Most popular connector

Discuss all the facets of R/C electronics here.
RC MT John
Approved Member

Most popular connector

Post by RC MT John » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:48 am

Hi Guys,
New to the forum and just getting back into the hobby although I kept most of my Tamiya TXTs and other trucks. My question is ,what is the most popular type of battery connector. I always used anderson powerpoles but wonder if theres something more common I should use. I see chinese made deans style cheap but dont know if they are any good.
Thanks for any help.

87lc2
Approved Member

Re: Most popular connector

Post by 87lc2 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:03 am

Cant really give an opinion on different style connectors, but I run Deans in everything and have had zero issues ever. I run 1/8 scale systems in most of my trucks on 3-4S and never any issues with connections.

Have no experience with the Chinese stuff, but why even bother? Genuine Deans connectors are cheap and you are guaranteed to have no issues.

RC MT John
Approved Member

Post by RC MT John » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:40 am

I have been leaning towards deans although Ive never had a problem with the powerpole type. I just get tired of buying used stuff and then have to solder new connections just to use it. Maybe I should make up some adapter plugs. Thanks for the reply.

mavrick0
Approved Member

Post by mavrick0 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:04 am

I've used deans since they came out and haven't looked back. The powerpoles were nice in their day but I found that over time the spring tension would weaken and cause arcing which then damaged the connectors over time, not to mention they are a tad bulky too. If you do go with deans stay with genuine. The Chinese knockoffs are garbage and not worth it. The plastic melts easier, the springs fall out, or in worse case they drop down and when you plug them in and not notice the bend and cause a dead short which makes a bit of a spark show specially with a lipo.
A off roader may be able to jump and run around a track. A on roader may be able to run circles around the road but a monster truck will run over anything and everyone.

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:55 am

I use Deans too. I used them 20 odd years ago, so just used them again when I got back into the hobby. I didn't even consider anything else.

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:11 pm

I use Deans as well. Not the knock offs. The plastic used on the imitations melts as soon as you apply heat from the soldering gun and the spades will slide out.
Jeff

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:17 pm

I use traxxas connectors on everything. Although I'm not crazy about the new "ID" ones they just came out with. However the originals are everywhere, and even the knock-off's are good, sometimes I think they are actually better.

6x6_BigDollars

Post by 6x6_BigDollars » Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:30 pm

i use the ander son power poles on everything even when i charge the battery but

when i plug in to the battery in to the truck i use the 4mm male end.
Message from clodtalk admin:
Jim, aka 6x6_BigDollars, has eye problems, he can't see the screen very well.
He writes in caps so HE can see what he's typing, he's not mad/shouting.
In PM's, it's helpfull if you change your font-size to "huge".

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:21 pm

andymac0035 wrote:I use traxxas connectors on everything. Although I'm not crazy about the new "ID" ones they just came out with. However the originals are everywhere, and even the knock-off's are good, sometimes I think they are actually better.
+1

Justinswraps
Business Member

Post by Justinswraps » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:58 pm

I use to swear by deans until I started buying stuff from Andy who had traxxas plugs on everything. Got tir d of switching them to deans so I guess you could say Andy converted me to Traxxas. I won't use anything else now.
Jugg1~Diablo

Check out Justin's wraps, for all your body wrapping needs!
https://www.facebook.com/JustinsWraps/

xDezor
Approved Member

Post by xDezor » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:00 am

I use traxxas, but I'm not a big fan of the new iD connectors.
Rob

abailey21
Approved Member

Post by abailey21 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:20 am

I've used Dean's since the 80's, recently with an E-Revo purchase I've been using TRX on that. But Deans on bashers and Bullet's on racers and TRX on TRX lol

RC MT John
Approved Member

Post by RC MT John » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:03 am

Thanks for all the input guys. I just bought another used truck with deans connectors so Ive decided Im going to go with the Deans for now. (Only the official W.S.Deans ,no knockoffs)