Is it time for me to upgrade?

Talk about radio's, servo's, lighting, and anything else run though a reciever or radio here.
Awesome Kong84
Approved Member

Is it time for me to upgrade?

Post by Awesome Kong84 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:16 pm

I have a JR XR3 that I've had for years. Pretty much since the 2nd gen T-Maxx's came out. I really have taken any of my trucks out to local races in a very long time and thought maybe I would start racing again out at the tracks. Am I really outdated for having this system running my trucks? What would you're recommendations if I were to make the switch to another system? I really don't want to break the bank either. Have the option to add additional vehicles to the radio profile. I've tried doing my research and just would like to hear some opinions about what would be the best solution. Keep or ditch???

SFC K
Administrator

Re: Is it time for me to upgrade?

Post by SFC K » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:00 am

If you are not out running with a bunch of other guys, then the concern for someone being on the same channel is a mute point. It is nice, however to not have a big antenna sticking out of the top of the radio. Another nice thing with some of the programmable radios is to be able to control multiple trucks with one radio by just adding additional receivers. Having a radio and receiver for each RC can take up a bit of space as well, so getting a programmable one has that benefit as well.

I prefer the Futaba radio systems myself. I have both the FHSS and FASST systems and like them. Receivers are a bit on the high side compared to others. You can get the Hobby king brand for 1/3rd the cost and work just fine. I run 8 RCs just on my 3PM 2.4GHZ system and have had it for years now. Works great. If I were to get a new radio, I would go with the 3PM-X. I also Futaba 3PRKA and are cheap budget radio and work decent and a bunch of Traxxas 2.4GHZ radios as well. My problem is I have to many RCs that actually run. :mrgreen:
Jeff

Awesome Kong84
Approved Member

Post by Awesome Kong84 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:01 pm

SFC K wrote:If you are not out running with a bunch of other guys, then the concern for someone being on the same channel is a mute point. It is nice, however to not have a big antenna sticking out of the top of the radio. Another nice thing with some of the programmable radios is to be able to control multiple trucks with one radio by just adding additional receivers. Having a radio and receiver for each RC can take up a bit of space as well, so getting a programmable one has that benefit as well.

I prefer the Futaba radio systems myself. I have both the FHSS and FASST systems and like them. Receivers are a bit on the high side compared to others. You can get the Hobby king brand for 1/3rd the cost and work just fine. I run 8 RCs just on my 3PM 2.4GHZ system and have had it for years now. Works great. If I were to get a new radio, I would go with the 3PM-X. I also Futaba 3PRKA and are cheap budget radio and work decent and a bunch of Traxxas 2.4GHZ radios as well. My problem is I have to many RCs that actually run. :mrgreen:
Would you say its a matter of "you get what you pay for" when it comes to some of these systems? I hear so much about the SkyFly stuff on other forums that I am nearly convinced into buying in. I just know that Airtronics and Futaba have been around for years and have solid reputations.

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:13 pm

I'm not one for buying in on the knock off products, but some times price point is what matters and you have to do what you can. I use a couple of the Frysky receivers and they work great with my Futaba systems. If you are looking into a radio system, for the price you could try it, but there are so many upgrades/mods you could do with them to get them to do what a name brand radio does. At the end of the day is it worth it for a cheaper radio to get the same result of a name brand set-up?
Jeff

132NHAF
Administrator

Post by 132NHAF » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:46 pm

I run the FlySky cheap radio in my truck and both of my kid's trucks. Keep in mind, these are just bashers so I don't need a bunch of tuning. I like the radios, they were super easy to setup, the receiver is small and there's no more antennas sticking out of the vehicles.
Scott T

Stickers...Get your ClodTalk stickers here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25953

It's not WHAT toys you play with, but that you play with toys at all that is important.