My first nitro is on the way...

Talk about glow, gas, and nitro engines, tuning, and fuels here.
132NHAF
Administrator

Post by 132NHAF » Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:36 am

Whooo Hooo, another Nitro Master. It's nice to see someone else that is into Nitros.

I agree with the idea of running in the cold. What I have seen done before is someting simple to wrap the upper fins with to help retain heat. IMO this is better than cutting because it seems that cutting limits you to a narrower range of cold. Also, most of the guys that I use to talk to agree that the truck needs to be stored somewhere other than an extremely cold environment. I'm sure your garage is somewhat heated against the extreme temps and should work well. Also, before starting the truck, when it is cold, you might want to use a hair dryer to pre-warm the engine. The tolerances in these little engines is exremely tight so any little bit will help.

The temp gun is almost a must because you need to know what the temp is at the plug. A spit test will be a waste of time in exteme cold. The first couple of times you run it in the cold, check the temp very often, this will give you a base line and you might find that many adjustments will have to be made to get it to run at good temp.

I hope this, along with all the other information, totally overwhelms you. It will make me fell better to know that I'm not the only one that had a steep learning curve.. :D
Scott T

Stickers...Get your ClodTalk stickers here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25953

It's not WHAT toys you play with, but that you play with toys at all that is important.

Bolt_Crank
Approved Member

Post by Bolt_Crank » Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:12 am

:lol:

sweetness, this is the kind of stuff I needed to know!

maybe I'll rig up some sort of air filter water protection device... :shock:

What do you figure is the coldest I can run at?

Then engine itself, will probably be easy enough to keep warm... hopefully :lol:

I'm more worried about the oil in the fuel getting too thick...

though, I figure, below -4 to -13 degrees F, I'll just bust out the Clod for the bashing.... it'll be nice to get more than one 10 cell pack :lol:

I can't wait for the Jato to get in *bounces*

I'm actually planning on getting either the Ofna temperature probe or the HPI one... the Raytek, according to the specs, doesn't work right in less than 32 degrees F, whereas the Ofna and HPI are good for 14 degrees F...

The only problem with me getting a Duratrax one, is that Towerhobbies shipping is mad crazy expensive for me... the minimum cost for anything is $17.99... for a pack of shims :lol:

I've got some new tires + rims and everything already... just waiting for the machine :twisted: they're currently living on my Fighter Buggy RX...

Rustler rims with HPI Yokohama Geolanders... and holy macaroni batman! they've got grip! they're uber soft!

and since, from what I hear, the Jato eats the stock tires during break in... those'll be my pavement runners :twisted:

What I'll end up using for filter oil... will probably break down to cost... I might just use the basic stuff for the 2.5TRX, and grab myself an O.S. .18TM (all it needs to fit, is an HPI RS4 On-Road header :twisted: )

but, we'll see... I'll have to do extensive tests as well...

hated1racing: what were your run times with the truck?

I think, if the weather is good enough, I'll bring the thing to our abandoned go-kart track... or our R/C track, if the gates aren't locked :lol:

I'll have to stock up on rear shock towers.... I'm not an expert in jumping.... or even a novice yet :wink:
Jiggy jiggy wham wham YEAH!

132NHAF
Administrator

Post by 132NHAF » Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:22 pm

Hmm, never thought about the oil in the fuel. There's a good chance that it might separate in those temps. I'd put a little in a jar outside and see how it acts.

As far as engines, if you want to change, check out the XTM .18. I had a Maxx for a while and I installed one. It was less than $80, was easy to break in, had insane power and stayed tuned like the OS in my HPI truck.

For water resistant filters, try a Motor Saver and this: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wt ... LXBF97&P=7
Scott T

Stickers...Get your ClodTalk stickers here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25953

It's not WHAT toys you play with, but that you play with toys at all that is important.

Bolt_Crank
Approved Member

Post by Bolt_Crank » Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:37 pm

is the XTM a direct drop in?

If it does start to thicken... I can probably rig up a tank warmer or something, anyway, lol

good thing I'll be keeping it inside the house... Our garage may be insulated, and attatched to the house... but it still gets bloody cold :shock: :lol:

-40 degrees C = -40 degrees F

funky....

anywho

what's the coldest you've ever ran your nitro in?

edit: it seems that the XTM .18 puts out ~1.3 HP... the same as the TRX 2.5 :shock:

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:04 pm

About the fuel, if left in the cold it may separate, or at least become thicker, I don't know. I would take the precaution of storing the fuel in the house where it does NOT get too cold. Fuel does not like temperature extremes and will lose volatility. I also agree with the "preheating" of the engine with a hair dryer or heat gun, it does make starting much easier. I would suggest that you keep things in the house, and when you travel somewhere to run it, put the fuel in the cabin with you where it will stay warm.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Bolt_Crank
Approved Member

Post by Bolt_Crank » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:26 pm

Way ahead of y'all on that one... Cleaning out a corner of my room for all my R/C stuff.... finally :lol:

I suppose I can use the temp gun + freezer for highspeed results :lol:

I'll have to go buy some more WD-40 though... I'm almost out :shock:

Maximumoverkill
Approved Member

Post by Maximumoverkill » Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:43 pm

Bolt crank I'm a fresh out of nitro guy right now (just sold my Revo 2 weeks ago) and these guys are giving you some good advice. I just sold my temp gun and gave away my new MS air filter a couple weeks ago, now I wish I still had them because I would give them to ya if I did.

The duratrax temp gun actually works really well, thats what I had. They were almost $30 new but now you can snag them on ebay for about $17-18 so give that a look. If you go with a motor saver filter you might have to richen the needles up just a tad as well. The MS filter flows more air than the stock parts so you will have to adjust for it.

I use to run my nitros in the winter, but even here in MI we didnt see the kinda temps you are talking about. Lowest I ran a truck in was about 30F. And whoever said to heat your motor with a hair dryer is dead on. Not only does it help the motor live but it will also make it much easier to start in those temps your talking.

Is the truck your getting new or used....if its new then I'm just wondering what the temps are where your at now because you have to be very careful of the motor temps during break in and extreme cold outside temps will just make it that much harder to keep the motor temp where you want it for break in.

Steve
I hear the train a comin'; it's rollin' 'round the bend, And I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when.
I'm stuck at Folsom Prison and time keeps draggin' on.

Bolt_Crank
Approved Member

Post by Bolt_Crank » Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:43 pm

Luckilly, it's used, and already broken in.... which is good, 'cuz it started snowing today... which sucks because my front tires have NO GRIP... anywho...

I'll probably end up printing some of this stuff off :lol:

though, I've heard odd things about the MS filters... could be just with the Jato, though... something about no support in the middle *shrugs*

I dunno... I'll wait and see :?

hated1racing
Approved Member

Post by hated1racing » Sat Nov 05, 2005 4:05 pm

about 5minutes to the tank. oh and you should stick to 30% because that is what the engine was broken in with and it is not recommended to switch around with different nitro percentages.

still have not gotten it? i may call your local customs, it has to be there by now.
'everybody needs to believe in something, i believe i'll have another beer'. -Lee Ving

"how fortunate for governments that the people they administer dont think". -Adolph Hitler

Bolt_Crank
Approved Member

Post by Bolt_Crank » Sat Nov 05, 2005 4:13 pm

we'll see what the LHS has in stock

and nope... still not here yet

*twitches*

:lol:

if they don't carry 30% then I'll run the next highest they've got...

the racetrack we've got isn't too big, so I don't know if they stock high power stuff, lol

if I switch to lower percentage fuel, will my runtimes change at all?

Maximumoverkill
Approved Member

Post by Maximumoverkill » Sat Nov 05, 2005 4:22 pm

Nope runtimes will stay the same. I would stick with 25-30%.
I hear the train a comin'; it's rollin' 'round the bend, And I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when.

Bolt_Crank
Approved Member

Post by Bolt_Crank » Sat Nov 05, 2005 4:34 pm

shibby

now... aboot them tuned pipes...

what's the difference between single and dual chamber?

and what can I do to change the sound of the exhaust, other than change the pipe? (I'm assuming not too much here... :lol: )

Maximumoverkill
Approved Member

Post by Maximumoverkill » Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:57 pm

I havent had a dual chamber pipe so I cant really speak much about them.

far as the sound...not much without changing the pipe. I know a few guys that messed with cuting/drilling on their pipes to change the sound but I alway thought they were messing with something they shouldnt be messing with. Because it would change the sound on their trucks, but anytime you mess with a pipe your screwing with backpressure, tuning of the pipe, etc. So I'd just looking into a new pipe if you want to change the sound.

Bolt_Crank
Approved Member

Post by Bolt_Crank » Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:00 pm

maybe I'll see if I can make myself a mini flowmaster to use as a deflector :lol:

Drilling the pipe just seems.... wrong

Maximumoverkill
Approved Member

Post by Maximumoverkill » Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:10 pm

Bolt_Crank wrote:
Drilling the pipe just seems.... wrong
Tell me about it....I knew a guy at the track that had a nice NXT but he drilled a couple of big 3/8" hole in the bottom of the pipe :? sounded like someone was murdering a weedwacker everytime he fired it up :roll: