New Clod Buster, lots of electrical parts questions!

Discuss all the facets of R/C electronics here.
xDezor
Approved Member

New Clod Buster, lots of electrical parts questions!

Post by xDezor » Tue May 26, 2015 4:03 am

*Wasn't sure if this is the right section of the forum, please move it if necessary*

Hiya forum,

After spending a decade without an RC car, I've finally decided to get back into the hobby. Last weekend I visited a hobby shop for the first time since I sold my Terra Crusher in '05 (I was in the neighborhood and it was my birthday so..) The experience was amazing, and now I want an RC car. Fast forward a couple of days and I found myself ordering a new Super Clod Buster from Tower Hobbies (I'm glad that site is still there). As a kid I always thought Clod Busters were goofy looking, but now it kind of reminds me of the old Terra Crusher, in a ridiculous, awesome sort of way.

While I wait for delivery, I'm trying to narrow down all of the parts I need to order. I am starting from scratch - I don't have any RC stuff anymore - not even a charger or hex wrenches. Also, my Terra Crusher was gas powered - the electric world of RC is fairly new to me. So, please help me decide what to purchase. :) p.s. If you have any recommendations for tools I'll need/want for this hobby, lemme know!

The Clod Buster will be kept in a fairly stock form for the time being. If I ever decide to get crazy later down the line it would be with a CPE-FLASHBACK chassis and 4-Link suspension, but I'm planning on staying with brushed motors. This vehicle will be for bashing around in my back yard, no racing (or inside if it's slow enough...). Speed wise, I read the sticky topic about Clod powertrain upgrades and the absolute maximum speed I'd ever want to go would be something like the stock motor and 3s lipo battery (I live in the city, my backyard isn't that big). I would like to see it bounce up into a wheelie or jump something though. Money isn't that big of a concern for this build, but it's always good to make wise decisions.

Here's what I'm thinking to start with: (Please add your thoughts!)
  • Motors: Stock Motors - Until they burn up, then I'll probably switch over to the Titan's from an E-Revo. I've read that the stock wiring might not be the best? Should I replace it? What should I replace it with? Also, should I add some capacitors to the motor like the EVX-2 guide suggests? That reminds me, I'll need to order that soldering iron I've been meaning to get.
  • ECS: Traxxas EVX-2 3019R - Built in LVD. Traxxas site has it listed as $180, Towerhobbies $110, Ebay sellers have it for ~$70 from torn down new trucks. Think the eBay ones are okay? I'll have to buy a jumper as well since I plan on running a single battery pack.
  • BEC - I believe the EVX-2 has an onboard BEC, correct? Do you think that's adequate to power two steering servos? I think it will, I'm just not sure.
  • Battery: Not sure - All of my reading leads me to believe that I want either a single 3s or 2s LiPo battery pack. Not sure of the mAh I should get. I honestly probably won't run this truck more than 30 minutes at a time. Is it a bad idea to run a stock truck on a 3 cell LiPo? Will I just be asking for trouble? I suppose if it's too fast I could switch the ESC into "beginner mode" or whatever it's called to halve the power... I need feedback on this. Also, what batteries do you recommend? I've seen people recommend turnigy and gens ace brand, and to stay away from venom.
  • Charger: No idea - What should I buy? I'm probably not going to need a DC charger, but if a quality charger happens to include both AC/DC mode I'll get it.
  • Servos - not sure, still learning about them. I'll need 2 servos for 4WS.
  • TX/RX - I'm still figuring that out, but I'm leaning towards either a FlySky GT3C or something from Spektrum. I'll have to figure this out myself I think, I'm not done researching. Another requirement is that this radio will have to control 2 other vehicles - a nitro blizzard and a blizzard EV.
I think that's everything. I'll either use deans or traxxas connectors for everything, depending on what I buy. Please let me know your thoughts on my parts list (especially the battery and charger). Thanks for reading! :)
Rob

andymac0035
Administrator

Re: New Clod Buster, lots of electrical parts questions!

