Looking for assistance

Discuss all the facets of R/C electronics here.
Dmart76

Looking for assistance

Post by Dmart76 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:31 am

Just joined the forum a couple days ago... I was recently reunited with my clod that I've had since 1989. It is stock from the box. I need to bring it back to life in a bad way! Need a new remote, as I have a futaba magnum jr that is as old as the truck. Thinking of an engine upgrade as well. Anyone have any thoughts?? Here's a pic... hopefully it comes through okay.

andymac0035
Administrator

Re: Looking for assistance

Post by andymac0035 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:37 am

Your pics didn't make it... :(

I would say though, the simplest way to give it some scoot would be a voltage upgrade. The stock motors can take a lot more than the 6-cell 7.2v nickel batteries that they ran on way back in the day. Upgrading to an electronic speed controller, and a 3-cell lithium polymer (lipo) battery will about double your power and speed. You will need a new charger for using lipo batteries.

A simple cheap 2.4ghz radio will solve your other problem. I'm assuming you want basic. I've been using the ones that come from traxxas, but lately I've been trying the one's made by "tactic" and I'm pretty happy with those as well.

Dmart76

Post by Dmart76 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:26 pm

Thank you for the response! That's a great place to start! Not sure what's up with the pic :?: I'll try again. As far as the remote, how many channels? I thought read somewhere a 3 channel for the clod because of the rear steering. Is that right?

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:39 pm

You said you were box-stock, so you only need a 2 channel. If your plans include axle-mounted steering.. AND... you plan to keep your rear-steer, then yes, you'd need at least a 3-channel most of the time. Many radio's have dual channel-one inputs however, so if your clever, you still can just use a 2-channel. My mod-clod has front and rear servo's, but the steering linkage is different front vs rear, so I get away with a 2-channel. Many people just lock the rear steering out and mount a single steering servo up front.