Can you substitute...

Talk about glow, gas, and nitro engines, tuning, and fuels here.
OrionsClod

Can you substitute...

Post by OrionsClod » Wed May 20, 2009 9:03 pm

I want to clean the engine before I sell it. I was wondering, can you substitute WD-40 for Dupont Teflon Silcone lubricant? Will this just destroy the engine?

vwjuice
Approved Member

Re: Can you substitute...

Post by vwjuice » Wed May 20, 2009 9:56 pm

What are you working on?
SFC K is my hero!
All bow down before the great terminator-smilie!

OrionsClod

Post by OrionsClod » Wed May 20, 2009 10:23 pm

On the engine. Im doing the after run procedures it says to use wd-40 to spray in the engine and carb but i was wondering if you can use dupont teflon silicone lubricant instead its exactly like wd-40 but better. though is it safe to substitue?

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice » Wed May 20, 2009 10:31 pm

Check the can and verify that the dupont stuff is ok for the metal. I wouldn't see a problem if it's okay to use. In my old rb concept engine I never used after run oil (I think it's way overrated). I ran the engine every weekend during the summer. Then at the end of summer I would tear the engine apart to inspect it and Then lube everything up with slick 50. Put it back together and let it sit until the following year. Put fuel in it and it started right up. The temps always stayed lower also. I used 30% odonnel's fuel and leaned the engine out until there was barely any smoke at all. I'm trying z-max next but yours should be fine
SFC K is my hero!

OrionsClod

Post by OrionsClod » Wed May 20, 2009 11:11 pm

hopefully i didnt damage anything because the glow plug doesnt want to light up anymore

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice » Wed May 20, 2009 11:14 pm

Try blowing the element off with very little air. Could just have alot of oil on it. May need to be replaced too, or the igniter needs charging
SFC K is my hero!

OrionsClod

Post by OrionsClod » Thu May 21, 2009 8:12 pm

I have no idea what's wrong with this glow plug and why it's not heating up or the glow plug light lighting up on the wand. The ez start motor turns over the engine, the battery in the ez start wand is charged and I also tried another battery too, I replaced the glow plug with a fresh one and it's still not working. I checked the wires with a voltmeter it's fine. I'm finally undestanding Halgar's dislike for traxxas. I just did the "after run procedure" left in my closet then decided to run again because I borrowed a carb from a neighbor down the street. I Had everything set then the glow plug went sour on me. Such a headache what can it be?

If I have to buy a glow igniter would the Magnum Glow Starter - Standard w/Battery/Charger be a good choice theres a sale at hobby people right now for $10.99

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Thu May 21, 2009 9:36 pm

It's not uncommon to get a bad glow fresh out of the bag - happened to me a couple times.

My concern is that the silicone is shorting the glow out. While it might keep the engine from seizing, there's enough soup left in the engine that when cranked over it douses the glow. I always used after run oil, and on occasion a shot of WD.

At this point, I really can't help much because I've been away from nitro too long, didn't really understand it all that well to begin with, and as you mentioned it has Traxxas written on the side of it which no amount of knowledge is gonna fix! :wink: :P
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice » Fri May 22, 2009 12:13 am

Leave the glow plug out and turn the truck upside down. Make sure the fuel tank is empty first. Then crank the engine over until there isn't any more fluid coming out. Then put a new glow plug in it and try it. Glow plugs foul out constantly. That's one of the drawbacks to running nitro engines. You will end up spending a lot of money on fuel and glow plugs whenever you run them. The traxxas ez-start system is notoriuos for problems with the on-board glow plug igniter. The problem is that since the engines don't want to start often times. You have to leave the igniter on for longer periods of time. Then the wiring gets hot and melts inside the insulation. It's best to go with a hanheld rechargeable igniter. Or get an e-maxx or e-revo and go brushless. It will be more dependable, stronger, and powerful= more fun
SFC K is my hero!

OrionsClod

Post by OrionsClod » Fri May 22, 2009 1:37 am

yeah thinking of just ditching this t-maxx and going with e-maxx

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice » Fri May 22, 2009 2:58 am

I think you would be happier with an e-maxx. If you sepnt the money on just good lipo's than it would be close to the same speed as the nitro one. put in a brushless kit and the nitro couldn't compete. the only problem with brushless ones is that they always want to do standing back flips with stock gears
SFC K is my hero!

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Fri May 22, 2009 6:29 am

For all the horse poop you have to wade through to get a few moments of enjoyment from a Traxxas nitro, you'd be far better off sticking with plug-n-play electrics, even if it's another Traxxas, far less headaches and hassles.

With nitro you really need to be prepared to throw everything you know about RC (electrics ) out the window and relearn RCs. Nitro and electric are two totally different beasts. If you can do that, then the next major hurdle is choosing a decent nitro to go with. You've pretty much found the absolute worst nitro on the market, so anything else from here will be an upgrade. :P

Another thing with nitro is that it's very similar to a 1:1 rig, and that is you have to have three things for it to run - fuel, air, and spark. If you're missing any one of the three, you'll be sitting at the bench when the starter horn sounds.

OrionsClod

Post by OrionsClod » Fri May 22, 2009 11:10 am

And that said... I think ima hop back to the electric side and leave the nitro scene to the hands of the experts with deep pockets.

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice » Fri May 22, 2009 5:44 pm

I have been into r/c for around 20 years total. I ran only electric until the mid 90's. Than made the jump to nitro. The nitro ones were a lot of fun back then. They were far more powerful which made them more enjoyable. Now with all the technological advancements in electric brushless motors. The electric ones are a lot more fun and easier to deal with. Until they make big steps and completely redo everything that deals with nitro, there isn't a lot of reason to go that route. I sold off most of my nitro stuff. Only things left are 1/8th scale buggy and monster truck.

The t-maxx engines aren't the worst ever. The .15 that comes in the older stampede's and rustler's is the crappiest. Usually is toast before break-in is complete.
SFC K is my hero!

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Fri May 22, 2009 8:55 pm

vwjuice wrote:The .15 that comes in the older stampede's and rustler's is the crappiest. Usually is toast before break-in is complete.
You can say that again!

I agree, with the advancement of electrics, there's no need to go to nitro unless you just gotta get a whiff of burning alcohol and castor oil! :lol: I'd rather go with a 2 or 4 stroker than go back to nitro.