Best servo mounts for crawling applications

Talk about radio's, servo's, lighting, and anything else run though a receiver or radio here.
Shelby VNT
Approved Member

Best servo mounts for crawling applications

Post by Shelby VNT » Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:23 am

I notice a lot of guys running servo mounts that position the servo vertically along side the front of the gearbox on Clod axles or on one of the axle braces, diagonally.

I am running an Inet bumper, combination servo mount on my truck and was thinking it would be more advantageous to change to the above set-up for clearance reasons and better approach angles. Now there's a few different companies offering such a set-up and I'd like to know which is the best. Defiance Racing? Xtreme Racing's carbon fiber mount? RC Guy? Any others? What do you run and how do you like it?
Last edited by Shelby VNT on Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Nathan-

Sufferin' Succotash

TIER
Approved Member

Post by TIER » Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:43 am

i think more of you guys need to start experimenting with behind the axle steering.

:lower servo mounting position
:no links in front of your axle to clutter up approach angle
:better geometry

and it looks better and alot more scale.

(only picture have of mine.. but in a racing application)
Attachments
DSCN0523_2.JPG
DSCN0523_2.JPG (60.49 KiB) Viewed 1520 times
Maybe im crazy
Maybe your crazy
Maybe we're crazy
Probably

shagrat69
Approved Member

Post by shagrat69 » Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:53 am

but how is it mounted?? pics!!!

TIER
Approved Member

Post by TIER » Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:16 am

like i said shag.. theres only that one pic.

but to try to explain it, the servo replaces the tube brace and in effect becomes the new tube brace. there silver standoff to the right of the servo slots into the little notch in the top of the ball on the axle tube and theres a small bracket on the left side of the servo that bolts it to the existing hole in the gearbox that the brace would be bolting too. the nuckles are simply fillped backwards and theres a special bent drag link to connect the 2 and still clear the gearbox at full throw.

the biggest bennifit to this setup is ACKERMAN.. a common thing that is needed for tight steering and you will never achieve it wiht a front mounted link. next time you look at a 1/10th scale stadium truck or maxx.. turn the wheels to one side and notice that the inner wheel in the turn wil turn a little bit more than the outside wheel.. you DONT want both wheels in your steering going lock to lock.. this is useless and a waste. you always want the inner wheel in the run to move a bit farther in.

this setup im running is still in the experimental stages but its working flawlessly and theres major improvement over the convetional mounted servo. dont expect any more pics as its still a proto type.. and i dont have a cam :D :? :wink:
Maybe im crazy
Maybe your crazy
Maybe we're crazy
Probably

team prp

Post by team prp » Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:06 am

Hey guys,

We've been running our "behind axle" steering system for over a year and it has been working great. (For those who don't know, we race in a local club in Minnesota and some of us attend the Springs and Worlds, we are the current 2005 Spring Champions). Behind the axle steering setups are awesome for racing! I would definitely recommend using some sort of behind axle system.

Here are a few pics of our front kit,

Image[/img]

Eagle-Mark

Post by Eagle-Mark » Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:12 am

Second time I've bumped into rehind the diff steering threads this week. Are those kits available? How many $

Shelby VNT
Approved Member

Post by Shelby VNT » Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:30 pm

I don't know how I forgot all about PRP's set-up, epsecially since I bought a Berzerker last year!! Gezz... I really need to get going and finish it up. :mrgreen: I do have a spare set of Clod axles coming in soon.

So Ben, are these steering kits in stock right now? What's your price for the kit? Do you see any reason why the kit wouldn't work on a rock crawler? Would suspension links mounted to the upper portion of the axle's C-hub (for more ground clearance) interfer with the servo mount at all?

Thanks guys for bringing this behind the axle steering to my attention! I know Tier mentioned it in another thread as well.
-Nathan-

Sufferin' Succotash

REPOBUD
Approved Member

Post by REPOBUD » Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:54 am

what's missing???? i figured it out using the pieces from my front steering and a few pieces laying in my tool box. didnt cost me anything but the 6 pack i drank while putting it together :partyman: .
Attachments
RC014.JPG
RC014.JPG (26.63 KiB) Viewed 1464 times
YAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RobotChicken

Post by RobotChicken » Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:07 am

TIER wrote:like i said shag.. theres only that one pic.
true, but since I have athe 5.1 megapixel versions, i can enhanse them a bit
Attachments
axle.JPG
axle.JPG (68.61 KiB) Viewed 1461 times

metalry101

Post by metalry101 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:13 am

I'd like to see some more info on that PRP setup. I just checked out their site and didn't see that steering system listed. Do any other companies make a comparable setup? I'd be very, very interested in trying that out if there's a setup available.

kevinlongisland

Post by kevinlongisland » Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:10 am

here's a really simple way. Just use some servo mounts bolted directly to the long axle tube brace. Then use a small piece of all thread to make a small link. The only problem with this method is that sometimes you have interference problems with the motor.

http://www.thecrawlerstore.com/Update_1_1.htm

metalry101

Post by metalry101 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:48 am

Cool, thanks for the link! Those are some much better pictures. I'll have to try and set something like that up one of these days.

kevinlongisland

Post by kevinlongisland » Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:17 am

the bta steering makes a huge difference. it's one of those things, once you switch over to it, there's no going back. At least for crawling.

RobotChicken

Post by RobotChicken » Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:26 am

LOL

I had BTA once, but I use the stock steering links... and they bent a lot in this setup... so I went back...

BaddClod
Approved Member

Post by BaddClod » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:54 pm

Guy's.Didn't TTR come up with a steering set-up(behind the axle)like the one from Team PRP Racing?Wasn't it called the "Aggressor or Eliminator"?I think there's a pic or two on their site on this set-up. 8)

:twisted: BaddClod :twisted:
"I've upped my standard's"...
"Now Up Your's"...
671 Monster's