Chassis out of brass tube?

Talk about materials, fabrication, fasteners, soldering, and anything else here.
Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:56 pm

LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: Good point! I might just move this to the Tech and Info Forum for safe keeping.

It's funny how we always forget the "simple" things. I grew up doing this stuff, so it's all pretty old hat to me, though "ranch" level welding and "professional" level welding can have some subtle differences... Like the size of the slag pockets!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Another FAQ is where to get the metals for chassis building, the first place everyone runs to is Home Depot, or the like, when what they should be looking for is metal or specialty metal shops that carry good grades of metal, not the cheap pliable stuff of the box stores.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

broncoman6524
Approved Member

Post by broncoman6524 » Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:18 pm

alright after more research it appears that there are two way to do this. One is to solder them with a high power soldering iron then use a butane torch and "clean up" if you will the brazing. The other is to use a torch and sticks of silver solder which to me sounds like mini tig welding on brass.

Which one would be the strongest. i can get the tools needed for either way it's just that i have no clue which one is better.
92% of teens have switched to rap music if you are part of the other 8% put this in your sig

I now own a K-5 blazer...why my name is broncoman... i dont know :roll:

shagrat69
Approved Member

Post by shagrat69 » Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:17 pm

the "mini tig" welding is the strongest. BTW it's got a name allready, it's called BRAZING!! but since i can't spell, it's probly not spelled right. LOL anyway, it's the strongest way to do it. just read up on it and get the tools to do it. talk to your welding supplier. make sure you get the right stuff. follow all the rules cuz yes you can blow yourself up or atleast burn the heck outta yourself if you don't. :wink: if you really care too....take a short class at your local VOC school. :D i personally went to school for it right after highschool just to learn it...now i wish i picked the machinist class. LOL :wink:

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:18 am

If you want to do some brazing, check out this link:

viewtopic.php?t=3231&start=0&postdays=0 ... highlight=

It's a small discussion on the Bernzomatic oxygen/acetylene set-up, which IMO could be perfect for the home hobbyist. I don't know the abilities of this unit, but I have extensive experience with the "real" thing, and if you're going to braze or do much "soldering" on heavier metals, you'll need something that can actually get the metals hot. This little outfit should be able to do that, and it SHOULD last the hobbyist a fairly long time. I know that a can of propane or mapp gas lasted me a very long time for soldering water pipe, and I used it almost daily as a contractor.

There is a difference between soldering and brazing that should be noted. Soldering uses tin or silver alloys with super heated metal to make connections. With brazing, you actually melt the surface of the metals being joined, and "welding" can take place with or WITHOUT the use of a rod, or filler, medium. Brazing uses a "filler" rod with a dry flux and once the surface of the metals are molten and liquid, the rod is dipped into the pool, which melts it and the flux, thus welding the two items together. The rod is more for gap filling than anything, but it does become part of the weld/metal when cooled. Solder is a topical "glue", if you will, and stays on the surface of the metal, it does not incorporate itself.

Clear as mud? :wink: :wink:
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

ClodinCbus
Approved Member

Re: Chassis out of brass tube?

Post by ClodinCbus » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:49 am

I build a lot of 1/24 scale slot drag chassis out of stainless tube. I use lucky bobs liquid acid flux it makes solder flow so well I think my kids could make nice joints with it. Our slot chassis will hold together in a 60 mph crash chassis will bend but joints hold.

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:57 am

ClodinCbus wrote:I build a lot of 1/24 scale slot drag chassis out of stainless tube. I use lucky bobs liquid acid flux it makes solder flow so well I think my kids could make nice joints with it. Our slot chassis will hold together in a 60 mph crash chassis will bend but joints hold.
Not to derail this but I'd like to see some of your drag cars. :wink:
Jeff

ClodinCbus
Approved Member

Post by ClodinCbus » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:49 am

I shall have to post some up soon then .