Does battery brand really matter?

Discuss all the facets of R/C electronics here.
Awesome Kong84
Approved Member

Does battery brand really matter?

Post by Awesome Kong84 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:21 pm

Ok so I have been doing a lot of shopping around. Bare with me here since I am very new to LiPo batteries. I see so many brands and prices out there. I'll be running 2s maybe 3s from time to time w/ at least a 5000mAh and a 25c rating through a SV3 3800kV in my CPE Barbarian I've been told by some at my local hobby shop stay away from some of the stuff you can find on Hobby King, SMC, SKYrc, etc. Stick w/ name brand like Traxxas, Durtrax, Associated, etc. There is a night and day difference in regards to prices. I'm really uncertain as to what I should do? Break the bank on a named brand battery or buy one from some of these unknowns?

darat76
Approved Member

Re: Does battery brand really matter?

Post by darat76 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:24 am

most electrical items, be it a tv, stereo, or battery, are made in the same place for the different brands, each brand has a spec and quality level they expect their items to be before they will apply their name to the items.

I have a pair of turnigy nano tech 5800 mah 30c, 60c burst 2s hard case lipos that I brought to race my sct with, I have brought an RC concepts 4500 mah 100c 2s hard case shorty lipo for it as well and what I have found is there is very little difference, both are high C ratings, both are in the higher mah scale, but at the end of the day, I get the exact same lap times out of both batteries.

capacity and discharge rates aside, the next big killer of lipos is the life span, all lipos start to build up internal resistance, meaning it charges slower, to a lower capacity, and discharges at a lower rate.

The particular battery I brought is this one: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=17272
I have seen many of the racers both on and off road using these batteries of differing capacities in all the different classes, so they really do work, and have a really good price point.

One thing to keep in mind about any hobby shop, they are going to try to steer you into buying what they have in stock that they think is in the ball park of what you are looking for, where as the shops that specialize in race kits, parts, and electrics may not be able to give you information directly related to monster trucks, but they can give you good sound advice on what you should look at based on their experience, and your budget (provided you don't low ball on the budget).

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:44 am

^^^ Well said.

Racers are usually the pickiest about batteries, especially is spec classes like 17.5 where motors are limited and every edge really matters.
I race in one of those classes. My 80C 6000 mah SPC lipo's make a huge difference, even now with age on them. I debated heavily buying these, as I could have bought 4 of the 50C 5000mah packs for the price of the 2 80C 6000 mah packs that I bought ($60 vs $30 at the time). I decided that over the long haul the higher rated pack would be better as by the time it got tired, it would be like having the 50C packs.... after getting all that great power from it when it was new.

There's really only one brand I dislike, and that's venom, due entirely to having 2 go bad and also just weak performance.

The hobbyking and hobbypartz lipo's are a good value, if you like the price go for it.

Me personally, I plan to stick with SPC and SMC. I see way too many repeat buyers at the track. :wink:

Awesome Kong84
Approved Member

Post by Awesome Kong84 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:13 pm

Are there any major difference in having a ROAR Approved pack?

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:31 pm

ROAR approved doesn't really matter unless you are racing at a ROAR sanctioned event.

What particular brand of lipo are you finding that you are wanting to buy?
...but hesitant due to your hobby shop saying bad things about.

Of the brands you listed in post #1.... me personally.... I would go with SMC.

Awesome Kong84
Approved Member

Post by Awesome Kong84 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:42 pm

andymac0035 wrote:ROAR approved doesn't really matter unless you are racing at a ROAR sanctioned event.

What particular brand of lipo are you finding that you are wanting to buy?
...but hesitant due to your hobby shop saying bad things about.

Of the brands you listed in post #1.... me personally.... I would go with SMC.
I was leaning heavily towards Turnigy and the SMC packs. But after your suggestion about the SPC packs I am leaning more towards them. For the price and pack ratings they are the best I have seen. Plus they already come w/ the Deans connectors which is one less thing I would need to do w/ my build. Sure it takes a few seconds to hit it w/ solder but I just would rather plug and play.

I'll probably buy 2 of these at first... http://spcracingbatteries.com/index.php ... uct_id=102 and hold off to buy something w/ higher ratings later