Researching new radios (comparing them to Futaba Magnum Jr)

Talk about radio's, servo's, lighting, and anything else run though a receiver or radio here.
gears
Approved Member

Researching new radios (comparing them to Futaba Magnum Jr)

Post by gears » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:51 pm

so as a returning enthusiast, can someone suggest good reading to get up to date on the latest trends in radios (heck, I'd like to know more about brushless and battery tech too). Andy's been good enough to explain how chargers and LiPo batteries work (compared to my old 7.2 NiCad and NiMh stick packs) but I'd like to learn how the new radio systems, escs and brushless motors work compared to the old school Magnum radios, Novak T4 Escs and Speedworks modified motors.

Thanks,

andymac0035
Administrator

Re: Researching new radios (comparing them to Futaba Magnum

Post by andymac0035 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:21 am

I'm going to stick with radio stuff, since esc's and motors should be discussed in the electric tech section.

Some of the veterans could probably answer your questions on the older magnum radio.

I honestly don't know "how" the newer 2.4ghz radio's work.... but work they do.
They don't use crystals. You don't have to worry about interference and frequencies.The receiver gets bound to the transmitter. A lot of the transmitters can have multiple receivers bound to them. This gives you the option of having a large group of R/C's all run from the same radio.

More importantly though, is that they use a really short antenna on both the rx and tx.
That is why you see so many new R/C's with no antenna coming up through the body.
Because it's short enough to fit under it.
It's also great not having the long retractable antenna.

Most modern 2.4ghz radio's have a really long range too. The traxxas one's I use can go as far as I can see, and when I was doing speed-runs.... that was pretty far.
Lining up for a run in the high 90's I'd drive the car so far away from me it was hard to see it, as I'd have to get it as far away as I could. Then after it blasted past me, I'd stay in it as long as I could to get the fastest speed recorded by the GPS I had strapped to it.

So a good 2.4ghz is pretty much line-of-sight as far as range goes.
Good being the key word, some of the cheapies ain't that great from what I hear.

charliechristmas58
Approved Member

Re: Researching new radios (comparing them to Futaba Magnum

Post by charliechristmas58 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:51 pm

I won't go into how 2.4 ghz works its just to much to type . I use the spectrum radio it well hold 30 modles and for me this is what I want I did have a radio for every truck car I had but once you start buying battery's for them you get into so money . I can drive them like Andy said until I can't see them anymore and there lighter than the old radios battery's last longer and there is a ton of things you can do with them( depends what modle you get) the only thing that's a pain in the but is if you want to let a friend use one you have to dig out the old transmitter and Reciver. It was a good investment for me because I don't let anyone drive my trucks. :lol:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming to the Lord,
"Wow, What a ride!"