titan issues

Discuss all the facets of R/C electronics here.
lilintimidator
Approved Member

titan issues

Post by lilintimidator » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:47 pm

Im running a evx-2 on 4s (2X2S) with dual titan 550s. I did change the gearing to 19t pinions. The issue is I keep burning up the rear motor, :explosion: it may last 2 packs. They are the 21 std and reverse motors. The rear diff. is also locked. when I was running 13t pinions and 1- 3s I had no issue but it was a little slow. wondering if anyone has had this problem, should I drop back in pinions, unlock the diff. I really like how the truck runs but its getting expensive and annoying having to change motors so often. oh I did check the gear mesh and the last time I actually set it a little loose.

lilintimidator
Approved Member

Re: titan issues

Post by lilintimidator » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:01 pm

I forgot to mention that I am running mostly on hard dirt, however this last time was in some light snow 1 1/2 deep. When it happens there is little warning light puff of smoke then just dead :roll: . it was running great stopped and stabbed the throttle :mrgreen: , but the back did nothing. I also use my rear steer sometimes too 3rd channel.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:07 pm

lilintimidator wrote: The rear diff. is also locked.
How did you lock it? If you glued it, it might not be running true and binding on you.
Or you may have binding elsewere.
Did you grind the inside of the case to ensure the pinion is not hitting?

First try removing your rear motor and seeing if the gearcase will spin freely.
If it doesn't... there's your problem.

If it does spin freely, remove the axle from the truck.
Reinstall your motor, and see if a D-cell battery will make it spin the axle over.
If it won't spin, you've got binding somewhere.
You might have to grind the case some more, replace the diff, or remove some shims.
If removing shims, pull the ones from the outer axle tube first.

I've been churning through the snow on 4S just fine, heck at night the motors glow from all the juice.

lilintimidator
Approved Member

Post by lilintimidator » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:27 pm

I have checked all of that and everything is smooth and turns free. The diff lock is glued factory gears though. I double checked the case for clearence and no problems. Do you think i may have an esc issue. I also saw smoke from the front motor later as i was doing some checking

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:44 pm

No, I don't think it's an esc issue. Anything is possible I suppose, but I don't think it's likely.
Typically, if your having motor failures, something is getting hot and melting.

With the axle off the truck, and tires off the axle, a D-battery should be able to easily make the titan spin the gears over. If that's the case, then you have no binding. That motor is rated for 4S, and it can handle that gear ratio just fine. So unless you've got defective motors, the only other thing I can think of to ask is if they are installed correctly (?) meaning standard rotation up front, and reverse rotation in the rear.

There's got to be some simple little thing we are missing here.

lilintimidator
Approved Member

Post by lilintimidator » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:53 pm

Im thinking that too. Im waiting for a new set of motors then i will double check with a d battery and get back to you :mrgreen:

91lxcoupe
Approved Member

Post by 91lxcoupe » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:03 am

I also run the titans on 4s with no issues

JKRacing37
Approved Member

Post by JKRacing37 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:09 pm

19T pinions are huge, that is a big jump from the stock 13T pinions.

The rear motor will always be under the greatest load and will always show the most wear / wear the fastest. If I were a gambling man I'd say the gearing change is your culprit.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:48 pm

Since I'm running that gear ratio, I can tell you it's not. Clods are geared really low, so there is lots of room for gearing up. The clod's (stock) 30:1 gear ratio is a far cry from the 20:1 ratio of the e-maxx and e-revo that these motors were designed to run on, and clods weigh less on top of all that. Putting 19t pinions in my clod gave it the same top speed as a stock e-maxx with stock gearing.

lilintimidator
Approved Member

Post by lilintimidator » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:14 pm

ok I got a rear motor in today. it is a reverse rotation. I broke it in, lubed it up and installed it into the rear. Hooked up the D battery and everything works very smooth :? . Now i'm in a dilemma, i'm not sure what is going on. I'm using Turnigy 5000 2s with a 60c discharge rate, are the batteries possibly the issue :|

Gunder463

Post by Gunder463 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:27 pm

check there voltage when they charge, if there reading good than there shouldnt be any issues there...

lilintimidator
Approved Member

Post by lilintimidator » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:45 pm

They are new packs and have only run a few cycles through them but so far the final voltage has been within 2/10ths of a volt of each other. The cells on each pack also stay within .05-.1 of each while charging.

Gunder463

Post by Gunder463 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:53 pm

then those definitely should be okay, it must be the esc....seems like thats the only thing left but see what andy says here when he sees what ya posted. he might shed some light.

lilintimidator
Approved Member

Post by lilintimidator » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:37 am

Thanks gunder I thought they were ok just wanted to be sure. I did just remember that I did not break in the last set of motors ](*,) . could this have had contributed to my problems

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:23 am

I don't think break-in is all that critical, but it is a very good idea.
Try taking it easy on your motors for the first pack.

Are you running stock-sized tires on that?
I ask, because if you had jumbo kongs on there....... that would do it.