T-Maxx won't start (not surprised)

Talk about glow, gas, and nitro engines, tuning, and fuels here.
OrionsClod

T-Maxx won't start (not surprised)

Post by OrionsClod » Tue May 12, 2009 7:46 pm

Hi guys.
Looks like temptation got to me again when I saw this deal on Craigslist. A T-Maxx 2.5 with EZ starter, Controller, with a PL Crowd Pleazer body, Fuel, RD Logics Exhaust pipe, and a protech super charger for just $100. I thought it was a deal so I got it. He told me before anything that it didn't start and was sitting in the garage for a good while. Knowing me I didn't care I thought if it was a lemon (which it is) I could just resell it and make my money back and buy that MGT 3.0. So when I got home I cleaned the fuel tank because it looked like there was some dried up fuel on the bottom. I cleaned the rubber fuel line tubing. I made sure everything was charged and set. I switched the power on the controller then turned on the receiver. When I tried starting it the only thing spinning was the EZ start motor (dunno if it's called that but it's that small electric motor by the engine) I would hear a gulp sound from the engine but that was just once. What can be the problem? I heard from the traxxas forum that it could be with the One Wheel Bearing. If so is it even worth fixing?

Thanks

Halgar
Administrator

Re: T-Maxx won't start (not surprised)

Post by Halgar » Tue May 12, 2009 8:18 pm

My initial thoughts is that it's the one way bearing as well and there's an easy way to test this theory. Remove the bearing and clean both it and the motor shaft to remove all the oil that is likely coating it (blowby from the rear seal on the engine ). Inspect the motor shaft for excessive wear. If it's worn much, the bearing can't grab it. Once you've done that, reassemble it and try again. The bearing should bite, at least a little even if it's worn out. With any luck, the bearing and motor shaft are fine.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice » Tue May 12, 2009 9:52 pm

I disagree with Halgar this time. The one-way bearings are cheap. Under $10. Don't bother trying to clean it. Just buy a new one. Uou will have to replace it often enough. The 2.5 isn't a good motor anyway. Check that the engine turns over freely enough buy it's own also. Turn the flywheel and it should spin freely. Just make sure it doesn't spin to freely like it doesn't have any compression left. Otherwise buy a new engine. Ofna makes a cheap and pretty reliable replacement for them.
SFC K is my hero!
All bow down before the great terminator-smilie!

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Tue May 12, 2009 10:01 pm

I didn't say NOT to buy a new bearing, but as a test, cleaning will determine if it's the bearing or the engine. Why buy a new bearing for a bad engine?

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice » Tue May 12, 2009 10:02 pm

Because you can then advertise that something on the engine is good
SFC K is my hero!

dleigh007
Approved Member

Post by dleigh007 » Tue May 12, 2009 10:05 pm

I agree with Halgar. Clean the one way bearing and if it works you still have a $100 rig :headbang:
;/ l ,[____], It's a Wheelin' thing!
l---L---o||||||o--
(.)_) (.)_)-----)_)

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Tue May 12, 2009 10:07 pm

vwjuice wrote:Because you can then advertise that something on the engine is good
But ONLY if it's a non-Traxxas bearing. :P

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice » Wed May 13, 2009 2:47 am

Well yeah duh find a different brand that works
SFC K is my hero!

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Wed May 13, 2009 3:09 am

vwjuice wrote:Well yeah duh find a different brand that works
LOL :lol:

OrionsClod

Post by OrionsClod » Wed May 13, 2009 5:40 am

Thanks i'll try this out if not oh well i'm keeping that proline body and charger then the rest is going back to craigslist ;D

Okay guys I took apart the engine and all. Cleaning the bearing and the shaft but something caught my eye. How freely does the flywheel have to be? I'm worried because when I fully turn the flywheel it's smooth til the second turn. There's a slightly strong tension but I can still turn it completely but as soon it's turned it makes this "GULP" sound. Is this normal?

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice » Wed May 13, 2009 1:39 pm

OrionsClod wrote:Thanks i'll try this out if not oh well i'm keeping that proline body and charger then the rest is going back to craigslist ;D

Okay guys I took apart the engine and all. Cleaning the bearing and the shaft but something caught my eye. How freely does the flywheel have to be? I'm worried because when I fully turn the flywheel it's smooth til the second turn. There's a slightly strong tension but I can still turn it completely but as soon it's turned it makes this "GULP" sound. Is this normal?

Typically with engines like that one, when you turn the flywheel (look in the exhaust port and make sure the piston is moving) you are turning the crankshaft. When the piston goes towards the top of its stroke there should be some tension. That is the compression. It should feel like that every time the piston gets to the top
SFC K is my hero!

OrionsClod

Post by OrionsClod » Wed May 13, 2009 2:22 pm

I have no idea what's the problem then. I checked the OWB and shaft and they look fine the OWB bites onto the shaft. I hooked it back together not much a difference but now you can hear the piston going up and down. As soon as you hear that it stops and only the ez start motor spins.

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Wed May 13, 2009 4:09 pm

Well, it could still be the OWB, however, like Juicey said, pop the exhaust pipe off and look into the port while you turn over the engine, both by hand and with the starter. There could be a problem with the piston. Considering that these motors are little more than a garbage can weight to begin with, the previous owner could have fried it. The thing that keeps me coming back to the OWB is that you're getting gulps from the engine, which would indicate that the piston is still attached to the crank. When you roll it over by hand, do you get a gulp each and every time when continually turning the flywheel?

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice » Wed May 13, 2009 5:53 pm

The "gulp" could be a worn piston/sleeve. Builds a little pressure at a time then dissipates it through the exhaust
SFC K is my hero!

OrionsClod

Post by OrionsClod » Wed May 13, 2009 7:21 pm

Halgar wrote:Well, it could still be the OWB, however, like Juicey said, pop the exhaust pipe off and look into the port while you turn over the engine, both by hand and with the starter. There could be a problem with the piston. Considering that these motors are little more than a garbage can weight to begin with, the previous owner could have fried it. The thing that keeps me coming back to the OWB is that you're getting gulps from the engine, which would indicate that the piston is still attached to the crank. When you roll it over by hand, do you get a gulp each and every time when continually turning the flywheel?
Yeah everytime. I finally got the bearing cleaned. There is no more slip there (i think) I wish my camera was working so I could post up a video but I found this video on youtube and my maxx is making sounds exactly like this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H38tcT_TFWc