Need advice for old electronics

Discuss all the facets of R/C electronics here.
wahrsuul

Need advice for old electronics

Post by wahrsuul » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:05 pm

Ok, so here's my situation. All I have is old electronics - a few receiver/ESC combos, old ESCs, and pretty much everything to use/charge old NiCDs. I don't plan on doing any real racing, other than in my own yard with the grands. This will be for my Clods as well as my buggies and truggies.

So, if I want to spend as little as possible on new stuff, what are my options? Should I just go with NiMh batteries and continue on? Or would I get some advantage of trying to go LiPo? I'm guessing I need a new charger at a minimum. I use brushed motors, and honestly from what I'm reading, I don't see a need to go brushless, I don't need the speed/power, I'm dangerous enough as is. If I go LiPo, how much are LVAs, how difficult are they to install and where would I get them? How long do they take to charge vs NiMh or NiCd? You know how impatient kids can be, so I'd like to be able to charge fairly quickly. Also there's the cost of the batteries and run time. Since all my old stuff only ran 4-6 minutes at a time, heat wasn't much of an issue, so that's also a consideration.

132NHAF
Administrator

Re: Need advice for old electronics

Post by 132NHAF » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:10 pm

I say stick with the standard batteries. No reason to go Lipo is you're not looking for speed. Just my opinion, but I'm sure you will hear others.
Scott T

Stickers...Get your ClodTalk stickers here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25953

It's not WHAT toys you play with, but that you play with toys at all that is important.

HoosierClod

Post by HoosierClod » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:33 am

I'm fairly new to LiPo batteries myself. If you're not after faster speeds then 2S LiPo will be comparable to the old 7.2 packs you're used to with the benefit of higher mAh capacity and longer run times.

I'm running an old Novak Super Rooster ESC in my Clod with 55 turn motors and 3S LiPo batteries. I bought a Venom Low Voltage Alarm that was around $10 and it simply plugs into the balance plug on the pack. It displays the total pack voltage as well as each individual cell voltage and sounds a loud beep when the pack reaches the set point which is adjustable to whatever voltage you set it for.
Adam

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:46 am

HoosierClod wrote:I'm fairly new to LiPo batteries myself. If you're not after faster speeds then 2S LiPo will be comparable to the old 7.2 packs you're used to with the benefit of higher mAh capacity and longer run times.

I'm running an old Novak Super Rooster ESC in my Clod with 55 turn motors and 3S LiPo batteries. I bought a Venom Low Voltage Alarm that was around $10 and it simply plugs into the balance plug on the pack. It displays the total pack voltage as well as each individual cell voltage and sounds a loud beep when the pack reaches the set point which is adjustable to whatever voltage you set it for.

Totally agree! Longer runs times is what we all want and NiMh or NiCDs will not compare to even a single 2s lipo. That is all I run in my Clods with low voltage alarms as well.
Jeff

VMX12Rider

Post by VMX12Rider » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:07 am

Honestly, and this is just my 2 cents; if you just want to bash in the back yard... I like NiMH batteries. I know Lipos are mind bendingly higher performance and crazy long runtime. But NIMH 3000+ are still head and shoulders above any NiCDs you may have kicking around. And they are all over eBay and Amazon for less than $20 a piece... My old LunchBox has a 19x2 orion in it and with an old school NiCD pack in it, 1700 MaH, It would run for 7-10 minutes. I picked up cheap 3000 MaH from radioshack back in the day and that bugger would run for 20+ minutes, WoT all over the place. I just picked up one of these

http://www.amazon.com/Morpilot®-Univers ... ot+charger

Charges the 4 and 6 cell NiMH's I got like a champ for under $20 bucks. I even use it to charge one of my Cordless Screwdrivers. I got 20 year old 4.8 volt Makita that the NiCD's died in. I threw 4, 6000 MaH NiMH in it and she goes something fierce now. Lipos ARE Better... NiMH are way WAAAY Cheaper and waaaay more plug and play for all the NiCD electronics you have now. You don't need to worry about thermal monitoring or any of that.

PS: The Link isn't showing, but the amazon addy is correct if you Cut and Paste

wolfden57

Post by wolfden57 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:33 pm

I run 3000 + nimh batteries as well and for me It works. The clod usually has 5000 packs at least my latest clod.

mrgrimm
Approved Member

Post by mrgrimm » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:07 am

I run all 3, Lipo, Nimh, and Nicd...The old Nicd packs don't last very long though, they are approaching 20 years old !!!! Kind of depends on what mood I'm in and what kind of driving I am doing.

Lipos are way better because of all the obvious already mentioned reasons, but also they are very light! I have a small 3000mah lipo that is killer in my Clod and it handles and jumps great with it. Perfect for short bash sessions when speed is my need or for in the snow/mud where the extra wheel speed keeps it from getting stuck.

Here are some examples of things that can be had if you do decide to go lipo. Charge times are comparable to just a tad lpnnger than nimh, but really depepnds on how many amps you are charging at and capacity of the pack! These suggestions are all budget minded but not bottom of the barrel.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... arger.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... _Pack.html

Monster trucks rule :)

wahrsuul

Post by wahrsuul » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:50 pm

I'm kind of leaning to the NiMh just because it's more familiar, but I do have another question - 2S LiPo may give me around the same performance, but is it about the same size? How would I mount it in a Monster Beetle? Or my time capsule Clod? Am I going to have to make new mounts, or go with Velcro? Just another consideration.

Also, I read where LiPo lose capacity just sitting. I know they warn about buying cheap laptop batteries online - they may still be sealed in the OEM packaging, but they lose capacity just being on the shelf. Many of these batteries have been sitting in a warehouse for a few years and may be at half capacity. I've also read where storing them with half charge in a fridge/freezer helps minimize the charge loss. I have a mini fridge I could use for this, but then I'd have to remember to partially charge them when I'm done. Nothing particularly hard, but just more considerations.

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:59 pm

I know it's not exactly what others have said do far, but I found when switching from nimh to lipo I got a lot more power as well as longer run time.

The easiest way to ensure that lipo packs fit, especially in old Tamiyas is to buy 'stick packs'. They are the same dimensions as the traditional stick packs. Check these;

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... Pack_.html

I have also personally used these in my Clod;

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... OVED_.html

I have also fitted a Zippy 7600mah pack in a Clod by removing the battery spacers and doing a little grinding.

As for storage, I store mine in the fridge in the shed whether they are fully, partially charged or empty. I probably shouldn't but I haven't had any issues as yet. I think if you research it, you shouldn't leave nimh or nicad batteries unchanged either.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:01 am

Storing fully charged lipo's or leaving them stored in warm places are where the loss of life expectancy comes from.
Storing in the fridge is a good thing, just try to not store them fully charged.

wahrsuul

Post by wahrsuul » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:58 am

Another question: would my old NiCD charger work with NiMH? If I have to buy a new charger as well as batteries, I might as well go to LiPO, thought I'll probably keep it down to the 2c level.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:19 pm

It will charge them, but with no peak detection, you'd have to manually shut it off when the NiMh battery started getting warm.
Better off to just get a new charger, and might as well get one that does LiPo at that point.