whats a good spring?

Talk about glow, gas, and nitro engines, tuning, and fuels here.
The Red Dragon
Approved Member

whats a good spring?

Post by The Red Dragon » Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:09 am

hey y'all i got a nitro sport with a rebuilt fantom .15 in it and i wanted to install a return spring on the trottle servo incase it glitches and tries to run away, i don't have the cash yet for a fail safe so i was wondering what a good spring would be and how to hook it up. thanks
R.I.P Braden Mare. you where a true friend and will be missed.

Rides:
JunkYard Nautilus....in dry dock for repairs
clodbuster (bigfoot 8 ) (upgraded to 12v lead acid sealed battery)
HPI RS4 MT (dead, brushless killed it)

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:18 pm

I can't say "buy THIS spring", because how do you describe how strong it is? Basically, what ya need is one strong enough to overcome an unpowered (dead battery ) throttle servo. The length will depend on how you mount it. Not a lot of help, I know, but that's about all I can tell you. I tried on on my Maxx for a while, but it never worked to well, and obviously, it increases the load on the throttle servo, which the one I had didn't like! LOL There really is no substitute for a fail safe, both for preventing run-aways and for piece of mind.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

The Red Dragon
Approved Member

Post by The Red Dragon » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:21 pm

okies
so insted of the spring i'll just install a fail safe. so the things i need for my truck are

Fuel
Starter Box
Glo PLugs
Fail safe
and glo plug ignighter

okies, so now i just gotta save up what i can

Rides:

132NHAF
Administrator

Post by 132NHAF » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:34 pm

After experiencing some major failures and being a member on a few nitro boards, I finally came to the conclusion that you need BOTH a Throttle Return Spring and a Fail Safe. Here is why.

Any throttle return spring that is strong enough to return a dead servo to neutral, or brake, will undoubtedly wear your reciever battery down at a super fast rate. However, a TRS is needed for those rare occasions when your linkage becomes separated from the servo. The spring should go from the horn on the carb to a good anchor point. Remember, the throttle horn moves pretty easy with no servo linkage connected so the spring doesn't have to be that strong. Then the TRS will work great.

The fail safe, on the other hand, is the best way to combat failures due to interference or low battery supply to the servo.

This is why it is necessary to run both.

Now, to answer your original question, find an old click-type ball point pen, remove the spring, bend the ends to fit into the throttle horn on the carb. and find a good anchor point for the other end. This will be the cheapest insurance for now.
Scott T

Stickers...Get your ClodTalk stickers here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25953

It's not WHAT toys you play with, but that you play with toys at all that is important.

The Red Dragon
Approved Member

Post by The Red Dragon » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:02 pm

sweet ,thanks. now to hunt down a clicky pen and price out fail safes. still need to find a starter box for my nitro

Rides: