thinkin of gettin a nitro

Talk about glow, gas, and nitro engines, tuning, and fuels here.
kyled123
Approved Member

thinkin of gettin a nitro

Post by kyled123 » Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:06 am

just put 85 bux new esc in my truck and i need another new radio the one it has only got used a few time traxxas tq2 and reciever. im prolly gunna sell my truck and get a nitro. i drove an npede once and have liked nitros ever since i need somethin tuff cause i dont have money for a bunch of parts. somethin cheap (used) i want a monster truck but limited budget. im done with electrics i think. any help is apreciated.
Last edited by kyled123 on Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stock clod rc10t AND NOW a rc10GT nitro love that smell

brushlesspede

Post by brushlesspede » Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:55 pm

Here is a good tip to owning a nitro...I don't care how tuff you think it is you will break it :lol: Good luck with nitro and don't get discouraged the first time is doesn't run right..just take the time to learn how to tune it
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

RcK cRwLr

Post by RcK cRwLr » Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:02 pm

Good point Brushless and as for a cheap nitro your kinda limitited to 2wd rtr's do you wanna build it or you want a RTR. WHat is your budget ? I think a couple of us here work in a hobby shop might be able to help you . :D
ihaveabruiser wrote: As far as all non crawler builds go, they go in chit chat, this is RCCrawler not clod talk :flipoff: :flipoff: :lol: :lol:
MIke
http://www.GSRCRC.com
r(k (rw1r

NCNitro
Approved Member

Post by NCNitro » Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:24 pm

I have been in to nitros for quite a few years now, my Clod is actually my first electric. Nitro can be very frustrating at times. They need to be tuned each time you use them, they require a lot of maintenece and care especially to the mill. You need to take the time to properly break the mill in or it won't last very long at all. The fuel I use is about $25 a gallon, nitro is by no means cheap. I love them and if you take the time, learn to properly tune and maintain a nitro car or truck you will have a ton of fun with them. There is nothing like the sound and smell of a nitro engine screaming at 35,000 rpms!

kyled123
Approved Member

Post by kyled123 » Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:48 pm

yea . thanks guys. umm my budget is like almost nothing lol at the moment. im good with carbs and 2 stroke engines. ( i have 2 mopeds neither ran when i got them) 1 sat in a garage for 5 years with half a carb on it it took weeks to get it runnin but i put 100s of miles of it then cluth locked up my fault i hit jumps with it and did big burnout and wheelies lol. but i love the sound and raw power of nitro smells good to. i remeber drivin that npede like it was yesterday. my neighboors are cool too sound noise aint a worryy cept for one or 2 but i dont care bout them cause they are fake people that put faces on and think there better than me so whatever lol. but keep help comin guy even tho ive torn down engines tookin pistons off all engines are different.

kyled123
Approved Member

Post by kyled123 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:03 pm

ok. a friend of mine had a rc10gt he said i should get one. looks nice to me good first nitro you think? bout same size as my rc10t so sounds nice. really want a big 4wd like a maxx or savage or somethin like that but unless i find an awesome deal. what do you guys think? thanks

RcK cRwLr

Post by RcK cRwLr » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:53 pm

Well the rc10gt is a cool truck but get ready to go through alot of tires if u are gonna drive alot on pavement . and it does wheelies like crazy its fast ifthats what you want but its notyhing like a 4wd truck my buddy has one all done up with hg or gh aluminum with a collari .15 i think i forget its been so long since he drove it maybe look into a hpi mt2 its 4wd and a rotor start hope this helps :wink:
ihaveabruiser wrote: As far as all non crawler builds go, they go in chit chat, this is RCCrawler not clod talk :flipoff: :flipoff: :lol: :lol:
MIke
http://www.GSRCRC.com
r(k (rw1r

kyled123
Approved Member

Post by kyled123 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:09 pm

thankx rock. ok i live on gravel road so tires should last a lil while definately helps. keep t comin lol.

kyled123
Approved Member

Post by kyled123 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:14 pm

well after a break in the rc action for what must have been at least 8 months i got my clod going and am definately lookin to get a rc10gt now.. time is a great teacher.. i was looking at gts on ebay and sent a link to the auction on one to my father and he bought it.. so now i really got to get one and show him he cant drive lol.

