Slow day, So ill post my chassis makin walkthrough.

Talk about materials, fabrication, fasteners, soldering, and anything else here.
thegodofclod
Approved Member

Slow day, So ill post my chassis makin walkthrough.

Post by thegodofclod » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:09 am

I decided, since I have these txt axles, an emaxx trans, custom Links, an extra ESC, a body, a mag meyhem and a little bit of free time, why not make a new crawler?

First thing to do when making the chassis was to design it and put it on paper. I had set the Links and axles up how I though they would work best and took rough measurements to get some base numbers to start with. After I had a basic design, my imagination took over.

After I had it on paper, I cut it out and folded the paper to form a belly.

I grabbed some scrap extra thin sheet metal to form the bends. You can use anything thats thin, I just happened to have a bunch of thin colored aluminum used for name engraving sitting around.

I taped the paper to the metal, and marked where the folds go. Then I removed the tape/paper and formed the sheet to where I wanted it. Then I retaped the paper back on and made sure that the aluminum is covering the holes used for suspension/links so I could use the sheet as a mock up template. I used cardboard for the two top side plates because it was easier.

After I had the holes drilled and the chassis formed, I mocked-up the suspension. This was invaluable when figuring out link positions and certain things such as pinion angle, axle turning, and binding, etc. I mounted a body on it to get an idea. I might lower the shell down a bit though, seems too high for me.

So far I already realized that the upper links being on the angle would bind the suspension up a ton and also give me terrible pinion angle and axle steer. I moved the link mounts up to the flat sides of the tub and the suspenision became 10x more efficient. I like the design now, but i will improve it with new holes and such when i get everything mocked into place. I will also probably make the whole set up adjustable, have the links set at the current wheelbase but have the ability to adjust a half inch or so in each direction. It would give me a +1"/0/-1" Wheelbase adjustment. Not bad.

When it comes to the final chassis material, I'm using aluminum. It's either go buy a sheet somewhere, or else find some scrap. As soon as I pick it up I will post more.

rcktpwrd

Re: Slow day, So ill post my chassis makin walkthrough.

Post by rcktpwrd » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:06 pm

looks pretty cool 8) nice work so far.

I recently redid my crawler using Clod axles and TLT chassis plates :biggrin: seems to work decent... :wink:

thegodofclod
Approved Member

Re: Slow day, So ill post my chassis makin walkthrough.

Post by thegodofclod » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:18 pm

Lol my first clod crawler had 1/4 inch lexan side plates and was linked, it worked good till i kept destroying shock mounts and then sold off the clod axles for tlt-1 axles, which i then traded for complete txt axles.