Need some advice

Talk about glow, gas, and nitro engines, tuning, and fuels here.
charliechristmas58
Approved Member

Need some advice

Post by charliechristmas58 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:57 am

ok what does it mean when my car gets hot it quits running ? i can put the glowplug starter on it and it well stay running untill take it off then it dies.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming to the Lord,
"Wow, What a ride!"

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Re: Need some advice

Post by Diamond Dave » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:18 am

Could be the plug, make sure you have a few on hand all the time. They are cheap and they do die out quicker than you think.

Is the nitro fuel new? Make sure the idle screw is set to idle when it is hot, Not the Low or High speed settings, the idle.

What motor is this anyway? Only other thing I can think of is that you may need a rebuild. The sleeve and piston get hot and expand and there is no compression.

A new set of those and I bet that will fix it up. Also to make sure your OWB, the one way bearing is still good.

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:19 am

You need a new glow plug. It may look good, but chances are a coil is burnt out deep inside.

Always keep in mind, whenever your having problems with an engine running, install a new glow plug to be sure.
SFC K is my hero!
All bow down before the great terminator-smilie!

charliechristmas58
Approved Member

Post by charliechristmas58 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:37 am

Ok here is the stupid question were do i get one. and are they all the same size. or should i just take it with me to get i new one. This is the first nitro car i have ever owned. i forgot the name of it . but its 1/10 scale. not real big its 4wd but the front dogbones were taken out. its an off brand. fuel is about 2 months old. i guess i well get the book out and look were those screws are. This might be my first and last nitro :(
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming to the Lord,
"Wow, What a ride!"

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:07 am

When it comes to nitro engines, a name brand engine like O.S. Is probably going to be easier for you to run. Often times cheaper or off brand engines don't hold a tune very well. I would try a new glow plug first.

Go to your LHS and just take the glow plug. Some engines require a turbo plug but most take a standard plug. They are all the same size but different heat ranges and shape whether turbo or standard. Look in your manual for what heat range plug your engine requires. Most of the time an O'donnell mc8 glow plug will work. It's a medium standard plug and probably the most commonly used.
SFC K is my hero!

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:58 am

A number 8 plug is pretty standard, but will vary some depending on the engine and fuel you're using.

Check the manual or manufacturer's site for details. I'd be very cautious about going to an LHS and asking them to identify the plug for you, since it seems most shops these days don't know their posterior orifice from a rather large and deep hole in the ground, and usually have their heads up it trying to figure it out. :roll: :biggrin: :lol: :lol:
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:25 pm

Halgar wrote:A number 8 plug is pretty standard, but will vary some depending on the engine and fuel you're using.

Check the manual or manufacturer's site for details. I'd be very cautious about going to an LHS and asking them to identify the plug for you, since it seems most shops these days don't know their posterior orifice from a rather large and deep hole in the ground, and usually have their heads up it trying to figure it out. :roll: :biggrin: :lol: :lol:
HAHAHAHA. True but hopefully they know enough to tell the difference between a turbo plug and a normal plug
SFC K is my hero!

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:28 pm

vwjuice wrote:HAHAHAHA. True but hopefully they know enough to tell the difference between a turbo plug and a normal plug
Well, I can tell you that I went to one to get parts for the T-Maxx and they sent me home with something NOT for a T-Maxx. Your mileage may vary. :mrgreen:
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:34 pm

HAHAHAHA. That's why I said hopefully. :lol: :lol:
SFC K is my hero!

charliechristmas58
Approved Member

Post by charliechristmas58 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:35 pm

The LHS that popped up around here is just a small one. i mean small. its in a pharmacie store. he only has Traxxas stuff. but does sale parts. like paint .esc. deans. etc. but not much. and he has glow plugs :D now i just need to get up off my butt and go get it. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Wow, What a ride!"

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Post by Diamond Dave » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:09 am

Go man Go! Let me know how it works, I ordered a few plugs myself. I too have a nitro boat and I tried running it a few weekends ago.

Glad I stayed home to try it, it ran for a few min then cut out.

todd ritchings
Approved Member

Post by todd ritchings » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:29 am

CC the glow plug is a good start. But it could be that the moter is to lean on the carb end you may have to richen the mix on the carb. Lean makes power and heat! You have to find the line.