Transmitter batteries

Talk about radio's, servo's, lighting, and anything else run though a reciever or radio here.
TomT
Approved Member

Transmitter batteries

Post by TomT » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:01 pm

OK, so I was thinking about putting something like this:

Into something like this:

First question would you use a Li-Po battery pack or just rechargeable AA NiMh's? and why?

Second question, if you used AA'a who would you buy from and what brand? (I have rechargeable NiMh's right now but they are a Bizillion years old, time for new ones!)

Third question if using the Li-Po would I just plug into the connector in the picture?, completely removing the AA battery tray and charging through the factory charge jack on the transmitter?

Thanks for your input / opinions!
TomT

Indiana Jones: "...It's not the years, but the mileage..."

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Re: Transmitter batteries

Post by Diamond Dave » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:13 am

Go get some new AA's. At 1.5 volt per, that is 6 volts total as I assume the controller is like my DX3S. (4 double A's)

Using a 7.4 volt lipo is not a good idea. IF you are able to replace the batts you have, with atleast NIMH, or Li-Ion. That is the best bet.

I am sure you can buy a 6V rechargeable pack that will fit in the bottom of the controller. Check with your hobby shop, see what they or recommend.

Hope that helps.

TomT
Approved Member

Post by TomT » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:17 am

Diamond Dave wrote:Go get some new AA's. At 1.5 volt per, that is 6 volts total as I assume the controller is like my DX3S. (4 double A's)

Using a 7.4 volt lipo is not a good idea. IF you are able to replace the batts you have, with atleast NIMH, or Li-Ion. That is the best bet.

I am sure you can buy a 6V rechargeable pack that will fit in the bottom of the controller. Check with your hobby shop, see what they or recommend.

Hope that helps.
It uses 8 AAs, 12 volts with 9 volt low voltage warning light.
That Li-Po is 11.1 volts.
I think most NiMH AAs are 1.2 volts per cell.
Last edited by TomT on Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
TomT

Rcmaniac78
Approved Member

Post by Rcmaniac78 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:19 am

hmmm would be cool if you could hope you can ! :D
Wait what?

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Post by Diamond Dave » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:49 am

Ah yes, 8 of them. My Spektrum is 4 AA's.

Maybe contact Redcat or Brett and see if they have a suggestion? They do make radio batts that are rechargeable.

I am sure you will find one. Does the manual suggest anything for replacement or maybe the redcat website for upgrades?

TomT
Approved Member

Post by TomT » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:57 am

Diamond Dave wrote:Ah yes, 8 of them. My Spektrum is 4 AA's.

Maybe contact Redcat or Brett and see if they have a suggestion? They do make radio batts that are rechargeable.

I am sure you will find one. Does the manual suggest anything for replacement or maybe the redcat website for upgrades?
Well it has the built in charger jack already wired so I'm assuming the AA NiMHs are good to go, but if all I have to do is unplug the existing battery tray and put in one of those $8 Li-Po's life might be good! LOL
TomT

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Post by Diamond Dave » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:06 am

Thats for sure, They will let ya know.

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:22 am

I don't know what everyone else is using, but I'd recommend one of these:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

vonclod
Approved Member

Post by vonclod » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:00 am

you could run that pack in your radio as long as it tells you the voltage, you wouldnt want it to drop below 9v for a 3s pack and i wouldnt leave it plugged in when not in use, the batt in the pic is only 1400mah and you can get good nmh aa cells at 2700mah or maybee better..lipo,s are great for delivering alot of amps continuous and your radio draws very little so no real advantage to run a lipo..hope that helps 8)
if freedom of speech is taken away
then dumb and silent we may be led
like sheep to the slaughter

TomT
Approved Member

Post by TomT » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:41 am

Halgar wrote:I don't know what everyone else is using, but I'd recommend one of these:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I've been working out but I don't think I'm up for carrying that around one handed....

:lol: :lol: :lol:
TomT

TomT
Approved Member

Post by TomT » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:50 am

vonclod wrote:you could run that pack in your radio as long as it tells you the voltage, you wouldnt want it to drop below 9v for a 3s pack and i wouldnt leave it plugged in when not in use, the batt in the pic is only 1400mah and you can get good nmh aa cells at 2700mah or maybee better..lipo,s are great for delivering alot of amps continuous and your radio draws very little so no real advantage to run a lipo..hope that helps 8)

Thanks Vonclod and Diamond Dave for your thoughts.

I think I might stick with rechargable AA NiMH's. Just picked up a LOsi Micro Crawler from Rcmaniac and that uses 8 AA's in the charger as well as 4 in the transmitter.... If I have to have them around might as well use them in everything!

So, where would you guys order them from? And what brand? Be at least 24 of them, so cost and longevity are priorities.
TomT

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Post by Diamond Dave » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:50 pm

I have a place here called Battery World, check and see if one is close to you. Don't think so though.

Your local hardware store, or Home Depot or Walmart type place will have rechargeable NiMH. Make sure they are atleast 2100 to 2750 mah.

As far as brands go, I have panasonic, Energizer, sony. Maybe look into Li-Ion? They are not going to be cheap but skimping here is not a good idea.

TomT
Approved Member

Post by TomT » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:14 pm

Went ahead and ordered 24 of these:

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh ... duct=10456

I did not pay attention to shipping at check out and think I screwed up there! At any rate, they are coming.
TomT

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Post by Diamond Dave » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:01 pm

They look like they will do the job Tom.

I have never been a big fan of turnigy, but the new low discharge feature will be good to have.

The price is right thats for sure. I think buying them here would be much more. Walmart is not the greatest place to shop, they have Energizer AA's 4 pak for $14, so you did good!

TomT
Approved Member

Post by TomT » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:12 pm

Diamond Dave wrote:They look like they will do the job Tom.

I have never been a big fan of turnigy, but the new low discharge feature will be good to have.

The price is right thats for sure. I think buying them here would be much more. Walmart is not the greatest place to shop, they have Energizer AA's 4 pak for $14, so you did good!

Yeah, I know those Energizers are spendy! My old ones are going on 5 years now! Just time for new ones and it will be nice to have all the same mAh ratings instead of having to search through a pile to match them up.
TomT