Ouch!

Talk about glow, gas, and nitro engines, tuning, and fuels here.
Sypher
Approved Member

Ouch!

Post by Sypher » Thu May 05, 2005 11:29 pm

How do you all stop your nitros without burning your finger on the pipe?
"O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

132NHAF
Administrator

Post by 132NHAF » Thu May 05, 2005 11:42 pm

You can also pinch the fuel tube just before the carb. Although this is acceptable, I'd rather burn my finger than run the engine that lean, even for a few seconds. You can always keep a rag in your pocket. Although it is a little porous, it will do the trick without burning your finger.

A little hint: If you pinch the fuel tube, be prepared for a quick increase in power just before the engine dies. This is because the air mixture is much leaner just before stalling because you are blocking off fuel, but not air.
Scott T

Stickers...Get your ClodTalk stickers here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25953

It's not WHAT toys you play with, but that you play with toys at all that is important.

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Fri May 06, 2005 1:12 am

My favored method was to install an exhaust deflector, which is silicone, and when I actually HAD to kill the maxx, I'd just pinch the deflector (most of the time it died on it's own! LOL ). The back pressure build-up will choke the engine faster and more safely than pinching the fuel line. Also, with the body in place, you can't really get to the fuel line, so that make the pinched exhaust even more enticing. When I had the stock bake-o-lite pipe on maxx, I could just tap the stinger a few times with a finger, but when I went to an aluminum pipe, no can do! LOL

BTW it's one of these if you weren't aware:

And Tower has hundreds of them, ok, maybe not hundreds, but almost everyone makes them so...

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WT ... search3=Go
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Sypher
Approved Member

Post by Sypher » Fri May 06, 2005 2:07 am

Thanks guys. The nitro bug has grabbed hold and wont let go. I have had my Monster Pirate out more then my clod lately. :shock: :shock:
"O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

Suprachrgd82
Approved Member

Post by Suprachrgd82 » Fri May 06, 2005 4:22 pm

I slobber on a finger and blow on it until it's cool. Then I plug the stinger. This gives just enough time before the heat transfers from the pipe to my finger and burns. If the air filter is accessible, I'll pop it off and plug the carb.

NCNitro
Approved Member

Post by NCNitro » Fri May 06, 2005 4:31 pm

I use the same deflector Halgar posted on my Maxx and my Savage SS, just cover it up and it shuts right off. I would much rather do that than lean the engine out every time I shut of my mills. HPI just came out with a new engine stop for the Savage though that looks real nice, it applies light pressure to the flywheel shutting the engine off. I saw one at the HPI Challenge and it worked great, no leaning or flooding.

damian

Post by damian » Fri May 06, 2005 4:39 pm

with my revo, i put my finger on the flywheel. :D
Decepticons Attack

Sypher
Approved Member

Post by Sypher » Fri May 06, 2005 10:41 pm

Well, I did it again. This time it got me good. My hands were dirty from working on my moms old car and it burnt two clean rings on my index and middle finger, though it didnt phase me till after I got it stopped(I had a run away, luckily in a circle).

:lol:

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Sat May 07, 2005 4:30 am

Either get the diverters or a shotgun. Both will effectively shut the engine down without burning your fingers! LOL :wink: :lol:
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

132NHAF
Administrator

Post by 132NHAF » Sat May 07, 2005 2:06 pm

Sypher wrote: though it didnt phase me till after I got it stopped(I had a run away, luckily in a circle).

If you don't get a fail safe on that thing, stopping the engine with your finger on the pipe will be the least of your worries. :shock:
Scott T

It's not WHAT toys you play with, but that you play with toys at all that is important.

brushlesspede

Post by brushlesspede » Sat May 07, 2005 2:48 pm

132NHAF wrote:
Sypher wrote: though it didnt phase me till after I got it stopped(I had a run away, luckily in a circle).

If you don't get a fail safe on that thing, stopping the engine with your finger on the pipe will be the least of your worries. :shock:
My first Maxx did a run away staight into 3 feet of water :shock: Fail safe for sure!
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Sypher
Approved Member

Post by Sypher » Sat May 07, 2005 3:42 pm

I have a failsafe and it works good but that doesnt matter when the battery that powers the electronics goes dead in the truck. :lol:

brushlesspede

Post by brushlesspede » Sat May 07, 2005 6:50 pm

Sypher wrote:I have a failsafe and it works good but that doesnt matter when the battery that powers the electronics goes dead in the truck. :lol:
I don't think it's working right, It should detect when the batts get low and stop the truck.
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

132NHAF
Administrator

Post by 132NHAF » Sat May 07, 2005 9:07 pm

Yeah, it definitely should have failed long before that happened. Try checking it again. Maybe you need to go through the setup process again. By the way, you said it went in circles, this may be a dumb question, but did you have it hooked up to the steering servo by mistake?
Scott T

Sypher
Approved Member

Post by Sypher » Sat May 07, 2005 10:31 pm

Hmmm, Ill look into it.

Thanks guys.