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:00 am

If you want cheap and easy to use, stick with electrics. Nitro is messy, expensive, time consuming, and labor intensive to keep running.

Fuel runs around $30 a gallon, and you only get MAYBE 5 gallons before you're replacing the engine. You've got to clean up and do after run maintenance every time you run one, retuning for every run, fiddling to keep it running, fighting a myriad of issues for why it's NOT running ...

With electrics, you'll get far more run time out of $30 in batteries than you ever will with $30 in nitro fuel. You don't have to clean up an electric after a run unless you've been playing in lots of dirt or water/mud. You don't have to retune the vehicle every time you take it out, you just plug in the battery and go! Short of breaking something or charging a battery, you don't have down times or delays during an outing. IMHO, electrics are just a far simpler platform with fewer hassles and headaches.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

brushlesspede

Post by brushlesspede » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:08 am

Halgar wrote:If you want cheap and easy to use, stick with electrics. Nitro is messy, expensive, time consuming, and labor intensive to keep running.

Fuel runs around $30 a gallon, and you only get MAYBE 5 gallons before you're replacing the engine. You've got to clean up and do after run maintenance every time you run one, retuning for every run, fiddling to keep it running, fighting a myriad of issues for why it's NOT running ...
Electrics are cheap? I have spent a lot more on electrics than nitro. Nitros do have to be maintained a little more than electric but not much.

I do have to pay $30.00 a gallon but your statement of maybe 5 gallons from an engine is for those than don't know how to tune are run their engine at it's limit.

I tuned my current engine after break in and haven't touched a screw in a half gallon or running, and it's a cheap $125.00 engine...Axial .28 It starts and runs good every time. My sons 2.5 Maxx is on it's 6th gallon and still runs very good...it's very rare that I have to adjust the needles. I will say that neither of these trucks are used for racing they are for bashing so I don't run them to the point of overheating like you might do with a truck used for racing.

You have to have the patience to learn how to tune it. Like I said in my first post........don't get discouraged the first time is doesn't run right, just take the time to learn how to tune it
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

NCNitro
Approved Member

Post by NCNitro » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:34 pm

I agree with brushless, if properly broken in, tuned and maintained a nitro engine can and will last more than 5 gallons. I still have the original stock engine in my HPI RS4 3 that is about 6+ years old and will still fire up in three pulls. Yes they are messier due to unburnt oil and fuel coming out the exhaust, so they do require a bit of cleaning and maintenece after running them. But given the choice (other than for a crawler) I would choose a nitro rig any day!

132NHAF
Administrator

Post by 132NHAF » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:28 pm

My first truck getting back into Nitro was an HPI RS4 MT Racer. I love the thing. I kept the modded motor to a minimum and after three gallons it runs like new (the huge O'Donnell head might have something to do with it). I then built two Clods for the kids and then I bought a Maxx from a friend. Recently I bought a Mini-T and here is where my advice comes in.

Stick with Four-Wheel-Drive. The Mini-T is a pain to drive on any loose surface. I know that most of this is just getting used to driving the two-wheel-drive, but along with the power, smell and speed of Nitro, I love being able to power through corners without having the front end push out.

Just my $.02
Scott T

Stickers...Get your ClodTalk stickers here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25953

It's not WHAT toys you play with, but that you play with toys at all that is important.

kyled123
Approved Member

Post by kyled123 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:38 pm

thanks for all the advice guys.. i know what i want my first nitro is gunna probably be a rc10gt no reason jusst want one.. and i agree tuning will be hard but it takes time.. so im not worried i just wanna get in on the action.. thanks again guys