HELP WITH STARTING PROBLEM

Talk about glow, gas, and nitro engines, tuning, and fuels here.
brushlesspede

Post by brushlesspede » Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:23 am

Clean the owb and the shaft where it goes. When your ready to start it use a heat gun or blow dryer to preheat the engine, slightly loosen the glow plug then start, once it starts tighten the glow plug. This will make it easier for the engine to turn and put less pressure on the owb.

Don't get offended but just in case...Make sure your not putting the owb on backwards.
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:41 am

megafan88 wrote:hey halgar, there must be compresion as when i turn the flywheel it is very tight and then makes a pop when the piston goes back down, the shaft that the bearing sits on does rotate by hand, but it is quite hard to turn it over by hand, and sometimes when there is to much pressure at the top of the pistons stroke, it just releases its grab and makes a tick noise, what do u think? I am confused, but i did send another email to hpi, this is the 3rd one! :cry: :lol:
Pull the plug and then rotate the flywheel. Does this make a difference? Shine a light down the hole and watch the piston movement, is it smooth?
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

megafan88
Approved Member

Post by megafan88 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:40 pm

hey brushlesspede, thanks, i appreciate ur recommendations, not offended, but no i dont have it on backwards :lol: Halgar, with the plug removed, the piston still moves up and down, i will check it out more in depth today and post this afternoon, thanks guys for all this help, i need to get this problem figured out.
I dont really have too many rc's......do I? ;p

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:54 pm

If the internals are ok, then it sounds like a bearing problem. Try cleaning both the shaft and the bearing, one more time, and DO NOT put any lube back on the bearing, see if that makes a difference. It's hard to believe that everything worked fine, then all of a sudden it quit working, this indicates something beyond the bearing to me, but then I'm certainly no nitro expert.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

brushlesspede

Post by brushlesspede » Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:58 pm

Roto starts/ez starts are very hard on OWB, it's also possible that your new OWB is defective. BWT $30.00 seems a bit high for a OWB, might want to check Tower Hobbies or eBay.

How much fuel has been run through the engine?
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

megafan88
Approved Member

Post by megafan88 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:56 am

I live in Canada, the OWB actually cost 23 bucks. But, I think the problem with my engine not starting is more serious :x I took out the plug like Halgar recommended, and the piston moved up fine, but then did not go back down, WITH the plug out, i also heard a noise like sand grinding inside :evil: which means i may have gotten dirt into the engine, but the compression is still good, is there any way to save the engine, and if not, what engine do u recommend to replace it, or should i rebuild it, or does this even affect the starting. Well, im in the process of tearing down the engine to look, but how do u get the back plate off of the engine block, i loosened the bolts but it is tightly on there, do i just need to gently pry it off. :?: Man, i hope i didn't get dirt in it, :shock:

brushlesspede

Post by brushlesspede » Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:52 am

How much fuel has been run through this engine?
Thomas Jefferson

megafan88
Approved Member

Post by megafan88 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:44 pm

not even 1 gallon, if that is what a jug of the fuel is