Post by andymac0035 » Tue May 26, 2015 4:19 am

Running the stock motors on a 3S lipo in a stock truck is fine and will not hurt them.
Your not going to (easily) fit titans in with the stock suspension, and if only going as high as 3S, titans would be a waste.
the EVX-2 has BEC and will indeed run 2 servos unless you are using something incredibly strong, but I'm betting you won't.
The servo that CPE sells would be what I recommend (and use)
I've been using traxxas radio systems, but there are many out there to choose from.
I've been getting batteries form SPC Racing http://spcracingbatteries.com/index.php ... ry&path=59
SMC is supposed to be good also. http://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?route=common/home

I've been using the Thunder AC6 charger from hobbypartz.com and it is pretty good for such a low-budget charger. Next time around I may try the AC680 just for a little more power.

xDezor
Approved Member

Post by xDezor » Tue May 26, 2015 4:56 am

Thanks for the reply! What does the 40/50/60C represent in terms of batteries?
Rob

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Tue May 26, 2015 4:05 pm

C rating is the discharge rate the battery is capable of maintaining. The higher that number is, the more punch that battery will have.

HOWEVER.....

Not all companies C ratings are created equal. So if you find a battery you think has really impressive specs, you may want to ask around and see if those #'s are for real. I race SCT and buggy class in addition to building monsters. One guy had a 70C venom battery, and just got a 60C SMC..... that SMC was a LOT more powerful than the venom.

I would not put too much emphasis on getting a super-high powered battery if your just going to run stock power and/or are not looking for hi speeds. A nice 40-50C battery will serve you just fine.

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Wed May 27, 2015 12:45 am

Rob, Andy made some good suggestions for you. As for tools, the Clod uses Phillips head screws so a good screw driver set will definitely be a wise decision. I use a set of "T" Handle Hex drivers from Harbor Freight I bought SEA and Metric and they work great and will not break the bank. We have a few stores local so check them out. I also have a set of AE hex drivers as well for when I am running RC's away from home.

Blue Loctite is a another must have in the tool box. Use it for hardware that is metal on metal, i.e. hex head on pinion gears.

For your build, Be fore you start, get a complete set of bearings for it before you start your build. I ordered a set from CPE. His site is listed in the Companies section here on Clodtalk. Beware, you will see a ton of items you WILL want for your Clod. :mrgreen: Let us know if you have any questions on particular items, as it can be overwhelming.

I hope this helps and look forward to your build.
Jeff

xDezor
Approved Member

Post by xDezor » Wed May 27, 2015 2:38 am

Thanks for the help guys!

The servo that CPE sells was my first choice, but unfortunately it's out of stock on the website. I'm not in a super hurry, I'm just kind of worried about waiting for something that might not ever be restocked (It seems a lot of Clod hop-up parts seem to be "limited supply" :? ). Should I wait it out or try looking for an alternative?

3S LiPo it is! =D> Thank you for the two links, Andy, I've got reading to do. I'll get either an SPC or SMC battery and run the stock motors.
SMC Website wrote:There is also no official standard on how to calculate C rates
HA, I knew it! :lol: I actually found a MIT paper which describes it, but what you said earlier was right.

The charger looks good. Thunder AC6 added to my cart along with FastEddy bearings.

Good call on the loctite, I'll try and get that locally along with tools. Bah, I really hate philips-head screws, especially self tapping screws.
SFC K wrote:For your build, Be fore you start, get a complete set of bearings for it before you start your build. I ordered a set from CPE. His site is listed in the Companies section here on Clodtalk. Beware, you will see a ton of items you WILL want for your Clod. :mrgreen:
Oh you have no idea. After I found that site I was thinking "well why did you even order the kit... all you needed were axels." :mrgreen:
Rob

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Wed May 27, 2015 5:15 am

Before you go too crazy looking around at all the options you just found... :shock:
You may want to read this:
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=27443

rex21
Approved Member

Post by rex21 » Wed May 27, 2015 11:01 am

Those guys made great suggestions already.
All I can add is:
Order a screw kit or screw assortment to eliminate the phillips screws.
Check these guys out for batteries as well:http://www.valuehobby.com/ I have been running them in my clod for quite a while now.
If you need parts, R/C Car Kings stocks most clod parts. Not too far from you, and their prices beat online for clod parts.