how do i make a sled?

Talk about materials, fabrication, fasteners, soldering, and anything else here.
fantomracer

how do i make a sled?

Post by fantomracer » Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:46 pm

how do i make a pulling sled like the tracto pullers use? i know i saw one in the monster project forum now i want one!

132NHAF
Administrator

Post by 132NHAF » Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:44 pm

viewtopic.php?t=881&highlight=sled

Not exactly a how-to, but it might help.
Scott T

Stickers...Get your ClodTalk stickers here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25953

It's not WHAT toys you play with, but that you play with toys at all that is important.

monster_puller

Post by monster_puller » Fri Apr 09, 2004 8:15 pm

Yeah, I built that one, it took forever, but it is 100% nrctpa legal.

http://www.freewebs.com/offroad_rc

fantomracer

Post by fantomracer » Fri Apr 09, 2004 8:44 pm

how did you build it? can i get instructions? or will you build me one?

monster_puller

Post by monster_puller » Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:04 pm

lol, well, it was insanly hard. I dont think I would want to build one again. I used all metals that can be found at your local home depot. um, jeeeze, it was a pain. I spent probably 100 plus hours on the thing. I will go take some measurements and post some more detailed pics in a bit. If you have any specific questions, please ask.

Micropuller
Approved Member

Post by Micropuller » Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:46 pm

Here's a link to some pics of one of our sleds: http://www.rcpics.net/member/Micropuller
Real tractorpullers do it in the dirt
http://www.rc-tractorpulling.com

fantomracer

Post by fantomracer » Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:45 pm

thoose are f-ing awesome 5 friggin .21 engine The North American beaver has a big tail man thats just not rite. wow...best thing r/c ive ever seen...you should start makin em for resale. youd make a I love Britany Spears load of of thoose... how far do they pull? and why do they slow down when the weight box moves forward.

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear » Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:18 am

fantomracer

Post by fantomracer » Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:32 am

awesome...now i understand the concept but not the chain drive or pulley or gear reduction system? need help there.

Sassy_Chassis_Clod

Post by Sassy_Chassis_Clod » Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:16 am

the chain is there so that when you start to move the wheels turn which turn the chain which moves the box forward.... this moves the weight in the box off of the wheels in the back of the sled up to the front of the sled where there is no wheels which makes the sled harder to pull :P

fantomracer

Post by fantomracer » Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:52 am

i under stand that but how does it do it? whats up with my other post? i didn say nuttin bout brittney spears or the noth american beaver havin a big tail

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear » Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:55 am

You cant use foul language here :? If you do it replaces the bad word with a stupid sentence.

monster_puller

Post by monster_puller » Sat Apr 10, 2004 4:23 am

alright, to get this streight, you arent going out and making one with no previous knowledge in these things. I knew exactly how to do it, and it took me 100 plus hours to build an OK one. If you want one capable of pulling more than 50 lbs, then mine is not for you. You can then expect your sled to be made from steel, and weigh about 50lbs, lol. These arent just a chain around the axle then to the box so that it moves the weight. That would be a 1:1 ratio per say, There is a whole transmission in there with a major gear reduction to slow the thing down. It must max out at 30 ft. Mine is 29.7, but heck, its for pulling in my basement, who cares. If I wanted a competition one, it would have teken me a lot more time, and cost me a ton. 50 lbs is a lot without wheels under it on a sled, so dont let that weight fool ya, especially if your "puller" isnt built from the ground up as a puller. The hitch must be 5/16 inch hole, and the tow chain must be 8 inches. I dont know if I sowed a pic of mine, but the skid plate can pivot for slightly un-even terrain. My rear axles also pivot together slightly on a single axis. My weight box is on a track. You dont see all of this because it is hidden. There is a lot more to it that first seems. For chains, you will need to find some 1/8 chain from your local menards or home depot. Sprockets etc should be there too. Now you have to rig up a tranny with a gear reduction that is just right to maxx out at 30 ft. That includes the reduction of the gear on the rear axle. Now once you figure out how to mount all of your chains and gears to work with your tranny, you will need to make sure that the weight box can move freely. Otherwise, this will be more weight that you will have to factor into a pull, which shouldnt have to be an issue. Assuming you have all of your mechanical things worked out, you must now build your basic frame. I used thick sheet metal and aluminum angle. For your aplication, if you have an open class puller or some of the pro stock or bar tire class pullers, you may need to use some thicker materials, and most likely in steel, because they pull more weight. I am using 1/4 axles with custom hubs, but that is all up to you. 1/4 inch is overkill for me. My whels and tires are from an ertl tractor. I just happened to have some scale duallys. The bed of the sled where the track is, should be slanted towards the back, so that if a tractor suddenly stops or jerks, the weight doesnt jolt forward.

Micro puller, if I missed something, please add it in here. Hope I helped! 8)

Shelby VNT
Approved Member

Post by Shelby VNT » Sat Apr 10, 2004 6:01 am

under stand that but how does it do it? whats up with my other post? i didn say nuttin bout brittney spears or the noth american beaver havin a big tail
The others gave a good description, but I'll try and break it down more.

Basically what you have with a pulling sled is a frame with some wheels, a weight box, a transmission, and a skid plate or 'pan'. The weight box is what carries a pre-determined amount of weight in it, depending on the class of trucks or tractors that are pulling. The weight box rolls on rails and is pulled by a chain to the front of the sled and ever closer to the skid plate / pan, while the sled is in motion. The pan is the skid plate you see at the front of the sled. It's soul purpose is to increase the friction and produce more drag as the sled is being pulled forward by a truck or tractor.

When a truck or tractor hooks up to the sled, the weight box is resting over the rear wheels. Pulling a heavy object is easier with wheels underneath it, rather then dragging it, right? Same concept here. Once the pull is started, the idea is to slowly move the weight off the wheels and more toward the pan of the sled. The pan drags in the dirt, rather the rolls like the wheels, introducing more friction and requiring more power to pull. The transmission mentioned is geared to run off the wheels of the sled. In the real world the sled operator can pick from a few gears to change the speed that the weight box moves forward when the sled is in motion. The transmission pulls the chain, which in turn pulls the weight box toward the front of the sled and closer to the pan. The closer to the pan the weight box gets, the more drag the sled produces. The more drag, the harder it gets to keep pulling the sled, till eventually the tractor or truck looses traction or power and the sled comes to a stop.

Tractor and truck pulls are all about determining who can pull the furthest. Simply pulling a given amount of weight that doesn't get any harder to pull means if a truck or tractor has the power to start moving a load then it will continue on pulling, unless it encounters more resistance somewhere down the line. The object of a pull is to stop the tractor or truck and find it's limit of max pull. That's why the weight box needs to move to the front of the sled and over the pan. It simulates a greater load on the puller, even though the weight stays the same through the whole trip. He who pulls the furthest wins. If there is a tie, more weight is added to the box and the pullers try again until somebody comes up short and looses.

Pretty simple. :wink:
-Nathan-

Sufferin' Succotash

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear » Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:00 am

:below:
Attachments
da_1_s.JPG
da_1_s.JPG (23.02 KiB) Viewed 1085 times