savage x question some advice anyone?

Talk about glow, gas, and nitro engines, tuning, and fuels here.
megafan88
Approved Member

savage x question some advice anyone?

Post by megafan88 » Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:46 am

hey guys, I bought a savage x and it was running real good on the 6th tank of fuel. Anyways, I noticed after a run that my pressure line to the exhaust pipe was disconnected. I think it might have came off in my cars trunk, because wouldn't the truck not run with this fitting off? I hope it did not cause any problems . Any help will be good, thanks. By the way this is an wsomely powerful truck. :twisted:
I dont really have too many rc's......do I? ;p

envious8420
Approved Member

Post by envious8420 » Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:27 pm

its nothing to worry about.
hook it back up and have some fun.
Fast Fords for life!
My 1:1 Ranger
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/246028
So good it'll make you wanna slap yo' mama.

megafan88
Approved Member

Post by megafan88 » Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:58 pm

Thanks, that is some relief :lol: Hey, is that your ranger, because that is one sweet truck 8)

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:05 pm

Without the pressure line the engine would lean out and you'd notice a temperature rise, higher rpm, and probably a surging and burbling sound from the engine running out of fuel, then catching up, running out, catching up... Since you didn't describe any of that activity, then you're probably right that the line came loose in your trunk.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

megafan88
Approved Member

Post by megafan88 » Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:50 am

Halgar, you are most likely right, as the truck was running really good. It was quite hot to the touch but i am guessing that is normal. It ran without stalling, and was easy to fire up for another run. Is there any way to make sure the pressure fitting stays on when running the truck. It seems a bit loose. Thanks :?

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:00 am

zip-ties! Put one on each end of every piece of fuel tubing. This will not only keep them from falling off, but also prevent air leaks, which are equally bad.

I read about your shift problem in the other thread and I suspect that it's more of a tuning problem than a tranny adjustment. I suspect that you're not getting enough rpms to achieve shift, try leaning out the high end just a touch.

megafan88
Approved Member

Post by megafan88 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:40 am

hey halgar, i took your advice but still donot see a shift, only about twice when the tank was next to empty. It was blowing alot of smoke so it might be safe still, but i leaned it out about 1 1/4 turns lean from flush(factory settings). I donot want to run it to lean, the engine was very hot to the touch and it was idling way to fast, but i will adjust the idle screw for that. I left the low speed needle where it was as it produces good low end torque and wheelies, and blows white/dark smoke. What do you think? more leaning? :? :?:

The Red Dragon
Approved Member

Post by The Red Dragon » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:25 am

nah, i'd say you got the motor to the right stage, now it's tranny settings, i've read the HPI specs and maintance for the savage X and if it's not shifting you can adjust so it shifts sooner or later, depends on what you desire
R.I.P Braden Mare. you where a true friend and will be missed.

Rides:
JunkYard Nautilus....in dry dock for repairs
clodbuster (bigfoot 8 ) (upgraded to 12v lead acid sealed battery)
HPI RS4 MT (dead, brushless killed it)

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:31 am

I am by NO means an expert, however, if you're getting shifts with the tank near empty, that means that the engine is leaning out and getting high enough rpm to shift. "Hot to the touch" doesn't mean much when you're tanlking about a power plant that will generate 150 to 250 degrees under normal conditions, well beyond "touch" range. The only way to know what your temp is, is to use a temp gun like this:

Some guys claim to be able to do a "spit" test, whereby you put a dab of spit on the head, and judge how hot the engine is by the way the spittle dances on the heatsink. This was never a reliable method for me, and once I had the above temp gun (this one happens NOT to have the laser pointer light, which IMHO is a nice option it's big brother has for a few extra bucks ), I knew what the temps were without a doubt. I don't know what the temp range your particular motor has an affinity for, but once you have the temp gun, finding that zone is a breeze.

From your last remark, I suspect that you can lean out the high end another touch. From my understanding, it is the hi screw that you get the most performance from. Tne low end deals mostly with idle and off idle performance. Once you have the hi and low needles set, then you adjust the idle screw. Do ALL adjustments with the engine fully warmed up, otherwise you're just trying to set a cold engine and all you'll be doing is chasing the settings around every time you start the truck.

megafan88
Approved Member

Post by megafan88 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:15 am

hey thanks halgar and red dragon, i will try your advice tonight or tommorow and let you know how things go, and if i finally solve this shift/tune problem. Check in later. 8)

megafan88
Approved Member

Post by megafan88 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:36 pm

hey halgar and red dragon, i tried your advice and it is working now, it shifts really well and is running very good. It blows exhaust and starts very well and is very fast, there is no bogging at low speed and no stutter at high speed, still working on idle, but at least i figured out the tuning. thanks for all the help. :D

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:51 pm

No problem. Glad you got it running. 8) 8)