crawler

Talk about glow, gas, and nitro engines, tuning, and fuels here.
dads 56
Approved Member

crawler

Post by dads 56 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:28 pm

Hey all
I was just wondering if anyone has built a nitro rock crawler and if you could give me any ideas,i do realise that it has to be cooled...

rick12o9r6

Post by rick12o9r6 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:22 am

I personally did not built a crawler out of a nitro. But my buddy has. He used his traxxas revo. Lifted it and put 2.2 wheels. And some other stuff. Got pretty hot thats all i know. I know that this isnt much info, but hope it helps. rick-out

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:58 am

Nitro's need speed and airflow to keep a cool head (all puns intended :lol: ), they don't do well under load with no airflow. I've heard of a few nitro/electric hybrids, but as Rick said, still had overheating issues.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

troystr68
Approved Member

Post by troystr68 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:31 pm

wouldn't the clutch be an issue for crawling? as it it would explode?
Life is too short to be in a hurry Slow down and enjoy the ride!!!

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:33 pm

There is that too, though I don't know that it would explode, just not lock up tight enough to do much. On my maxx I filled all the friction peg holes and cranked the screws down tight and it still wouldn't hold for even mild crawling.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

TomT
Approved Member

Post by TomT » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:05 pm

Maybe an engine and tranny out of a Nitro blizzard and gear it down more. It would still probably be pretty harsh throttle response.

Gereke

Post by Gereke » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:40 pm

Nitro engines have a power band just like any internal combustion mill.. They have to build up their torque through RPM's and these little two strokers will just get too hot.

Not to mention you'd eat clutches like popcorn, always having to ride them between slipping and gripping- all the while trying to keep your motor wound up enough to produce power.

I think there is a pretty good reason why you don't see very many dedicated nitro crawlers.. They just aren't good for it.

brushlesspede

Re: crawler

Post by brushlesspede » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:24 pm

You can gear it down as much as possible and it will run over things but a nirto will not crawl! Crawlers have a top speed of about 5 mph...you will never slow a nitro down that much.
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

TomT
Approved Member

Re: crawler

Post by TomT » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:21 pm

brushlesspede wrote:You can gear it down as much as possible and it will run over things but a nirto will not crawl! Crawlers have a top speed of about 5 mph...you will never slow a nitro down that much.
First gear on a nitro blizzard is pretty darn slow.
TomT

Indiana Jones: "...It's not the years, but the mileage..."