brass tubing

Talk about materials, fabrication, fasteners, soldering, and anything else here.
bugz
Approved Member

brass tubing

Post by bugz » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:39 pm

has anyone used this to build a frame? is it strong?

Renegade
Approved Member

Re: brass tubing

Post by Renegade » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:18 pm

Brass has been used to build tube chassis before, But it's really only good for show trucks. One large crash and your brass masterpiece could shatter into a million pieces, believe me I've done it haha. I'd go with mig welded steel or brazed brakeline instead.
TEAMCHAD: Newbie/ Wheelman

bigkid

Post by bigkid » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:14 pm

my very first tuber is made of brass. ten years old now, n still holdin' up. never seen one blow apart though :shock:
Sterlings custom truck shop. stop asking for stuff i don't have yet

bugz
Approved Member

Post by bugz » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:13 pm

i tried to solder tubing yesterday and it wouldn't stick...... is there a specail solder that i need for brass tubing. maybe silver solder???? :?:

bigkid

Post by bigkid » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:26 pm

sand the joint to be soldered with 400 or 600 fine to remove the oxidization.
make sure to use flux core solder. most any plumbing solder is just that.
otherwise, you'll have to use flux paste.
heat the the BRASS, with the torch, then apply the solder. if the solder doesn't melt on the brass, you don't have it hot enough, n it won't hold.
i hope you're not using an iron....... you need a torch! even just a small one. a Benzomatic "pen" or "pencil" torch from the hardware store is great. about $20.

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:57 pm

bigkid wrote:make sure to use flux core solder. most any plumbing solder is just that.
otherwise, you'll have to use flux paste.
Plumbing solder doesn't actually have a flux core, it requires the use of flux paste, other than that, sound advice. I tend to use a dab of flux paste on all solder joints, whether I'm using a flux core solder or not. The reason is that the amount of flux in the solder usually isn't sufficient when soldering motor leads and such. I've found that by dabbing the flux on first then heating, that the joints are better and stronger.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

bigkid

Post by bigkid » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:13 am

interesting :shock: ,i've always got flux core solder. maybe its not "plumbing specific", but thats what i get. totally agree with the rest though, a dab of flux make all the difference! :mrgreen:

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:26 am

Being of a construction background (retired contractor type and all ... ), plumbing cannot contain lead or chemicals that are harmful to human consumption, so solder and flux must meet certain standards that other industries don't. For this reason, plumbing solder does not contain flux or lead and the flux can not either.

That does not mean that plumbing flux and solder cannot be used for other purposes, quite the contrary, it works quite well. I personally use electronics solder because it's of a size that is easy to use in R/C applications, I also use a dab of plumbing flux paste to help adhesion of the solder. There is a marked difference when attempting electronic solder alone and when using the added paste.

Just my experience, for what it's worth. 8)
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

oldShovelhead
Approved Member

Post by oldShovelhead » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:27 pm

^^^^ what the man said!