Tube frame

Talk about materials, fabrication, fasteners, soldering, and anything else here.
lipbr302

Tube frame

Post by lipbr302 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:27 pm

I ordered 21 feet of brass tubing and was wandering if you guys have any tips on soldering a tube frame. Me and broken flyer were going to build a couple. One for bashing and another for crawling. I was going to set up a 4 link setup on so were would the best place to position the 4 links for crawling. If you guys have any tips or pics of your own tube frams it would help me out a lot.

NOUSEFORANAME
Approved Member

Re: Tube frame

Post by NOUSEFORANAME » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:46 pm

I would braze instead of solder,
much stronger. :wink:

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:42 pm

With brass, solder will be fine. Make sure you plan the chassis out well and really gusset the stress points because brass will bend fairly easily.

21' of tubing will be just about enough for one chassis, so don't get disappointed if you don't get much further with that amount. You'll be amazed at how quickly the footage gets eaten up.

Don't forget to post a build thread in the Monster Projects forum. 8)
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

lipbr302

Post by lipbr302 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:05 am

Yeah ive been building my clod for a year now and i look back and i cant believe how much money ive speent. I thought 21 feet was a lot but when you go up and down that many times footage gets eaten up fast. I have some brazing rod but how would you do that. Do you heat it up with a torch and do a welding technique. Or what? I know how to solder but will it work?

NOUSEFORANAME
Approved Member

Post by NOUSEFORANAME » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:18 am

Brazing is alot like soldering, heat the joint with a torch, then while heating the joint hold the brazing rod against the joint till it melts to form a connection.

The brazing rod I use has brass in it so if you want to leave the chassis raw the joints will be about the same colour.

You can use propane, but propylene is best, it burns cleaner and hotter than propane, joint with multiple rods are hard to do with propane.

Propylene is what they used to sell labeled as "brazing fuel", now there is a substitute for it, dont't remember the name :(

I made some roll cages years ago and solder did not hold up very well, then I brazed it and it was much stonger, I was using 1/8 steel rod and the steel would bend before the braze would break.

broken flyer

Post by broken flyer » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:06 pm

yea i agree that brazing would be stronger and i also heard that it is just like soldering and we'l probably try it on a piece of spare metal first but for cuting the pipe wat would you use a dremel or a hack saw or wat?????

lipbr302

Post by lipbr302 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:31 pm

i have a plumber tipe tube cutter but i dont know if that will work on the tube i ordered. we might have to use a hack saw

coops309
Approved Member

Post by coops309 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:54 pm

lipbr302 wrote:Do you heat it up with a torch and do a welding technique. Or what? I know how to solder but will it work?
Brazing is a lot like welding wiv a gas torch, just dont need as much heat... And it is as strong as heck..!

Once built a go-kart out of steel tube and brazed the frame, 2 stop distortion from heat and never had a problem..!

Cant remember if u have 2 tin the joints first 2 get a good bond..! :D
If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off..!
Clodzilla IV Chassis. Venom Fireball 13d cans
Traxxas EVX-2 esc. Hitec HS-645Mg Servo
Fully Ballraced

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:40 pm

coops309 wrote:Cant remember if u have 2 tin the joints first 2 get a good bond..! :D
I never did and never had a problem. With the temps involved, the brazing rod is molecularly bonded with the surface of the metal, so failure is usually the alloy of the rod not being able to handle the stress of the application (purpose for which it's used ). Also, if you're like me, brazing quickly blurs with welding, which is when the surface of the metal is liquified before the rod is dipped into the pool. But, that's more heat than you'll typically get out of most hobby/plumbing type torches.

Dayum I miss my oxy/acet rig and arc welder! LOL

lipbr302

Post by lipbr302 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:39 pm

We have a welder at our house and its handy. I wanted to build a 4 or 6 seat tube rock crawer chassis. I though it would be cool to have somthing unique. Do you guys know where you can get a rc winch? Rc4wd had some but there sold out and have been for quite some time.

Budhatrain
Business Member

Post by Budhatrain » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:04 pm

Check out RppHobby- you can see what's out there and then do your price shopping- here's a link http://www.rpphobby.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=winch

From what I can tell- proline make's a fake looking one and 3racing makes the real deal.

good luck!
Need Screws?! Check out Screw Loose Hex Head Hardware here at Clodtalk or go to http://screwloosehardware.com

Team Driver for 2 great companies, visit http://www.cowrc.com and http://store.rc4wd.com/

Budhatrain
Business Member

Post by Budhatrain » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:17 pm

I can't believe Halgar hasn't posted some how-to you tube video on brazing yet- that's usually his thing
Need Screws?! Check out Screw Loose Hex Head Hardware here at Clodtalk or go to http://screwloosehardware.com

Team Driver for 2 great companies, visit http://www.cowrc.com and http://store.rc4wd.com/

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:35 pm

I figure people will either ask or know how to search DuhTube for that sort of thing. :mrgreen:

lipbr302

Post by lipbr302 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:05 am

What would be a better crawling motor? A novak fifty-five turn or a off brand 75 turn motor. I want a lot of torque but a little speed.

lipbr302

Post by lipbr302 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:13 am

Got the tube today and i tried to put it together. Soldering works ok but tomorrow i want to try to braze it. Can you just use a portable torch to braze like you would find at the hardware store? Im going to make a tube frame kinda of like the one new era makes for the clodbuster. I want a crawler but with the monster jam truck look.