Anyone want to try a front/rear steering mount?

Talk about materials, fabrication, fasteners, soldering, and anything else here.
User avatar
orcusomega
Approved Member
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:51 pm

Anyone want to try a front/rear steering mount?

Post by orcusomega » Mon May 03, 2010 7:37 pm

I just did this real quick in CAD, but I don't have the time to test it :) Anyone want to try to make one of these?

This is NOT my idea, but based on ones I have seen online, here in the forums, etc.

This is an upright servo mount for the ClodBuster - if you are facing the front of the axle, this would go on the left hand side and hold the servo upright:
Image
(click for bigger image)

When assembled it attaches to a servo - in this case I had a model of an HPI SF-2 servo and used known good servo mounts to get the right hole alignment:
(Click for bigger image)
Image

Only thing it needs besides this plate is 2 3mm spacers to go behind the screws along the front of the gearbox.

If you are interested, let me know and I can send you a template to print and trace (I hope!)

This particular design removes the axle brace from this side of the truck - is this an issue? If so, I can easily create a new cross-brace and add it to the design.

Thanks!

Bob

User avatar
NOUSEFORANAME
Approved Member
Posts: 1129
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:59 am

Re: Anyone want to try a front/rear steering mount?

Post by NOUSEFORANAME » Tue May 04, 2010 12:01 am

When I made mine I just made it so the servo sits in front of the brace.

User avatar
FlashGordon1
Approved Member
Posts: 2503
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:21 am
Location: Buffalo,New York

Re: Anyone want to try a front/rear steering mount?

Post by FlashGordon1 » Tue May 04, 2010 1:30 am

orcusomega wrote: If you are interested, let me know and I can send you a template to print and trace (I hope!)

This particular design removes the axle brace from this side of the truck - is this an issue? If so, I can easily create a new cross-brace and add it to the design.

Thanks!

Bob
Send me a pm Bob
SOLID AXLE SHAFT MONSTER TRUCK'S
http://www.facebook.com/groups/228629583892520/

User avatar
orcusomega
Approved Member
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:51 pm

Re: Anyone want to try a front/rear steering mount?

Post by orcusomega » Tue May 04, 2010 4:37 am

I have tried a few different "designs", and I found this one seems to work best:
Image
I had to move the servo forward to allow for the use of the stock axle brace, and move it upwards to clear the steering rods - but I think this will do the trick nicely :)

I have tried to attach the template, but it says .zip and .pdf documents are not permitted - and it is the only way I know how to get them to come out to scale...

This is what the new design looks like (prototype out of cardboard obviously).
Image
Tomorrow I will put it in polycarbonate and see how well that stands up. I would prefer to do aluminum, but I have plenty of poly lying around so I can make a few mistakes :)

Help would be appreciated, but I can email it as well :)

Bob
Last edited by orcusomega on Thu May 06, 2010 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
orcusomega
Approved Member
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:51 pm

Re: Anyone want to try a front/rear steering mount?

Post by orcusomega » Thu May 06, 2010 2:36 pm

Just a brief update:

For those of you interested, you could more easily make this out of aluminum angle - but as the design is, it is not cheap :(

The depth of this plate is 42.88mm - or a hair shy of 1 3/4". You can get 1 3/4 x 1 3/4" aluminum 6063 from McMaster Carr for $28, but it is 8 feet long (good for a complete fleet of Clods I guess :) )

Since the servo mount wings themselves are par of the overall length, and since the design includes space for adding upright additional servo mounts, you could conceivably use 1 1/2 x 1 1/2".

In my case, I need this type of angle for a few brushless conversions I am working on (MT2, Hellfire, few others). This totally makes the overall "budget" conversion not-so-budget :)

I was able to make the preceding plates on 6061 aluminum plate on 1/16 thickness - and so far it looks like it will work well!

Thanks for entertaining me :)

Bob

User avatar
Halgar
Administrator
Posts: 13974
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 6:03 am

Re: Anyone want to try a front/rear steering mount?

Post by Halgar » Thu May 06, 2010 3:00 pm

Look for a local supplier of specialty metals, they will likely have a scrap bin of cut-offs from which to pick and choose from. Cut-offs run about half of what fresh stock runs, and for the small amount you need, they may even just give it to you, particularly if you tell them and/or show them (take the truck in with you ) what you're doing.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

User avatar
orcusomega
Approved Member
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:51 pm

Re: Anyone want to try a front/rear steering mount?

Post by orcusomega » Thu May 06, 2010 3:03 pm

Thanks Halgar :)

One of the guys on my fire department is also a machinist - so I get most of my stuff from him. Steve pretty much can get me whatever I need, sometimes it just takes a while :)

My intent was more to share what I had dug up online, in case someone else was looking for supplies, etc.

Thanks!

Bob

User avatar
Halgar
Administrator
Posts: 13974
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 6:03 am

Re: Anyone want to try a front/rear steering mount?

Post by Halgar » Thu May 06, 2010 5:36 pm

No problem, though keep a specialty supplier in mind. I've got one near me that will whack a chunk off if you only need a chunk. As I mentioned, they've got a "scrap" bin as well with all kinds of goodies in there. It's hard to walk in there and resist the desire to clear the shelves of all the tasty morsels. That is where the battering ram of a front bumper came from on my green beast.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

User avatar
orcusomega
Approved Member
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:51 pm

Re: Anyone want to try a front/rear steering mount?

Post by orcusomega » Thu May 06, 2010 6:29 pm

LOL! Worst case scenario, there is a "scrap yard" not too far from here - they have all sorts of metal - steel, stainless, iron, aluminum, etc and they charge a flat rate by the pound! A buddy of mine was there when they brought in a trailer of diamond plate - got 2 4'x8' sheets for $15 :)

Bob

User avatar
FlashGordon1
Approved Member
Posts: 2503
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:21 am
Location: Buffalo,New York

Re: Anyone want to try a front/rear steering mount?

Post by FlashGordon1 » Fri May 07, 2010 12:15 am

orcusomega wrote:Just a brief update:

For those of you interested, you could more easily make this out of aluminum angle - but as the design is, it is not cheap :(

The depth of this plate is 42.88mm - or a hair shy of 1 3/4". You can get 1 3/4 x 1 3/4" aluminum 6063 from McMaster Carr for $28, but it is 8 feet long (good for a complete fleet of Clods I guess :) )

Since the servo mount wings themselves are par of the overall length, and since the design includes space for adding upright additional servo mounts, you could conceivably use 1 1/2 x 1 1/2".

In my case, I need this type of angle for a few brushless conversions I am working on (MT2, Hellfire, few others). This totally makes the overall "budget" conversion not-so-budget :)

I was able to make the preceding plates on 6061 aluminum plate on 1/16 thickness - and so far it looks like it will work well!

Thanks for entertaining me :)

Bob
Hay Bob, do you have the prototype of this one?
SOLID AXLE SHAFT MONSTER TRUCK'S
http://www.facebook.com/groups/228629583892520/

User avatar
orcusomega
Approved Member
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:51 pm

Re: Anyone want to try a front/rear steering mount?

Post by orcusomega » Fri May 07, 2010 12:32 am

Prototype for which - flat mount with bolt-on servo wings, or one piece out of angle?

I have the first one (see CAD above) but wont have the angle materials until tomorrow (btw: Grainger has 2"x2"x48" angle for $8).

Bob

User avatar
FlashGordon1
Approved Member
Posts: 2503
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:21 am
Location: Buffalo,New York

Re: Anyone want to try a front/rear steering mount?

Post by FlashGordon1 » Fri May 07, 2010 12:38 am

orcusomega wrote:Prototype for which - flat mount with bolt-on servo wings, or one piece out of angle?

I have the first one (see CAD above) but wont have the angle materials until tomorrow (btw: Grainger has 2"x2"x48" angle for $8).

Bob
The angle
SOLID AXLE SHAFT MONSTER TRUCK'S
http://www.facebook.com/groups/228629583892520/

User avatar
orcusomega
Approved Member
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:51 pm

Re: Anyone want to try a front/rear steering mount?

Post by orcusomega » Fri May 07, 2010 1:15 am

I was hoping to be able to make one tonight, but Steve didnt have any angle - so i called McMaster, it will be here tomorrow i hope.

Bob

User avatar
vonclod
Approved Member
Posts: 1001
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:46 am
Location: Vancouver B.C. Canada

Re: Anyone want to try a front/rear steering mount?

Post by vonclod » Fri May 07, 2010 2:48 am

its the best place to mount a servo for sure..mounting on the braces you get flex when running big servo,s
if freedom of speech is taken away
then dumb and silent we may be led
like sheep to the slaughter

User avatar
FlashGordon1
Approved Member
Posts: 2503
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:21 am
Location: Buffalo,New York

Re: Anyone want to try a front/rear steering mount?

Post by FlashGordon1 » Fri May 07, 2010 10:38 am

orcusomega wrote:I was hoping to be able to make one tonight, but Steve didnt have any angle - so i called McMaster, it will be here tomorrow i hope.

Bob
try http://www.speedymetals.com/
SOLID AXLE SHAFT MONSTER TRUCK'S
http://www.facebook.com/groups/228629583892520/

Post Reply
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests