titan issues

Discuss all the facets of R/C electronics here.
andymac0035
Administrator

Re: titan issues

Post by andymac0035 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:07 pm

nosyajg wrote:Hard to strip gears when you're moving too slow... :lol:
You've seen vids of that truck in action.... you know better. :nana:

lilintimidator
Approved Member

Post by lilintimidator » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:40 am

Alright I got a metal hardware pack I today. I have installed the motor spacer tubes dropped bat to 17t pinions, broke in yet another set of motors :censored: , and set the mesh a little loose ( piece of paper folded in half ). Going to give it another shot tomorrow and cross my fingers NO MORE SMOKE :explosion:

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:13 am

I'm no expert in gear mesh, infact I'm still a newbie..... when I was having issues in burning out motors on my Ground Pounder (I think I burnt our 3 or 4) I was using the piece of paper backlash method. I then tried paper folded over and then folded over again. The only way in the end I could get it set right was to do it by eye and set it really loose. It didn't look right, but I never burnt out another motor or stripped a spur.

JKRacing37
Approved Member

Post by JKRacing37 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:57 pm

The paper method is garbage. Seriously. It's very easy to set it too tight using the paper method.

Irio - esos
Approved Member

Post by Irio - esos » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:50 pm

Just set it loose enough that it lightly ticks back and forth. Has worked for me for years.

lilintimidator
Approved Member

Post by lilintimidator » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:34 pm

That is what I have now. Unfortunately I have been so busy at work I have not had a chance to try out anything :cry: I have always set my gear mesh by eye and never had any issues before, im just grasping for a reason for burning up motors

Dukk
Approved Member

Post by Dukk » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:12 pm

Irio - esos wrote:Just set it loose enough that it lightly ticks back and forth. Has worked for me for years.
Yep, this is what I do - just a little wiggle on one while holding the other is what I look for. I read an article not too long ago by some high-up at RRP if I recall correctly and he said that using paper to set mesh was one of the worst methods out there. I found that funny because almost every kit manufacturer recommends it. #-o

TnTpoof
Banned Member

Post by TnTpoof » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:47 pm

burning motors..reasons I know..
gear mesh to tight..
something is binding ..
no schotky diode so hall effect is cooking motors when brakes or rev is applied..
wrong gearing either to large or to small a pinion..
bad battery's loosing voltage so amps at motors smokes them..
excessive run times with not enough cool down time..
too large a load on motors from weight or other 's goes to binding issue..

lilintimidator
Approved Member

Post by lilintimidator » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:15 am

TnTpoof I think you may have got it. I was looking at my batteries last night and found the neg lead at the deans only attached by the shrink tubing #-o :censored: I cant believed I missed it :shock:

Gunder463

Post by Gunder463 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:24 am

lilintimidator wrote:TnTpoof I think you may have got it. I was looking at my batteries last night and found the neg lead at the deans only attached by the shrink tubing #-o :censored: I cant believed I missed it :shock:
thats it then, it was sending intermittent bursts of power

TnTpoof
Banned Member

Post by TnTpoof » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:11 am

Your welcome..repair run a few packs and let us know..

dubbl-a
Approved Member

Post by dubbl-a » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:57 pm

andymac0035 wrote:If you mean the metal tubes?....... that might do it. These gear cases do flex, your motors might start out good and then move causing binding after the initial instal.
I use the tubes with mine. I drilled the clear covers so that the tubes pass through them, and those washers are actually spacers to make everything flush.

I thought about the metal tubes when I put on the adjustble motor mounts...but since they didn't fit I just moved on and didn't think they were nessessary with the new motor mounts. #-o Now I'm thinking I should put them back on but I havn't burnt up any Titans yet. After a few hard runs with the 17t pinions on I noticed my rear motor was starting to wear out but definatly not burning up. But I have been beating on these motors all last winter and now into summer so I'm thinking its just wear and tear on the motors.

lilintimidator
Approved Member

Post by lilintimidator » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:08 am

sorry I have been gone sooo long, however I was able to find the culprit. it was the locked rear diff. I guess with the larger pinions it just put too much strain on the rear motor. I put in a new set of open diff gears and 19 tooth pinions, and have run several packs of batteries with no :explosion: