Servo Core

Talk about radio's, servo's, lighting, and anything else run though a reciever or radio here.
Irio - esos
Approved Member

Servo Core

Post by Irio - esos » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:16 am

Had a motor inside a servo fail on me due to a wreck oddly enough. Its a cheap servo, one of the TowerPro996Rs and I'd like to replace just the motor inside it. I took it apart and did a motor swap from an old JR servo that stripped out. I guess its to be expected that the high torque servo has a longer motor can and more winds than the regular. That being said the standard can did fit in and work perfectly. I now have a metal geared weak servo~

Point being, any one know where you can buy just the motor inside? Don't see them on ebay or any of my regular parts places.

And ya I know they're only 8 bucks why not just get a new one? Its just the principle of the exercise.

andymac0035
Administrator

Re: Servo Core

Post by andymac0035 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:01 pm

Hey you know... they are only...... oh wait... never mind.... :mrgreen:
No idea.... but on a related note.... what about buying one of those cheap servo lots you see from time to time and having fun with that. Who knows, you might even find a plastic geared (stripped) servo in the lot with the right sized motor.

TnTpoof
Banned Member

Post by TnTpoof » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:16 pm

you can pick up a MG996R for $10 or less on Ebay just look..Never seen a replacement motor for knockoff servos..

Irio - esos
Approved Member

Post by Irio - esos » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:56 pm

thats just it. most all rc sized servos use the same diameter can and the same 10t pinion on the motor. I opened a JR, tower pro, futaba, airtronics and an unbadged from an old KO propo and theyre all the same dimensions. just the high torque servos have a longer can. That leads me to believe some factory on the backside of the planet is mass producing them. I just gotta find somewhere that retails them.

Irio - esos
Approved Member

Post by Irio - esos » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:26 pm

Just a side by side of the motor cores. Its like 540 size vs 550 size.

I did put that motor in the 996 servo. Fits and runs fine, just weaker than original.