new to nitro what do i need to know ???

Talk about glow, gas, and nitro engines, tuning, and fuels here.
one eye dog

new to nitro what do i need to know ???

Post by one eye dog » Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:24 pm

Hey guy i will have my frist nitor truck,so what do i need to know ? like where not to put my nose or fingers, and all the newbe crap that dont know now :roll: i am a man and i need to know all the good and bad of nitor thanks ryan. :wink:
Last edited by one eye dog on Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

jwrape
Approved Member

Post by jwrape » Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:50 pm

First thing would be, go back to electric :lol:
Thorp Big Brute,JrX10 (RC10 and JrX2 combined), 26.5" Nitro Swamp buggy, TLT/Emaxx Hybrid, 2 TLT Custom Scale Jeeps, 1 TLT Unimog, Blackfoot, Grasshopper w/black`foot conversion, 1/6 Jeep TJ & Misc. Vintage Sears RC

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:41 pm

First question, do you consider yourself a patient man? If so, then nitro will probably be a rewarding experience for you. If not, forget nitro now and stick with electrics.

Nitro is completely different than electric and will require re-learning R/C. If you are up for that task, then go for it. The next question would be WHAT nitro are you getting? If it has Traxxas written anywhere on it, you're in for some serious headaches. A lot of guys love 'em, most reviews are that they are NOT newbie friendly, particularly the 2.5 engines. O.S. and XTM powerplants get high marks for tuneability and longevity.

As to the nitty gritty of working on nitro, I found that a temp gun is most useful in tuning and getting the engine in the "safety" zone. Experienced tuners say to just spit on the head and the way the spit sizzles will tell you everything you need to know, but then if you were experienced, you wouldn't have posed your question. I prefer the temp gun with the laser pointer so that you know exactly what you're pointing at.

Have plenty of glow plugs handy, 5 or 6 should do to start. During the break-in period you may use a couple of them, and once you complete the break-in, you should install a new plug. A quart of fuel will only be enough to get you through break-in, bite the bullet and buy a gallon to start. IMO you should start with whatever the manufacturer recommends until you get the engine running properly, then, if you want to switch to something else, you can, just know that there are some things to watch out for if you switch fuels.

That's about all I can think of at the moment. If you have other questions, post away. Have fun with your new R/C.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

jjacobsn
Approved Member

Post by jjacobsn » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:55 pm

Nitro is an absolute blast, but you need to do things right and not rush it. If you properly break in your engine and use after run oil, you'll have a great time. Nothing beats the sound and smell of Nitro. Here are my tips:

Make sure your needle settings are very rich. Check Manufacturer recommendations. BOth mine worked well starting with the needle at 3 turns out.

When first starting the engine, you will notice there is a lot of compression(i.e. hard to turnover the engine), loosen the glow plug ever so slightly when starting it.

Plug the pipe with your finger, and without the igniter on the engine turn it over a few times until you see fuel entire the carb through the fuel line.

Start it up. I like to more or less idle through 2 tanks.. i.e. give it very little throttle and kind of coast around. I even sit it on blocks for a little to get it warmed up.

Then with tanks 3 & 4 start to give it a full range of throttle, but never leave it wide open for any prolonged amount of time. During tank for I close the needle by about 1/8 of a turn.

During tanks 5 & 6 I start to close the needle 1/8 of turn at a time to start to get a little more speed, but still err to the rich side. Again I do not leave the throttle open for very long.

Then during 7 & 8 I start to tune it for speed and power. Like Halgar said use a temp gauge to keep the engine in the safe operating temp zone.

Once you get through this break in, enjoy the rush of Nitro.

One other tip... to shut it down, pinch the fuel line, plug the exhaust pipe with a rag or something (not your hand b/c it could be hot), or stop the flywheel with your shoe.

one eye dog

nitro

Post by one eye dog » Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:52 am

Hey thanks guys, the nitro rig i am giting is used,and is a savage. rig so i see a bunch of hopup parts fore it,now do i call it a motor or a engine ? but it is broken in , so wheen i git it i will lyk how it is doing,thanks fore all the help ryan. :wink:

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:28 am

Electrics have motors, nitros have engines.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

RcK cRwLr

Post by RcK cRwLr » Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:55 pm

1 thing I found with savages is make sure you know which one it is I heard that the diffs go quite fast on the savage 25 ,upgrade to the 4 gear diff if at all possible . and if you are handy with modding servo placment you should do the mod , to put the tank up front and tuck the throttle servo inside the chasis plates
ihaveabruiser wrote: As far as all non crawler builds go, they go in chit chat, this is RCCrawler not clod talk :flipoff: :flipoff: :lol: :lol:
MIke
http://www.GSRCRC.com
r(k (rw1r

NCNitro
Approved Member

Post by NCNitro » Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:00 pm

The early Savage diffs were a nightmare. On the tenth tank I grenaded my first one with the stock S-25. You can see in the pic only the front one is working...

There are a few things you want to do right away if it is used.

Make sure it has a clean fuel filter, and clean air filter.

Upgrade both diffs to 4 spider diffs if it is not already done, and you will most likely want to replace the diff cups if it had only two spider gears. The pin will easily twist inside the case and gauge out ruts inside the plastic cups. Then fill them with the diff fluid of your choice.

Go over the entire truck well, make sure all the nuts and bolts are tight. Replace any bad ones you find at the time.

If it does not have a cam type servo saver steering setup, that is another good choice to do asap. It will greatly improve steering response and handling. The stocks hpi servo saver is junk.

Another exellent upgrade is the throttle/brake linkage mod. A lot of people like the ofna mod, but I came up with my own. I thought it looked a lot cleaner, and performed great...

Don't run cheap fuel, I prefer Odonnel 20%, or Trinity Monster is good too.

Buy a temp gun, this will save you a ton of guessing while learning to tune.

Get a failsafe as soon as possible as well as a 5 cell receiver pack.

Other than those few things Savages are awesome! I have beat the snot out of mine for two years and havent broken a thing! It's not a real good racer but as a basher I dont think there is a more durable truck out of the box on the market.