looking to buy a nitro mt

Talk about glow, gas, and nitro engines, tuning, and fuels here.
jailer

looking to buy a nitro mt

Post by jailer » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:52 pm

my question is if you had to buy one.. which would it be?
keep in mind this will be my 1st nitro anything

Halgar
Administrator

Re: looking to buy a nitro mt

Post by Halgar » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:22 am

Whatever you do, DO NOT BUY a Traxxas! That is unless you want to double the cost in upgrades just to make it do what it should straight out of the box. With Traxxas products you either love them or hate them, there is no middle ground. You can probably guess where I would land in that range.

My bias aside, you'll need to be ready to relearn R/C as you know it. Nitro is completely different than electric. Most of the mechanicals are similar or the same, however, the nitro power plant adds a new dimension and complexity to the mix that can suck the fun out of R/C in a hurry if you're not prepared for it. I don't know if there's a stock power plant that is newbie friendly, but there are certainly a number of aftermarket plants that are - O.S. and XTM are two that I know of.

The type of nitro that you're going after will also make a difference in the general ease of things. If you want an all terrain/monster truck, your choices and problems are different than if you were to go with an on road or MT (mt = on road made for dirt, not monster truck ).

What are you looking at getting into and what do you want to do with it?
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

brushlesspede

Post by brushlesspede » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:03 pm

Do you want a monster truck, buggy, or a stadium truck, on road? Do you plan on bashing, racing? The tw3o most important questions..............

What brand does you local hobby shop carry?

What is your budget?

IMO the HPI engines have always been very easy to run, they tune easy and hold a tune well. If you want a Traxxas you will need to find a good thread on how to seal and engine, it will make life much easier. Seal it before you ever start it and you will never know how aggravating the TRX engines can be.
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

charliechristmas58
Approved Member

Post by charliechristmas58 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:47 pm

i to am thinking of going nitro. but i want off road. i went to a local track. they didnt have good things to say about traxxas. so im stuck hear in lala land. because my lhs only carries traxxas.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming to the Lord,
"Wow, What a ride!"

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:04 am

charliechristmas58 wrote:i to am thinking of going nitro. but i want off road. i went to a local track. they didnt have good things to say about traxxas. so im stuck hear in lala land. because my lhs only carries traxxas.
That's the nice thing about Tower Hobbies, they carry everything, and they don't care what you buy, so they're not going to give you misinformation - like an LHS - on what to buy. As I mentioned to Jailer, do your research online to find the pro's and con's of a nitro, it's pretty easy to Google and find lots of stuff. You'll also get better deals online than from an LHS, not that I'm trying to persuade anyone not to support their local economy, however, LHS's can give biased opinions because they make better money on some brands than others. And regardless of what your LHS carries and supports, they can order anything you need or want, you're just going to pay for that "luxury". One final note, there is an LHS near me that will match Tower pricing, the catch is that I live in a state that has sales tax, so I'd pay shipping AND tax on that order, whereas going directly to Tower there's no tax and over a certain dollar amount, there's no shipping either.

I personally would stay as far away from a Traxxas product as I could, but then that's me, I had a bad experience and won't ever give them another dime.

charliechristmas58
Approved Member

Post by charliechristmas58 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:01 am

you know that they are made hear in texas. man there giving us a bad name. but im going to google it. and i did think about tower. thanks halgar.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming to the Lord,
"Wow, What a ride!"

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:00 am

charliechristmas58 wrote: thanks halgar.
No problem. There are few things that I'll dig my heels into the ground about, and, this is one of them. I've always likened the Traxxas debate to be the same as the Ford, Chevy, Dodge debate. It doesn't matter what anyone else says, if you like a particular make/model, you're going to buy it. With Traxxas it's a love/hate relationship, and it's split right about down the middle as to one way or the other. The one guarantee, there's no middle ground. For what it's worth, my experience is that Traxxas isn't for the nitro newbie, things may have changed in the last 5 or 8 years, but I doubt it.

brushlesspede

Post by brushlesspede » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:42 am

charliechristmas58 wrote:you know that they are made hear in texas.
The Traxxas main office is in Texas but the actual product is not made in the USA....Try Taiwan.

I will say this, Traxxas has the best customer service in rc that I have dealt with! This includes HPI, Losi, Associated, and Kyosho. The worst is HPI, I tried calling, emailing, and even mailed a letter all with pretty simple question and never got a response and that was about 8 months ago.
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

charliechristmas58
Approved Member

Post by charliechristmas58 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:22 am

thank god that there made in taiwan. now we know who to blame. lol. I was thinking of HPI. but if there customer service sucks then its on to the next one. this is not going to be easy.
"Wow, What a ride!"

brushlesspede

Post by brushlesspede » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:38 am

charliechristmas58 wrote:thank god that there made in taiwan. now we know who to blame. lol. I was thinking of HPI. but if there customer service sucks then its on to the next one. this is not going to be easy.
HPI's cs sucks but their rc's are very good IMO.
Thomas Jefferson

Bolt_Crank
Approved Member

Post by Bolt_Crank » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:23 pm

Crappy customer service is generally livable when you rarely have problems :)

To be honest, I haven't had any issues at all with my Jato... At least none I can really blame on Traxxas, lol.

Never really had any major trouble with it... Been awhile since I fired it up, though, so we'll have to see what it's like this summer, lol.

The Jato does NOT like snow and ice...
Jiggy jiggy wham wham YEAH!

brushlesspede

Post by brushlesspede » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:18 am

Bolt_Crank wrote:Been awhile since I fired it up, though, so we'll have to see what it's like this summer, lol.
Before you crank it, pull the head off and try to drown it with wd40, spin it until the majority of the wd comes out, put head back, install new plug, prime engine and if the carb setting are close it should fire right up. All the years I ran nitro this has never failed.
Thomas Jefferson

Bolt_Crank
Approved Member

Post by Bolt_Crank » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:42 am

It got soaked in WD40 before it went away, too :mrgreen:
Jiggy jiggy wham wham YEAH!

TomT
Approved Member

Post by TomT » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:03 pm

I've had 4? nitro vehicles, all Kyosho.

First was an older Super Ten on-road (actually this was my second r/c and first nitro, did not know crap about them) fast as all get out but tempermental, and died on a head on collison with a boulder (crystal vibrated loose and was WFO at the time) Have to say everything my fault basically.... nobody to show me the ropes either.

Second, Blizzard, very neat tracked vehicle, .12 engine ran flawless... linkages were not fun on the brakes or throttle ... blah , blah, blah. Engine was always willing while lots of other things were not... users fault (mine).

Third Mad Force, AWESOME MONSTER TRUCK, three speed gear box, fast as all get out, wheelied forever, beach running flawless (except for hitting big driftwood), had an issue with popping the rear driveshaft, that was fixed with a cv type unit from Kyosho. Engine was a .21 that ran when it wanted to... I read some stuff that this was the norm for this engine :( Buddy of mine had a tricked out Savage and thought my Mad Force was the cats meow even (when it ran) though he could not believe how simple it's design was.

Fourth (actually third time wise but it took me so long to build it became the fourth) LandMAx2. Fooking awesome! Based off their 8th scale buggy (suspensions was different :( ) everything was beef, had a different .21 from the Mad Force, started good, ran good, awesome, problem was it was so old by the time I built it I could not find replacement tires and wheels! (burnt them off in 2 days) Used parts off the Mad Force to fit 8th scale buggy tires and wheels and it rocked again... until I got it high centered on a rock and stripped the central driven gear through a clearance hole in the chassis plate :( Very nice car otherwise, their new 8th scale car uses everything from the buggies so it so be really nice. (currently sitting in a box in Minnesota waiting to be ressurected)

TomT
TomT

Indiana Jones: "...It's not the years, but the mileage..."

buddy77
Approved Member

Post by buddy77 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:36 pm

spend the cash and get a savage x you will never look back . super easy to tune and its a beast you cant kill it . :wink: