Battery problems

Discuss all the facets of R/C electronics here.
65belair

Battery problems

Post by 65belair » Fri May 31, 2013 10:37 pm

Tried charging my lipo battery today and got a battery volt error reading. according to the manual it says the voltage may be too low and the battery damaged. Its a gens ace 2s 7.4v 40c 5000mah lipo charged on an Onyyx 230. I did notice it seems to be slightly swollen. Still fairly new to lipos and just want to reconfirm this is what happened before I chuck it and get a new one. I've run these before in my Traxxas slash which has the low voltage detection esc, the only other time they've been on anything else was trying to set up a new esc (evx-2). It is possible this battery needed charging when I hooked it up to the clod with another charged battery, but it was only turned on for a few minutes, not even ran. Any help is appreciated.

andymac0035
Administrator

Re: Battery problems

Post by andymac0035 » Fri May 31, 2013 10:47 pm

It's very possible.

You can charge that for like a minute in nimh-mode and "IF" the cells are okay, they will take a charge and come up to a level above 3.0v per cell so that you can do a normal lipo balance charge.

That is what "I" would do. There is a risk involved, and if you have a lipo sack, you should use it.

Again, disclaimer....there is a risk.....but if it were me, that is what I would do.... charge it in nimh mode till it's voltage is high enough to switch to lipo mode.

Also, I noticed your using a 230..... you do have an in-line balancer correct?

65belair

Post by 65belair » Fri May 31, 2013 10:58 pm

Do I just set it to the same cell,mah rating but in nimh instead of lipo? and how many volts is high enough to switch to lipo setting. And what kind of risks are we talking about? No inline balancer, before buying my lipos and charger I talked to the LHS (not so local, about 45 min. to an hour away but closest one to me) said it really wasen't needed. I take it that is wrong?

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:02 am

I actually am astonished any LHS would say that. :thumbsdown:
While it is less of a deal with 2S, there's a reason these batteries have a balance port.

The thing is, unless you can find a cheap in-line balancer, you are probably better off just to buy a thunder AC6.

Anyway, back to the issue at hand. Remembering the settings of the 230 (I used to have one).... I would say set it for 6-cell nimh and try charging it like that for short periods, till it gets the voltage high enough to switch to lipo mode.

Set it to charge @ 5A and keep an eye on it.
If starts to puff even more, it might be a lost cause.

65belair

Post by 65belair » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:25 pm

Ok, will give that a try (fingers crossed). I found one balancer, will this one do the trick? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Common-Sense-Rc ... 2c6e9822a3. Also where's a good place to get decently priced batteries? I think I got my last ones from hobby partz last time but they are all out of stock. Would also like to stick with Gens Ace.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:18 pm

That balancer looks like it would work for you, only one real way to find out though. I like that it's a cell-checker too.

Hobby parts is the only place to get gens ace (other than ebay).
The turnigy batteries from hobby king are pretty good.

lately people have been buying a brand called "G-force", reviews have been goood so far.
Not sure who sells them though.

Another good brand is SPC. They cost more, but those that have them (that I know and trust) really like them.

Thunder VP
Business Member

Post by Thunder VP » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:45 pm

The G-Force batteries are available through Value Hobby.
http://www.valuehobby.com/power-systems ... -case.html
They just got in some of the 2S shorty packs that alot of the MT guys are switching to since they take up less space in the chassis.
They also have good deals on motors and HobbyWing ESCs, Flysky radios, chargers, connectors ect.
Brad, Thunder Tech Racing V.P.
http://www.thundertechracing.com

JKRacing37
Approved Member

Post by JKRacing37 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:59 am

Two big thumbs up for G-Force lipos.

The only bad thing about them as they are getting more popular they are out of stock more. Great batteries at great prices.

CarolinaShortCourse
Approved Member

Post by CarolinaShortCourse » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:27 pm

I have been running SpeedZone Lipo's lately in my SC trucks. I will be running them in my Clods as well. Really a good value and the customer support is great too.

Tony A

Post by Tony A » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:38 pm

I am new to this group. I just took my Clod Buster out of storage from approximately 12 years of non use. I only have nica batteries and a nicad charger. I need yo purchase new batteries and I'm looking for some help.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:41 am

Tony A wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:38 pm
I am new to this group. I just took my Clod Buster out of storage from approximately 12 years of non use. I only have nica batteries and a nicad charger. I need yo purchase new batteries and I'm looking for some help.
First question would be if you are okay with ordering online?
If yes, then you have many choices, and we'll get into those after you answer (if yes, that is).

Next thing would be can you solder?
(because not all new batteries come with the connector you will want)
(you will want some kind of high current connector, and there are many to choose from)

If you can't solder, or don't want to order online, you will probably be spending a bit at a hobby shop, but that's not always a bad thing.

Your battery type choices are nickle (NiMh) or LiPo (lithium polymer). LiPo's are all the rage these days, but some of the old school guys still resist them.

Tony A

Post by Tony A » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:50 pm

I can soder and I'm willing to purchase online, bring me some good news!

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:22 am

This brand is pretty popular. http://www.smc-racing.net/

As are these, and they sell chargers too. You will need a lipo capable charger.
Try to stick to using their USA based warehouses if you order from them.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/
https://hobbyking.com/

Tony A

Post by Tony A » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:05 pm

Trying not be ignorant but do you know which packs and charger I should order?

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:08 am

I need to know if you wish to make the jump to Lipo? Or stay with nickle batteries.

I also forgot to ask what kind of speed controller you were using?
If you are using the old mechanical one your going to need to upgrade that (if going lipo).

As far as what charger, I would say order the a "thinder" charger (from hobbypartz), either the AC6. or AC680, they are a good value for the money.

Another thing to talk about here is that (if going LiPo) a 2-cell lipo is like a 7-cell nickle, BUT the stock motors will tale a 3-cell LiPo, and that would really perk up your truck.
Also, in "lipo-speak" they refer to that as 2S (2 cells in series) or 3S (3cells in series).

So basically you need to decide if you just want to get your truck running again, or if you want to upgrade it a little and spend some extra money on it.