ESC question

Discuss all the facets of R/C electronics here.
CLE-0129
Approved Member

ESC question

Post by CLE-0129 » Thu May 07, 2015 5:07 pm

Well I keep going back and forth on which way I want to build up my clod. Think I've settled on just making it slow and a crawler. I have found an esc at my local hobby shop that says it's motor limit is anything over 30+ turn brushed motor. If I put a couple 55T motors in my truck would this esc handle it? It also has an external bec on it but didn't know if it will handle the dual motors. I know people have used the xl-5 with dual motors but don't know about this one. Here is the link I found for it online.http://store.rc4wd.com/Outcry-Crawler-S ... p_666.html

andymac0035
Administrator

Re: ESC question

Post by andymac0035 » Thu May 07, 2015 10:11 pm

I'd pass on that on.

Even though I was recently mad at castle.... my issue was with their motors, not esc's.....
So I'd go sidewinder (SV3) in this case, and if you later want faster motors you can do that too.
More importantly, the sidewinder is programmable with a drag brake for crawling and has brushed mode.

CLE-0129
Approved Member

Post by CLE-0129 » Thu May 07, 2015 11:11 pm

What are some reasons that you would pass on that ESC? I'm not really looking to dump a bunch of money onto an esc that is mainly set up to do brush less when I'm going to stick with a brushed motor. I'm trying to do this as a budget truck just to get it back up and going so I can play with my son. Would that esc work with a couple 55T motors hooked to it?

rex21
Approved Member

Post by rex21 » Fri May 08, 2015 4:24 am

Are you going to only crawl with this? If so, I would recommend an ESC with drag brake for sure. Any ESC that can handle a single 27 turn can handle two 55 turns. When I had a Clod based super class crawler I ran 55 turns with 9 tooth pinions on a Rooster crawler ESC. Very Smooth on the rocks.

If you want drag brake, look for a used Novak Rooster Crawler, or a Sidewinder like Andy said.

Unless you don't care if you can stop on a hill, then the free XL5 would work fine.

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Fri May 08, 2015 10:20 pm

If you are on a budget try the Hobbyking brushed esc. Costs about $10 and has a drag brake. I run one in my Clod Crawler with 2x27t motors in it.