3 or 4 channel?

Talk about radio's, servo's, lighting, and anything else run though a reciever or radio here.
LLCoolDL

3 or 4 channel?

Post by LLCoolDL » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:43 pm

Hi,

I want to run two escs with 4 wheel steering but I want to be able to switch the rear wheel steering off.

Do I need 4 channel gear or can I use 3 Chanel with any harness for the two ESCs?

chewy78
Approved Member

Re: 3 or 4 channel?

Post by chewy78 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:45 pm

i would think it depends on how the transmitter can mix channels. i would get a 4 channel even if you just use 3 of the 4 channels just in case if i were you.
Last edited by chewy78 on Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

darat76
Approved Member

Post by darat76 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:22 pm

most 3 channel radios can't mix the third channel, it's normally setup as an on/off channel.

with a 4 channel radio you can have front/rear only steering, crab steering, 4 wheel steering, how easy it is to change on the fly depends on the radio.

there are 2 pistol radios I know of that can do the mixing and on the fly changing easy, first is a flysky gt3b/c which needs some modification and programming to do, and then there is hobby kings rocksta radio which requires the purchase of an rx due to it coming with an rx that is also the esc for a small scale crawler.

if stick radio is more your style, then I'd recommend going for a aircraft radio, with one of them you will be able to set the servos and esc's to different channels, and control them independently of each other, will take a bit to get used to driving by all accounts, but does give you a ton of flexibility.

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:07 pm

Just an option. You can use a Ground Pounder radio as well. You can switch easily from 2ws, 4ws, crab steer, rear steer. The radios are cheap too.

rex21
Approved Member

Post by rex21 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:39 am

You can do it with a 3 channel if the right esc's are used. I am using Castle SV3s and currently have them on one channel with a splitter. I do have a 4 channel radio capable of mixing but they work fine on one so chose not to mix themon the 4th channel. Running a Futaba 4pl, recommend it if you are looking for a nice radio for a bit more money.