T-Maxx won't start (not surprised)

Talk about glow, gas, and nitro engines, tuning, and fuels here.
dleigh007
Approved Member

Re: T-Maxx won't start (not surprised)

Post by dleigh007 » Wed May 13, 2009 9:36 pm

I don't want to be Captain Obvious :superman: , but did you check the plug? Did you check that all needles are back to the factory position? Does the carb get fuel if you put some back pressure on the tank?
;/ l ,[____], It's a Wheelin' thing!
l---L---o||||||o--
(.)_) (.)_)-----)_)

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice » Wed May 13, 2009 10:06 pm

dleigh007 wrote:I don't want to be Captain Obvious :superman: , but did you check the plug? Did you check that all needles are back to the factory position? Does the carb get fuel if you put some back pressure on the tank?

Duh. I assumed that you that had already been done. You know what happens when you Halgars trucks are cooler than mine-u-me. Did you already do that? Make sure to do that whenever you are having problems. That's the basics and a lot of times is a quick fix.
Good job dleigh
SFC K is my hero!
All bow down before the great terminator-smilie!

OrionsClod

Post by OrionsClod » Wed May 13, 2009 10:13 pm

[quote="dleigh007"]I don't want to be Captain Obvious :superman: , but did you check the plug? Did you check that all needles are back to the factory position? Does the carb get fuel if you put some back pressure on the tank?[/quote

Good news I got this garbage can working. It was the started wand (is it called that) it needed charging. The engine revs too high and as I soon I hit the throttle it shuts off.

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice » Wed May 13, 2009 10:19 pm

Oh well that's good. How does it run?
SFC K is my hero!

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Wed May 13, 2009 10:25 pm

OrionsClod wrote:Yeah everytime. I finally got the bearing cleaned. There is no more slip there (i think) I wish my camera was working so I could post up a video but I found this video on youtube and my maxx is making sounds exactly like this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H38tcT_TFWc
Then that's not an OWB problem. If it was the bearing, the engine wouldn't be turning over and you wouldn't have the blurbling sound. The first thing you do is throw away the wire that goes from the starting wand to the glow plug and use a glow igniter instead. You'll get a much hotter plug with an igniter over using the wire and starter circuit. Second, as was mentioned, base line the needles. Third, you'll probably want to toss the electric start altogether and install a pull starter. I had much better luck with a pull starter than the stock setup, plus the electric motor burned out from all the use trying to start and keep the POS running.

Keep in mind, any money you spend on it will be money thrown down the toilet because you won't get your investment back even if you succeed in getting it started. IF you want to put some effort into this thing, I'd suggest dumping the stock engine and installing a user friendly unit such as an OS or XTM. Don't bother trying to modify or upgrade any of the stock junk (like a pull start, factory replacement engine, etc.), that will be a total waste of time and money.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Wed May 13, 2009 10:29 pm

OrionsClod wrote:Good news I got this garbage can working. It was the started wand (is it called that) it needed charging. The engine revs too high and as I soon I hit the throttle it shuts off.
Great! Don't worry about your idle speed until you can get the thing to start and continue running on it's own. If you've base lined the needles, then you're probably running quite rich and it can't handle more fuel when you open the throttle. When adjusting the carb - engine running - ONLY make adjustments when the engine is at operating temperature and ONLY turn the screws 1/16th to 1/8th turn at a time, then run it for a bit to see how the change affects performance.

OrionsClod

Post by OrionsClod » Wed May 13, 2009 11:29 pm

vwjuice wrote:Oh well that's good. How does it run?
Runs alright I just need fresh batteries for the receiver. I don't really think Ima upgrade anything on this nitro Halgar.I still have my mind set on a Savage or MGT 3.0. I only bought this T Maxx because I thought it was a good way to get my hands dirty on a nitro without the worry of messing anything up. Also it was just $100 ,love that charger that came with it 8) I know this is a very noob question but is it free to get the hobby shop to tune your nitro? If not, how much is it?

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice » Wed May 13, 2009 11:31 pm

OrionsClod wrote:
vwjuice wrote:Oh well that's good. How does it run?
Runs alright I just need fresh batteries for the receiver. I don't really think Ima upgrade anything on this nitro Halgar.I still have my mind set on a Savage or MGT 3.0. I only bought this T Maxx because I thought it was a good way to get my hands dirty on a nitro without the worry of messing anything up. Also it was just $100 ,love that charger that came with it 8) I know this is a very noob question but is it free to get the hobby shop to tune your nitro? If not, how much is it?
Most hobby shops will charge you to tune it. Price varies from shop to shop. Look on rccaraction.com and you can purchase videos showing you how to do it. Probably be cheaper than the hobby shop price and you will learn a lot
SFC K is my hero!

OrionsClod

Post by OrionsClod » Thu May 14, 2009 12:33 am

Thanks I'll check it out. I just ran into another problem. The glow plug light on the ez starter wand does not light on. I haven't been able to get the engine running. Did the glow plug go bad?

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice » Thu May 14, 2009 12:38 am

Yeah, that's the glow plug indicator light. If it lights up then your good, if it doesn't then replace the glow plug
SFC K is my hero!

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Thu May 14, 2009 1:00 am

To be honest, I wouldn't bother having the LHS tune this truck for you. If it's anything like mine it flat out cannot be tuned. Even if they're lucky enough to get it close, the first time you turn it off, refuel, or blink, it will be out of whack again. These trucks are just that good! :mrgreen:

OrionsClod

Post by OrionsClod » Thu May 14, 2009 1:36 am

Dang I guess I'll head to the hobby shop tomorrow. I think i'll get me one of those glow igniters too. It's been one long day I think i'll call it a day. What progress though right? :D I really didn't think I could get the engine running or let alone started. Although, I couldn't of done it without the help of you guys. Thank you for the help and quick response.

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice » Thu May 14, 2009 3:26 am

Your welcome. Let us know how things work out
SFC K is my hero!

OrionsClod

Post by OrionsClod » Sun May 17, 2009 6:46 am

Eariler this morning, I managed to burn out the EZ Start motor :P. I had to drive to Pegasus Hobbies to get a one. I paid $15 for it which was alright I guess. Anyway, I installed the motor and managed to get it started and running. SO that's how it feels to run a nitro. It's such an addicting feeling. I only wish it didn't stall when I tried braking. After I stalled it didn't want to turn on again. I thought to myself. Is the T-Maxx 2.5 a decent rig if i put a different motor?

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice » Sun May 17, 2009 4:46 pm

The problem with traxxas nitro trucks is the strength. The chassis's flex too much and the gears just aren't strong enough to handle the power. Not too mention the engines are junk. Replace the engine wth a better one and get all metal gears and replace all the braces with rpm ones or the better option metal ones. This will take care of the basic problems. Then just upgrade other parts as you break them. Or sell it and buy a better truck. You would be much happier.
SFC K is my hero!