2.5 won't idle

Talk about glow, gas, and nitro engines, tuning, and fuels here.
brushlesspede

2.5 won't idle

Post by brushlesspede » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:24 pm

I'm usually know what I'm doing with nitro but I'm aggravated and can't think straight right now. I just got my old S Maxx back and it will not idle at all. I have to give it about half throttle for it to start but as soon as I let off it dies, no high idle are anything just dies. I took the air filter off to check the opening and noticed fuel was spraying out of the carb. I herd of this before but don't remember what is the cause. It's a stock 2.5 high speed is at 4 turns, low is flush with carb body...It use to run perfect with these settings. Any ideas?

Thanks
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Bolt_Crank
Approved Member

Post by Bolt_Crank » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:49 pm

might be idling a little too rich... also, have you tried adjusting the idle speed screw?

IIRC, your needle settings are almost factory (highspeed is 4.5 turns from flush, and low speed is flush)

try messing with the idle speed needle first... I had the same issue (never checked to see if there was fuel spraying through the carb, though...) and the idle screw fixed it...

how much fuel has been ran through it? the engine or carb may be due for a rebuild...

(Traxxas replacement program is a great idea here... you get the 2.5R now... :lol: )

I just finished running my Jato in 0 degree weather... and it ran and idled great (which is weird, it had troubles running when the temps were warm :lol: )
Jiggy jiggy wham wham YEAH!

tmaxxmatt75
Approved Member

Post by tmaxxmatt75 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:47 am

Check for air leaks. The smalles little cut in a fuel or pressure line will screw things up. I had a cut so small that you had to bend the fuel line a certain way to even see it....but it screwed with my settings. :wink: As little as fuel tubing costs I'd just replace it. Check the fuel tank lid as well. They are known not to seat well after time. Also, check to make sure the engine head is screwed down all the way. I've had the bolts back off before. I'd do all that before I messed with the HSN or LSN. After you replace that stuff make sure the setting are back to factory and go from there.

Outta curiosity how many gallons does the engine have through it.
Are you gonna bark all day little doggy, or are you gonna bite?

brushlesspede

Post by brushlesspede » Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:14 am

Thanks for the suggestions guys. The engine has less than 2 gallons through it with lots of compression, the carb is almost new. I'm 99.9% sure it's not the idle or carb settings. I went over every screw on the engine and there all tight. What ever is causing fuel to spray into the air filter is my problem but I'm not sure whats causing that?
Last edited by brushlesspede on Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Bolt_Crank
Approved Member

Post by Bolt_Crank » Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:17 am

2 gallons, then it's practically brand new... :lol:
there's been people who've hit 8 gallons before...

you said you just got it back.... where was it?

brushlesspede

Post by brushlesspede » Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:24 am

Bolt_Crank wrote:2 gallons, then it's practically brand new... :lol:
there's been people who've hit 8 gallons before...

you said you just got it back.... where was it?
I traded it for a Twin Force. The guy ran it twice and robbed a couple of parts from it to fix his T Maxx, it's been sitting up since July 4th. I went through it and cleaned it but still not right.
Thomas Jefferson

Bolt_Crank
Approved Member

Post by Bolt_Crank » Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:38 am

according to one or two threads on the Traxxas forum, it could be your piston/sleeve being bad...

or you could just be running rich and flooding the engine...

as far as good compression goes... it might have it when it's cold, but when it warms up you might lose that compression

brushlesspede

Post by brushlesspede » Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:13 am

I'm sitting here wonder wtf is wrong with this thing then :idea: When I took the engine apart I might have put the piston in backwards...On one side it comes down lower than the other, I put the longer side towards the exhaust. Is that right?
Thomas Jefferson

brushlesspede

Post by brushlesspede » Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:56 am

I took apart a different engine and I did put the piston in wrong ](*,) I just fixed it, hopefully it will run now LOL
Thomas Jefferson

Bolt_Crank
Approved Member

Post by Bolt_Crank » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:44 am

:lol: :lol:

hope it works for ya! :lol: :D

tmaxxmatt75
Approved Member

Post by tmaxxmatt75 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:43 pm

:lol:

Glad you foud it....have you tested it to see if it'll run now.

brushlesspede

Post by brushlesspede » Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:55 pm

I haven't tested it yet. I'll give it a try later today. I feel llike a complete noobe after doing something like this :oops:
Thomas Jefferson

tmaxxmatt75
Approved Member

Post by tmaxxmatt75 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:49 pm

brushlesspede wrote:I haven't tested it yet. I'll give it a try later today. I feel llike a complete noobe after doing something like this :oops:
Don't feel bad. We all do stuff like that from time to time. I rebuilt my diff's in my old maxx and put the front one back in backwards.....truck wouldn't roll. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bolt_Crank
Approved Member

Post by Bolt_Crank » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:20 pm

Yeah... I forgot to glue half of my rear tires on my Jato (yay for TRX2.5 in a 5lb vehicle!!)

brushlesspede

Post by brushlesspede » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:58 pm

It started up and it idled perfect ! I was running it without the lid and rolled it on the road...bye bye spur gear :lol: At least it's runninig good :D

Thanks for the help guys.
Thomas Jefferson