Recever question

Talk about radio's, servo's, lighting, and anything else run though a reciever or radio here.
charliechristmas58
Approved Member

Recever question

Post by charliechristmas58 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:23 pm

I have a nitro car that uses 4 AA battery's to power the 2 servos. What I want to do is use a 9 volt battery and git rid of the 4 AA's. can I do this without burning up anything. It's an HPI .
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming to the Lord,
"Wow, What a ride!"

SFC K
Administrator

Re: Recever question

Post by SFC K » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:12 pm

No, I will not have enough power to run both. You could get a small RX lipo battery to power those if you want ot get rid of the 4 triple A's.
Jeff

charliechristmas58
Approved Member

Post by charliechristmas58 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:39 pm

But why not. the 4 AA's are only 6 volts and the 9 volt is well 9 volts
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming to the Lord,
"Wow, What a ride!"

gears
Approved Member

Post by gears » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:02 pm

it's a matter of amperage available - electricity is measured 2 ways at the same time:

Volts / voltage is a measure of HOW MUCH electricity there is.

Amps / amperage is the AMOUNT of POWER (how much work it can do).

A spark plug wire on your lawnmower puts out 10,000volts - but it couldn't light a lightbulb. it doesn't have enough amperage to do it.

The AA batteries you're using could have up to 2000 mah capacity - that refers to the amount of work they could provide power for (remember, that for each AA - so your receiver pack could have around 8000mah capacity).

A 9v battery has 9 volts but only about 500-600 mah capacity, simply not enough to reliably power your servos under load (yes, I'm sure if you hooked up a 9v to an unloaded servo you could probably get it to move - but it would not move with the torque required for RC).