plane motor vs truck motors

Talk about glow, gas, and nitro engines, tuning, and fuels here.
wheeler

plane motor vs truck motors

Post by wheeler » Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:45 pm

what is the diffence between the 2 types of engines? i was looking at build a truck the plane engine was cheaper but i wasn't sure if i can use it in a truck. will it work with a truck transmission?

fatboyslim
Approved Member

Post by fatboyslim » Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:46 am

AFAIK the only differences between car and plane engines are that plane engines don't have as good bearings on the crankshaft as there's no sideways forces exerted on a plane crank and plane engines don't normally have big heatsink heads as they operate in a continual cooling flow of air
There may be other differences but other than those I don't know

TIER
Approved Member

Post by TIER » Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:14 pm

plane motors dont produce near the power or rpm of car ones. you can expect a good 2 hp at 30,000 rpm and a top rpm of close to 50,000 out of your normal .25 truck engine.. as where a .25 plane motor might hit about .8 hp at 16,000 rpm wiht a top rpm of about 23,000 rpm.

plane motors also arent built to hand the constant throttle up and downs that car and truck motos do.. they wil get very hot very fast. stick wiht a motor thats built for the purpose you want.
Maybe im crazy
Maybe your crazy
Maybe we're crazy
Probably

highsteragain

Post by highsteragain » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:29 pm

I have found that a plane motor just doesn't hold up in a truck. I never had the power that I thought it would, and it was terrible to try to cool.