Cheap, switchable 2ws/4ws Transmitter

Talk about radio's, servo's, lighting, and anything else run though a reciever or radio here.
Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Cheap, switchable 2ws/4ws Transmitter

Post by Sixtys Guy » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:51 am

Hey all, I just found the Hobbyking Rocksta 1/24 crawler. The transmitter can be switched from 2ws front, 2ws rear, 4ws, crab steer. ie, everything that the Ground Pounder radio does. You can buy just the transmitter (with receiver/esc - no good for anything other than the Rocksta) for around $27Usd and a receiver for around $6Usd. Supercheap!

I thought people who want to run switchable 2ws/4ws systems might be interested!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... d_ESC.html

darat76
Approved Member

Re: Cheap, switchable 2ws/4ws Transmitter

Post by darat76 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:59 am

I had been waiting for them to stock this tx at hobbyking for my clod, it arrived the other week, have tested it, now I just need to fettle with the front steering servo and links to get them turning properly.

the tx works well, only dislike some people may have for it is the fact you have to cycle through the modes, can't just select the mode.

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:28 am

darat76 wrote:I had been waiting for them to stock this tx at hobbyking for my clod, it arrived the other week, have tested it, now I just need to fettle with the front steering servo and links to get them turning properly.

the tx works well, only dislike some people may have for it is the fact you have to cycle through the modes, can't just select the mode.
Yeh, thats how the Ground Pounder works also.

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:58 pm

Interesting set-up on that board. Radio looks cheap but for the price, who cares as long as it functions like it is supposed too. Much cheaper than the Futaba 3P-MX radio.
Jeff

jwscab

Post by jwscab » Mon May 02, 2016 5:02 pm

that's pretty sweet for the price.

darat76
Approved Member

Post by darat76 » Mon May 02, 2016 11:30 pm

gave my clod a run with this TX on Sunday, well actually I spent a couple of minutes messing with it, then handed the controller to my mate, and he had a blast running in his backyard, switching through the modes, came across two issues, first the throttle trim seemed to drift forward and needed to be trimmed back, and the second issue could be the RX, the tamiya esc, or the 2s lipo I'm running in the clod, but when going for reverse it would make the motors blip some movement then stop if pushing the trigger to fast, found if one slowly applied reverse power it was fine.

motors were only just warm to the touch and it was a warm day, so I know it's not binding, guessing the rx or the esc is shutting down reverse due to over volting or over amping, if the battery is the cause it's only due to it being a 60c 5800 mah 2s lipo. shopping list addition, new esc for the clod to replace the tamiya one. haven't decided if I'll go the hobbywing quickrun wp860 model, the traxxas evx2 with lipo cut off, or something else entirely that I have yet to find.

This clod will never be brushless, just don't want the headache of wiring up 2 brushless esc's and 2 brushless motors, and then finding good places to mount the 2 esc's, I'm lazy like that *lol*

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Tue May 03, 2016 1:40 am

I find I have those sorts of issues when I haven't calibrated the esc to the TX.

Brushed vs brushless, I sway at times, but I find that brushed motors just don't last very long, so pretty much brushless for me from now on. Only my Wheely Kings still run brushed, but they will be brushless eventually.

darat76
Approved Member

Post by darat76 » Wed May 04, 2016 12:20 am

took me a couple of attempts to get the esc in calibrate mode, first time thought yup, ready to go, set neutral, pull for forward and the clod takes off across my desk, not enough time/speed to cause any damage to the 2 cars it shoved to the side, or the front end when it came in contact with part of my desk thankfully.

after the second go around it all went perfectly, and i prolly should have taken the wheels off or something...

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Wed May 04, 2016 1:28 am

I disconnect the motor when calibrating.