Matched Madness reverse rotation has failed - now normal

Discuss all the facets of R/C electronics here.
szac

Matched Madness reverse rotation has failed - now normal

Post by szac » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:34 pm

I picked up a vintage Clod with the Matched Madness motors and dual Novak T1X's installed. Here's a timeline of events:
  1. I swapped out the ESC's with a VXL
  2. After about a minute in to the first test run I heard a loud pop and saw smoke
  3. In spite of the theatrics the motors seemed to be fine and still working as expected
  4. Finished up the build (I took pics for a build thread) and ran a full pack through them. Got the loud pop and smoke 30 seconds in but it didn't seem to phase the motors. Was a fun pack!
  5. The next day (yesterday) the snow was a lot deeper and the rear, reverse rotation motor stopped working after about 5 min. Front motor was fine, and pulled the Clod along ok.
  6. I took it apart, rebuilt, and noticed the large capacitor has separated
  7. I installed it back in to the Clod and the rear motor is working again, but now with normal rotation only
So.... simply switch out the capacitor and I'm back in business? Are there other, hidden bits to the circuit that creates the reversal?

NOUSEFORANAME
Approved Member

Re: Matched Madness reverse rotation has failed - now normal

Post by NOUSEFORANAME » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:15 pm

Capacitor is only there to filter out electrical noise to prevent damage to the esc and reciever interference.

The only thing that would cause the motor to change direction is motor wires being reversed or endbell rotated 180 degrees.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:58 pm

Open endbell motors foul out in the snow rather easily (LOL..... and I would know)..... :mrgreen:

Are you using 2S or 3S lipo?

If 2S, your probably okay for a while.
If 3S..... what can I say.... enjoy it while it lasts. :) :(

NOUSEFORANAME
Approved Member

Post by NOUSEFORANAME » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:22 pm

andymac0035 wrote:Open endbell motors foul out in the snow rather easily (LOL..... and I would know)..... :mrgreen:
Yes they do, mine would always get a bunch of black goop from the brushes on the rear motor, I put a ballon on each motor and solved that problem.

szac

Post by szac » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:36 pm

NOUSEFORANAME wrote:Capacitor is only there to filter out electrical noise to prevent damage to the esc and reciever interference.

The only thing that would cause the motor to change direction is motor wires being reversed or endbell rotated 180 degrees.
Ahh I must have rotated the endbell. Thanks!! I'm actually enjoying catching up with the ins and outs of brushed motor care. I intend to only used brushed motors in this vintage Clod. My other Clod will get the race chassis and 550's.

szac

Post by szac » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:38 pm

andymac0035 wrote:Open endbell motors foul out in the snow rather easily (LOL..... and I would know)..... :mrgreen:

Are you using 2S or 3S lipo?

If 2S, your probably okay for a while.
If 3S..... what can I say.... enjoy it while it lasts. :) :(
2S Lipos. I also switched to the less firm, glued vintage Clod tires. Pretty sure that contributed to the extra load in addition to the deep snow.

Thanks for the help, guys.

szac

Post by szac » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:45 pm

Rotated the endbell and I'm back in business. Thanks! Thinking about it more, makes sense how a full 180 will cause the reversal. It's essentially moving the timing all the way, right?

taz11
Approved Member

Post by taz11 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:53 pm

NOUSEFORANAME wrote:
Yes they do, mine would always get a bunch of black goop from the brushes on the rear motor, I put a ballon on each motor and solved that problem.

Doesn't that make the motors run hot?
No space for shelf queens.....use it or loose it!

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:56 pm

When they are caked in snow...... it's not really an issue. :wink:

NOUSEFORANAME
Approved Member

Post by NOUSEFORANAME » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:16 pm

taz11 wrote:
NOUSEFORANAME wrote:

Doesn't that make the motors run hot?
Nope, barely get warm enough to melt snow, and those were 17T Trinity Speed Gems.