my stove to 5 and increase 1 every ten minutes or so with 1 or 2 tires in it. then i boil them for 30-45 minutes depending on the amount of glue . i also use tongs and flip the wheel every 4-5 minutes. this method has always worked good for me. you can't put room temperature wheels in boiling water that can damage them too.
duct tape is like the force it has a light side and a darkside and binds the universe together
(from a scientist on the history channel)

Budhatrain
Business Member

Post by Budhatrain » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:01 am

I always boil and haven't had a problem with the wheels.
Need Screws?! Check out Screw Loose Hex Head Hardware here at Clodtalk or go to http://screwloosehardware.com

Team Driver for 2 great companies, visit http://www.cowrc.com and http://store.rc4wd.com/

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Post by Diamond Dave » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:10 am

The advice to start at a low heat and gradually bring to a really soft boil is best.

I have done it a few times, and you can easily warp the stock Clod wheels. Use old pans, pots etc.

Atleast 30 min on a decent rolling boil, not hot hot. Try to put something under them that will lift them off the bottom atleast a fingers width. Half inch? 10-15mm.

Go easy on trying to remove the tire from the wheel, to much muscle will result in a ripped tire. I would know. :oops:

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:13 am

I have always been a fan of the boiling method, but it does take forever..... :roll:
And acetone has to set over-night........

Lately I have been using the oven method. Takes about 7-10 minutes per side.
I used 300-350 degrees for heat. I have not done a clod wheel in the oven yet though.
So far the only tires I ruined were the soft rubbed front tires from a rustler......gots to be careful with those..... :roll:
If you live where it's cold in the winter.....get some of those rubber-coated work gloves with the insulation inside them.
VERY handy for handling hot tires. :wink:

mrgrimm
Approved Member

Post by mrgrimm » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:23 pm

I can vouch for the baking method. I have successfully done around 16 rims/tires this way. If the rims don't have vent holes drilled be sure to do it, or else the heat will expand in the tire and cause it to stay permanently ballooned (learned that the hard way!)

I started low the first few times, but now I just crank it up to 400F and put them on a cookie pan with a little cooking grease just in case the rubber would want to melt to the pan (never has though) Sometimes it takes up to 15-20 minutes, and yes it will smoke a little and yes it will stink, kind of toxic as well I would assume...I always open the windows and turn on every fan I have.

If they don't easliy seperate, and I mean pull right off, then stick them in for a little longer because it makes it a pain to clean the rims and will ruin the tires if you are impatient.

I have never done Clod wheels, but various 1/8 and 1/10 wheels have never warped on me!

It does seem to make the foams a little more prone to ripping, but that would be in very high speed applications I have found, like in my mugen truggy that goes about 55mph.

Good luck and be patient and I don't see why Clod wheels would not work OK, but ya never know until you try!
Monster trucks rule :)