Bad Fuel?

Talk about glow, gas, and nitro engines, tuning, and fuels here.
Chewie

Bad Fuel?

Post by Chewie » Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:41 pm

I have a can of Nitro fuel that's a year or so old. I keep it out in a non-heated building on a wood shelf. How long should it stay good?

I've been having trouble starting my nitro, and I'm going through the troubleshooting process. Just doesn't seem to want to fire up, so I thought maybe the fuel is bad.

Thoughts???

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:08 pm

Whenever you're having start problems, it's good to use fresh fuel. Once you get the engine to start and run reliable, you can either mix the old fuel half and half with new, or use it as parts cleaner.

I had a similar problem with Wildcat fuel in my T-Maxx. Fuel that was 1 year old ran the same as fresh. Turns out, Traxxas engines don't like Wildcat. When I switched to either Traxxas Top or Blue Thunder, all my fuel problems went away, then came all the air leaks and just plain finicky POS engine.

But, that's a whole other rant! LOL :lol: :lol:
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

tmaxxmatt75
Approved Member

Post by tmaxxmatt75 » Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:35 am

You had problems with wildcat fuel hagar? Man I loved their 20%. My trx .15 ran great on it. I even ran it in my picco .15 for awhile, untill the not so local hobby shop quit carrying it. I run byron's 20% now.

Oh, back on topic....
Yeah, I'd try new fuel. It probably still sucked a bunch of moisture in.
Are you gonna bark all day little doggy, or are you gonna bite?

132NHAF
Administrator

Post by 132NHAF » Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:46 am

Go with new fuel. Even if it didn't suck in too much moisture (and I'm sure it did) the nitro will have evaporated enough to mess with the content and make it oil-rich.
Scott T

Stickers...Get your ClodTalk stickers here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25953

It's not WHAT toys you play with, but that you play with toys at all that is important.

Chewie

Post by Chewie » Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:09 pm

Thanks guys. Sounds like a safe bet to go ahead and get some new fuel. (Already replaced the glow plug).

Good hint about parts cleaner, I just hate tossing stuff out when there is a good use for it.

ZakeriD
Approved Member

Post by ZakeriD » Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:43 pm

you should try to store the fuel in a room with a stable temp. I have stored fuel for over a year without probs. The metal can is the best container, but I think that the temps changes created yout prob.

Chewie

Post by Chewie » Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:04 pm

Good point about temp, I'd guess that if moisture content is an issue a varied temp is not good. Not that it gets too cold here, but the summer swings are pretty large. Still haven't had time to fire it up with work and all :( , but I did pick up some fuel at the LHS.