Tower Pro MG 995 X2 with Y LEAD = chattering?!

Talk about radio's, servo's, lighting, and anything else run though a reciever or radio here.
GRAVETXT-1

Tower Pro MG 995 X2 with Y LEAD = chattering?!

Post by GRAVETXT-1 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:06 pm

Hey guys am looking for some powerful servos for four wheel steer on my Valhalla truck I usually stay in my comfort zone and buy Hitec HS 645 servos. However 645's aint that torquey really and pricey for old tech was thinking of getting two Hitec HS 5645's which are "digital" :roll: and a lot more torque but pricey 27 pounds each.

So I stumbled upon Tower Pro MG 995's (genuine not copys!) these puppys are rated at 10kg @ 4.8 volts and cheap 11 pounds each. However I realise these servos come with a reputation :lol: .

Have read in several places that their high current draw leads to chattering when used in pairs THROUGH A Y LEAD (which I intend to use).

So my question is have any of you guys used MG 995 x2 with a Y LEAD what was your experience?

Sadly when I ordered steering parts from CPE Bretts cys servos were out of stock I do not want to re order and get stung by customs again.
Alex

Grim Reaper, Valhalla, Ford Of The Dead, Kings Bounty, Gauntlet, Gauntlet # 2, Clawing Dead

TnTpoof
Banned Member

Re: Tower Pro MG 995 X2 with Y LEAD = chattering?!

Post by TnTpoof » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:22 pm

sorry man but TP MG 995 are cheap also..might try a glitch buster (cap)..or even a BEC with 15 amps..I have personally used these and had Bad results from chattering to never returning to my neutral position as set always off no matter what I tried-or did or anything..

GRAVETXT-1

Post by GRAVETXT-1 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:30 pm

Thanks buddy yeah seems best to invest in some 5645's I was worried about poor centering with the 995's as well.
Alex

Grim Reaper, Valhalla, Ford Of The Dead, Kings Bounty, Gauntlet, Gauntlet # 2, Clawing Dead

TnTpoof
Banned Member

Post by TnTpoof » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:51 pm

np..also look at the spektrum servos S6040 .. Thought over in UK you guys have access to stuff we dont in USA ?

GRAVETXT-1

Post by GRAVETXT-1 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:17 pm

Just checked the specs of the Spektrum S 6040 nice servo but twice as expensive as Hitec 5645 in United Kingdom so I will stick with 5645's for now thanks anyway.
Alex

weeb_beano

Post by weeb_beano » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:27 pm

A few options which may help you:

If you are running a 7.2V stick pack you could run the servo power connections directly off the mains.
Basically you take the positive and negative leads coming out of your servo Y harness and wire them to the same connections on your battery, via a pass-through connector or whatever similar means. The white/yellow PWM connection remains intact and just goes from the servo into the receiver. Yes, the only cable going to the receiver on your steering channel is the single PWM wire.
Hitec recommends 6.0V as the maximum for their analog (and basic digital) servos. You can safely run them at 7.2V though, it just shortens the servo's life potentially mainly because of the increased stresses on the gears.

Another option is to use a voltage regulator if you don't want to run at a higher voltage. Something like this would suffice:
http://www.pololu.com/product/2177
It would be wired the same way- the positive and negative leads from the BEC/regulator go to the corresponding leads on your Y harness, while the PWM connection just goes back to the receiver.

Hope this helps!

GRAVETXT-1

Post by GRAVETXT-1 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:25 pm

@ weeb_beano interesting I have always wondered why servo specs are always listed at 6 volts that voltage regulator may well come in handy! Thanks buddy.
Alex

weeb_beano

Post by weeb_beano » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:12 pm

No problem! I use the first option (direct 7.2V) for driving the steering on one of my 6x6 trucks, equipped with quarter scale servos. A pair of old Futaba S3104 servos along with a single Hitec 755MG drains as high as 5 amps sustained when the truck is just sitting on the floor. That is far more than what most BEC circuitry is able to supply- which is why I use the direct connect option.

Chattering or servo twitchiness is usually a symptom of the Buck converter on a BEC circuit not being able to cope with the high current drain, so it drops in and out very quickly as it panics :)