HELP WITH STARTING PROBLEM

Talk about glow, gas, and nitro engines, tuning, and fuels here.
megafan88
Approved Member

HELP WITH STARTING PROBLEM

Post by megafan88 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:16 pm

Hey guys, Im having another problem with my savage x, and i cannot figure it out. Its the starter, it will not grab on and fire the engine up, it just spins freely when u push the electric starter. I replaced the roto start with a pull start and added a new one way bearing, which it then started but it was very hard to, and then it stalled later due to idle adjustment, but would not start back up as it freely winded around and didnt catch. it will still not start and i need some help on what to look for! thanks :? :x
I dont really have too many rc's......do I? ;p

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:35 pm

Take out the one way bearing and spray some buggy blast or other degreaser/cleaner into. These become gummed with spent fuel/oil and quit working. Most of time cleaning will do the trick.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

megafan88
Approved Member

Post by megafan88 » Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:31 am

:D hey thanks halgar for the tip, i will try it tommorow morning and post how it goes, thanks again, mabey that is the problem :shock:

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:20 am

This is what I did with Maxx when the same thing would happen, and it worked like a charm. The bearings do wear out after a while, but my suspicion is that you have not gotten to that point yet. As I recall, I also put a couple drops of bearing lube on after the cleaning, because it just seems wrong to me to run a bearing dry, which is what the running nitro engine does when you're not yanking on the rope. If you do lube it, just use a drop or two of a really REALLY light weight oil. I used Trinity bearing lube because it's what I have and it's got a really handle needle tip that makes applying small drops easy.

I look forward to your update.

RcK cRwLr

Post by RcK cRwLr » Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:06 am

I really think the Tmaxx is nortotius for that. You made the best step by putting a pull start on it , granted its a lil harder but it also lightens up the truck.

I to am anxious :D
ihaveabruiser wrote: As far as all non crawler builds go, they go in chit chat, this is RCCrawler not clod talk :flipoff: :flipoff: :lol: :lol:
MIke
http://www.GSRCRC.com
r(k (rw1r

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:22 am

RcK cRwLr wrote:I really think the Tmaxx is nortotius for that.
Maxx's are notorious for blowing/leaking out every possible location ... Motors, seals, shocks, fuel tanks ... :? :? :?

LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:

megafan88
Approved Member

Post by megafan88 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:32 am

hey guys, i tried to degrease the bearing and shaft that it sits on with some wd40 :? thats all i had, anyways, it did not seem to work :( I noticed that when i hand turn the shaft that the one way bearing revolves around, it turns, but will not catch. There is just a slight hesitation like its catching and then it just makes a click sound, mabey the problem isn't the starter or one way bearing because of this. I also noticed with closer inspection that the back plate screw thread on one of the mounting threaded holes for the starter has cracked off so the screw does not stay in place. There is supposed to be 3 screws but know there is 2. The truck was bought in June, and it is covered by a 2 year warranty, should i send the engine in, the truck is in good shape, but the starter is a problem, some advice guys would be really appreciated. THANKS :D

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:57 am

WD isn't going to cut it. You need a degreaser and if you put any oil back onto the bearing, it should only be a couple drops of very thin oil. 3 in 1 will work, but I'd use rc bearing lube, it's about as light as you're going to find. I still think that it's gummed up, however, they do wear out over time, so it is possible the bearing is shot.

megafan88
Approved Member

Post by megafan88 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:57 pm

well, i am going to try a different degreaser today instead of wd and try it again, as for the bearing, i know it is not shot as i just bought a new one to replace the one that seems not to work, well thanks halgar, i will try your advice and post again :D

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:17 pm

Well, if you already have a new one, toss it in there and see if that's it. If it is, just clean up the old one and toss it into your tool box as a spare for when this happens again. If this isn't the problem, email HPI for some pointers. It's usually something simple, no matter what the problem.

megafan88
Approved Member

Post by megafan88 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:34 pm

ok i will try to email hpi because it did not work with the new one way bearing either, i will post again when i get hpi advice, thanks for all the help though halgar :D

megafan88
Approved Member

Post by megafan88 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:07 pm

hey guys, i emailed hpi and they gave me the same advice as u guys have :( i degreased the new one bearing with brakleen, something we use at work that would have taken the grease out no problem. This degreasing does not fix the problem. Could the cluttch have something to do with it? I need some other suggestions. Could something have come loose inside the engine. HPI keeps telling me to buy a new one way, but i just did and i am not spending another 30 bucks, there should be nothing wrong with this new bearing. Im going to go to the LHS today. Well thanks for any advice ahead of time. 8)

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:03 pm

Sometimes the crankshaft where the bearing rides will wear. Is there any unusual markings, abrasions, etc on the crank?

The bearing not engaging will have nothing to do with any other part of the engine but the point the bearing contacts the crank. It's either the bearing or the crank. That being said, what if it isn't a starter problem? What if the bearing is working just fine, but the crank or some other internal part is broken? Can you turn the flywheel? Is there compression?

megafan88
Approved Member

Post by megafan88 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:21 pm

hey halgar, there must be compresion as when i turn the flywheel it is very tight and then makes a pop when the piston goes back down, the shaft that the bearing sits on does rotate by hand, but it is quite hard to turn it over by hand, and sometimes when there is to much pressure at the top of the pistons stroke, it just releases its grab and makes a tick noise, what do u think? I am confused, but i did send another email to hpi, this is the 3rd one! :cry: :lol:

megafan88
Approved Member

Post by megafan88 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:18 am

hey halgar, know that u speak of it, there is some where on the shaft, the shaft is shiny right, but where the bearing sits is a dull color now.