titan issues

Discuss all the facets of R/C electronics here.
lilintimidator
Approved Member

Re: titan issues

Post by lilintimidator » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:06 am

stock tires i guess im gonna try a few packs and not hammer it to see what happens

lilintimidator
Approved Member

Post by lilintimidator » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:27 pm

I finally got some time and good weather today. The first set of packs I was easy and did a break-in on the new motors. The second set I ran the poop out of them, it ran great for about 10 min checked the temp and it was high. let it coo for 5 min and went back to it. It lasted maybe 6-7 more min then smoke on the rear motor :explosion: :censored: . I do have heatsinks but they don't seem to help. I was running on dry, low cut grass. I guess im gonna have to drop to 17 or 15 tooth pinions :?: , I really don't want to. anymore insite would greatly be appreciated :idea:

Gunder463

Post by Gunder463 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:28 pm

brushless :P no more poof on the motors

lilintimidator
Approved Member

Post by lilintimidator » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:52 pm

Yea its getting to that point :censored:

TnTpoof
Banned Member

Post by TnTpoof » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:24 pm

sorry but I think you would smoke anything u have.. I think its the way you run.. You can not run pack after pack and think you will not kill or smoke stuff just no gonna happen..so maybe not run pack after pack after pack and just run 1 pack wait while ur esc and motors cool down VIA FANS and then run again..I have just a couple vehicles I can run for hours with out worrying about hurting..and they are built to do long runs on Half the needed voltage ..so 3 cells instead of 6..

lilintimidator
Approved Member

Post by lilintimidator » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:05 pm

Its not back to back like that, its was 2 hrs between battery charging, the short runs were on the same set of packs. I can get 20-25 min on a set of batteries even with 19t pinions

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:59 am

lilintimidator wrote: I do have heatsinks but they don't seem to help.
Please tell me that these do NOT cover any of the motor holes.

I finally wore out the rear motor on my set, but the brushes were worn way down.... heck I've been running these since summertime.

lilintimidator
Approved Member

Post by lilintimidator » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:05 pm

no they are integty for 540 cans so they are short

JKRacing37
Approved Member

Post by JKRacing37 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:45 pm

There must be binding somewhere or your pinion mesh is too tight...something! I know issues like this are maddening.

I'd disassemble the rear gearbox and check all bearings. Make sure you are not using too much grease on the gears as that can put an insane amount of load on the motor. Once all gears check out and you have a ligh coat of grease on the gear faces only, reassemble the gearbox, leave the motor out, and re-test the drag of the gearbox. Make sure everything is free and smooth. There is a chance that if the gearbox halves are somehow misaligned they could be putting a ton of drag on the system. Also, this tidbit from RCCrawler:

"With any of the homebrew methods you'll have to be careful not to get any of the glue materials on the spur gear surfaces or in the hex/shaft holes. Also, these methods require that you keep the gears aligned squarely on each other so the axle hexes and axle shafts do not want to bind when they rotate."

http://www.rccrawler.com/clodlocker.htm

Once everything checks out reinstall the motor and check the pinion mesh. What system are you using for mounting the motors with 19T pinions? If it's homebrew make sure the motor is squared up to the gearbox and itsn't putting the pinion on an angle causing excess pressure.

As a final test if you have a meter that measures current test the current pull of the front gearbox vs the rear with the truck raised up off the ground. They chould be very close. If the rear is drawing a lot more current then you will have to re-open the gearbox and look for what is binding or causing the excess drag / current pull.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:08 pm

+1 on gearmesh.
I take the axle off the truck, that is where that D-battery come's into play.
I keep adjusting it till it spins over really freely, and looks like this:

lilintimidator
Approved Member

Post by lilintimidator » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:28 am

I have done the "d" cell test and my mesh is actually not even thet tight. I do wonder though if the motor is cocking because im not using the factory bolt spacers

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:15 am

If you mean the metal tubes?....... that might do it. These gear cases do flex, your motors might start out good and then move causing binding after the initial instal.
I use the tubes with mine. I drilled the clear covers so that the tubes pass through them, and those washers are actually spacers to make everything flush.

nosyajg
Approved Member

Post by nosyajg » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:20 pm

Hey Andy, personally I'd run the mesh a little looser than the picture you posted up...I'd consider that a bit too tight for my own preferences...but if it works for you =D>

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:28 pm

That was my first instal, and later I did make it a tad looser, but this was the only pic I had.
The thing for me is using that D-battery and listening to the gears mesh. I would keep adjusting it till it was as tight as I could get it, without any increase in gear noise. If the gear noise changed pitch (got louder) I'd back it off.

I am really a fanatic about gear mesh though....probably why I never stripped a (48p) spur gear on the wraith-buster. :mrgreen:

nosyajg
Approved Member

Post by nosyajg » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:18 pm

Hard to strip gears when you're moving too slow... :lol: